Double Whammy!

We all know anyone involved in the firefighting and rescue community is no stranger to stress...
resqteacher

Double Whammy!

Postby resqteacher » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:37 pm

My volly station responded last weekend to a VSA medical assist call that subsequently turned out to be a homicide. We were not even clear of the scene and were requested by dispatch to attend a confirmed structure fire where we spent the next 3 hours.
I'm not sure that the busiest department in Canada would have to do this, let alone our small station. It was incredibly stressful as many of our guys knew the deceased and were made aware by the police and EMS that this scene was not "natural".
A few of our guys are pretty shaken by the events of that night and we have done a good job providing them with resources and stress management strategies to help them through it.
I'm proud of the professionalism and dedication shown by all members of my department.
Any similar high stress incidents out there?
How did your department deal with them?
"Yellow Hats Forever"

Jimmy26

Postby Jimmy26 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:57 am

I personally have not been to any high stress incidents. I'm relatively new to the area, and don't know people as well as much of our dept. I know in the past they have held a CISM for all those involved, including other agencies. Everyone handles their stresses in their own way, but for a lot of people this is the way to do it. I even suggest those who are not (or don't believe to be) affected by the stress of the call(s) also attend. It shows support to those having trouble and also may allow some of the guys who are just bottling up the stress to let it out.

Hope this helps and send you all my best.
Lead, follow or get out of my way.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Cael

Postby Cael » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 am

I'm relatively new to the place, and don't know individuals as well as much of our department. I know in previous times they have organised a CISM for all those engaged, such as other organizations.