DZ license in Ontario

Advancements, reviews, maintenance questions, discuss anything apparatus related...
nrikas

Postby nrikas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 am

Hi Guys,

I just spoke with a lady from a local driving school and she informed me that I will be denied from doing the D driving test unless I am able to show that I have completed a certified air brake course with certificate in hand. Only with this will they allow me to do the D portion of the driving test even though I have personally written both the D and Z at the MTO. She advised that the only other option based on what I already have on hand is to arrive with an appropriate DZ truck for the test.

Could anyone confirm this for me?

Thank you

QWEST6

Postby QWEST6 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:27 pm

"nrikas" wrote:Hi Guys,

I just spoke with a lady from a local driving school and she informed me that I will be denied from doing the D driving test unless I am able to show that I have completed a certified air brake course with certificate in hand. Only with this will they allow me to do the D portion of the driving test even though I have personally written both the D and Z at the MTO. She advised that the only other option based on what I already have on hand is to arrive with an appropriate DZ truck for the test.

Could anyone confirm this for me?

Thank you

Nrikas,

I have had my "DZ" for over three years now. I also wrote the tests at an MTO licencing location. This entitled me to drive a truck with airbrakes WITH a fully DZ licenced driver. The written part at MTO was basically for my D beginers licence.
When I did my road test I had to have a truck with airbrakes and do a complete circle check , complete airbrake check including mark and measure and then the actual driving road test with an MTO examiner.
I hope this helps and good luck.

Q
:beerglass: QWEST6 :beerglass:

nrikas

Postby nrikas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:02 am

Hi QWEST6,

All the input here helped although here it is in a nutshell as I just wrapped it up today. There are a few ways to skin this cat but here is what I did not have anyone with a SZ license to help me out.

1-From any MTO or Drive Test location pick up an Air Brake and D Truck Handbook and a Medical form and have your Doctor complete it.

2.Once you have finished your studies you will return to your local Drive Test location and submit the completed medical form and ask to write the D and the Z exams. You will have to write a road sign exam also. Within minutes after passing your exam, go back to the inforamtion counter in the Drive Test facility and book a D test or a DZ(only if you are 100% certain you have a friend who can get you a DZ truck for the test otherwise just book the D...this is what I did) for an afternoon appointment.

3.Now that I had my date booked for the D test I then called Ryder and reserved a 24 foot straight truck with hydraulic brakes on my G license.

4.While I waited for my D I wrapped up my Z endorsment by calling a school that offers Z courses seperatly and asked if I could use their truck for the Z test. I had to pay for the use of the truck and 40 dollars for MTO test fees. I also paid an additional 60 dollars for one on one instruction which was provided for me one hour prioir to my Z test.

5.The day of my D test. I rented the truck from Ryder at 12pm. Tell Ryder that this is your first time ever renting a truck like this and that you want one of their reps to go through a walkaround with you. They had no problem sending a guy out to do this for me. I then drove around the city for a while. Stopped at an empty parking lot and did some practice back ups. I also took some time to read the truck manual provided by Ryder. My appointment was for 3:30. I showed up at 3 pm and off I wient. Road test was very straight forward...no tricks.

All inclusive including doctor fees cost me 500 dollars and three(Exams,Z test,D test) half days of my time

I hope this helps anyone else who might not have the time or would like to save a few hundred dollars.

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jordantellier

Postby jordantellier » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:17 am

just to confirm this

if i get the air brake text book from Canadian tire, read and study, and go to my local MTO and write the written exam. does that not give me my Z endorsement?

or do i actually have to go and take a course and get my certificate and then i am Z endorsed?

jordantellier

Postby jordantellier » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:23 am

also what medical form is needed for this license class?

im looking at getting my BZ, as it was suggested earlier

im looking online, and don't see anything for the medical forms?

b3harris

Just working on the same thing

Postby b3harris » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:03 pm

I just walked into the walk in clinic and told them that I needed a medical form for driving a class Truck. They got out the form and filled it out for me. Checked me over and did a couple tests etc.

As for the Z portion. I took a course. I think that you could do the test and do well but the lady I took it from in the guelph area was amazing. Ripped the whole brake components down and showed every part of the system made it real clear for everyone. Provided the test practical and written. (tractor Trailer)

[email protected] is her email shes north of guelph. I have to say she's pretty amazing.

I am reading over the Official MTO Truck handbook right now. any advice from anyone?

Been putting it off

Billy Harris

Aerial1

DZ Licence

Postby Aerial1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:33 pm

I recently obtained my DFZ Licence through a Fire Rescue
training school in Hamilton Ontario. The owner and instructors
are active firefighters and were amazing in providing hands on
emergency vehicle defensive driver training. The fire trucks used
for the training were fully loaded with all equipment,hose and
1000 gallons of water in the tank making the handling of the truck
through various obstacles realistic. This school also offers a
pre-service student special for this program of $690.00 for nineteen
hours of training getting you a DFZ at the end the F is for ambulance.
I recommend this program highly just for the fact that you are being
trained by firefighters on real fire trucks for the cost of trying to wing
a road test at the MTO using a uhaul or ryder truck. Make sure to inform
the staff at the school that you need the licence for the fire service and
they will walk you through all the steps needed to successfully complete
your program, the ladies there were of great help. The name of the school
is Modern Training Ontario / moderntraining.com

Best of luck !

boogs82

Postby boogs82 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:23 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board. Quick solution to this is to become a police officer. Then you can drive any vehicle (except a motorcycle!) in an emergency situation!

On a serious note. I'm looking at going for my DZ as I've recently been hired by a volunteer fire station. I'm looking at avoiding taking a course as the money's just not there right now for it. I have an Air Brake book from a course that my brother-in-law took. He loaned it to me and suggested that I give it a read through. He's also with a fire department in the area.

I'm looking at challenging the DZ written exams and going back with the truck from the hall in order to complete the practical exams. I've already completed my medical and it will be filed. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long the written exams will be valid for until I have to go for the road test and practical. I'm looking at getting as much driving experience as possible before going for the these.

Thanks for the help.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 am

"boogs82" wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board. Quick solution to this is to become a police officer. Then you can drive any vehicle (except a motorcycle!) in an emergency situation!

On a serious note. I'm looking at going for my DZ as I've recently been hired by a volunteer fire station. I'm looking at avoiding taking a course as the money's just not there right now for it. I have an Air Brake book from a course that my brother-in-law took. He loaned it to me and suggested that I give it a read through. He's also with a fire department in the area.

I'm looking at challenging the DZ written exams and going back with the truck from the hall in order to complete the practical exams. I've already completed my medical and it will be filed. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long the written exams will be valid for until I have to go for the road test and practical. I'm looking at getting as much driving experience as possible before going for the these.

Thanks for the help.

It is good for a year as far as I recall.Make sure you have your circle check down pat.

FYI a copper cant drive an ambulance either

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

boogs82

Postby boogs82 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 am

Actually they can. Same as a firefighter can if need be.
Highway Traffic Act of Ontario, Regulation 340/94 wrote:22. Any class of driver’s licence, except a Class G1, G2, M, M1 or M2 driver’s licence, is authority for,

(a) a police officer or an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of the Act to drive a motor vehicle of any class including a vehicle equipped with air brakes, other than a motorcycle, on a highway in an emergency and in the performance of his or her duties under the Act;

(a.1) a firefighter, as defined in subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, to drive a motor vehicle of any class including a vehicle equipped with air brakes, other than a motorcycle, on a highway in an emergency and in the performance of his or her duties under that Act; and

(b) a motor vehicle mechanic to drive a motor vehicle of any class including a vehicle equipped with air brakes, other than a motorcycle, on a highway while carrying out a road test of the vehicle in the course of servicing it. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 22; O. Reg. 115/03, s. 1; O. Reg. 83/05, s. 14.