Suicide

We all know anyone involved in the firefighting and rescue community is no stranger to stress...
BigDawg99

Suicide

Postby BigDawg99 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:47 am

Around the end of October,,we received a pager call where a young girl had mentioned she was going to go and hang herself..we started the search and could not find this 13 year old girl.I drove By the Ball Park in my own Truck trying to get a glimpse of something in the woods..i had seen something red hanging from a tree with a whole bunch of Garbage around..so i went on with my search,,i just couldnt get it out of my head,,so i went back to the scene again and looked once more with my truck lights..still couldnt get a positive ID,,i went back to the truck and went to the Fire station where we had a briefing..i told my Chief and Captain that there is something there and i need someone to go and check with me,,so we grabbed Flash Lights and we all proceeded to the scene..We exited our Vehicles and made our way to where the red debris was hanging from a tree..i inched in closer and closer and finally seen some arms and Hair..i dropped to my knees and gave a Big yelping cry...we notified the police and the Coroner of the location...I went through extreme emotional Stress and almost a Breakdown..Not because it was some Girl Hanging from a tree,,,It;s because it was my 13 year old Baby Sister... I found my 13 year old Baby sister hanging from a tree DOA...we went through de-briefing with the psychologists and the chief,,deputy chief and our captains and members..Its not one of us who suffers when we are called to a scene,,its our fire Fighter Family that suffers along side of you....
Last edited by BigDawg99 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:52 am

My Deepest simpathies BigDawg...

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:48 am

No one should have to deal with that kind of shit.
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

FitSsikS

Postby FitSsikS » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:31 am

"itsnotahobby" wrote:No one should have to deal with that kind of shit.

Yeah no one should have to deal with this kind of $hit.

I'm curious, did the media put a spin on this case?

Was she a victim of cyberbullying or was she one of the many aboriginal youth (from that area) that seem to choose suicide?

*Sorry, just noticed the "baby sister" part, I really thought you meant to type "baby sitter".
Last edited by FitSsikS on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On paid duty 24/7........................a month.

MrFF

suicide

Postby MrFF » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 pm

I too have had the misfortune of having a family member commit suicide and unfortunetly the family is often left with many questions as to why. One good thing did come out of my situation is that this was the time I realized that I did not like the way my life and my job was so I decided to become a firefighter. One person should never feel that suicide is the only answer to problems. My thoughts are with you and your family as you try to 'start over' from this situation.
Last edited by MrFF on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FitSsikS

Postby FitSsikS » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:31 pm

BigDawg, now that I have read your post a few more times it seems to me that you made this post after an evening of drinking.
Whether you somehow blame yourself for this incident or are struggling with the void she left in your family, drinking isn't the answer.
Continue to seek help, whatever your community/dept has to offer.
De-briefing was just the start.
Last edited by FitSsikS on Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On paid duty 24/7........................a month.

RugbyCanada

Postby RugbyCanada » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:54 pm

Words cannot describe how sorry I am for your loss.

I cannot tell you how to deal with loss, or with your emotions. Nobody can give you advice on how you feel, or how to deal with your emotions, unless you find someone to talk to about what happened, and how you feel.
My father is a crisis counselor with the Ontario Government, and volunteers his time helping gamblers, drug addicts, and other individuals deal with personal tradgedy. His advice is to talk to somebody as soon as possible, to help this burden leave your shoulders.
Please talk to somebody about your feelings, wheather it's the CCM team, or an outside entity.

My best regards, and be well,

RC
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If its in English, thank a vet.

DCCHam

Postby DCCHam » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 pm

My deepest condolances to you and your family 'BigDawg'.

BigDawg99

Postby BigDawg99 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks Everyone..I am not blaming myself for her Loss...She lived with her other sister and her husband was sexually abusing my sister...but thats a court case in the works..

just to set the record straight...i have not touched a Drink in 8 years..so i was not drunk when i posted this,,just wanted to share a story..

Nagrom

Postby Nagrom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:23 pm

"BigDawg99" wrote:Thanks Everyone..I am not blaming myself for her Loss...She lived with her other sister and her husband was sexually abusing my sister...but thats a court case in the works..

just to set the record straight...i have not touched a Drink in 8 years..so i was not drunk when i posted this,,just wanted to share a story..

That's a good thing to hear, that you haven't been drinking. God Bless, stay well. My condolences as well. I'm sure if ya need to vent sometime, no one on here would mind...
Last edited by Nagrom on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: late night