Smoking!

We all know anyone involved in the firefighting and rescue community is no stranger to stress...
btrl8thannvr

Postby btrl8thannvr » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:28 pm

8 years and counting for me. I found after the first 3 months the cravings got really short and started coming a lot less frequently.

I bet my best buddy of 20 years on our hair to quit. Which is pretty funny considering how little hair we both had by that point anyway. However, what really kept me going was that I knew if I started, he'd find a way to rationalize it and start again also and I didn't want to be responsible for that. For anyone out there wanting to quit, find a buddy, it helped immensely.

-Jon

DandE

starting now

Postby DandE » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:56 am

Well as of an hour ago I had my last drag. Its not the 6th yet but whats 3 days LOL. Good thing everyone is in bed, don't think cold turkey will be for me, only an hr and I'm already itchin for one LOL :( . Wish me luck.

ABFF37

Postby ABFF37 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:04 am

DandE wrote:Well as of an hour ago I had my last drag. Its not the 6th yet but whats 3 days LOL. Good thing everyone is in bed, don't think cold turkey will be for me, only an hr and I'm already itchin for one LOL :( . Wish me luck.

Good luck with it DandE...stick with it!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

AB :)

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 pm

DandE wrote:Well as of an hour ago I had my last drag. Its not the 6th yet but whats 3 days LOL. Good thing everyone is in bed, don't think cold turkey will be for me, only an hr and I'm already itchin for one LOL :( . Wish me luck.

Every hour is a challenge and every day is another you've succeded, Congratulations... Doesn't it feel great to be a quitter,

And remember you are better than a silly habit ;)

wulf

Postby wulf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:16 pm

Quit 27 Mar 06. Used to get 25 mins out of a 30 min BA bottle. 3 weeks later we had a structure fire & I was getting 30 minutes per. About a month ago in some rigorous training I was getting 35 minutes consistently.
So hang in there - nicfits lasted couple weeks heavy, but that increase in lung capacity - that was a real good motivator. Still get the odd nicfit. Best decision I made in years.
Good luck!
Ron

9lives

Postby 9lives » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:25 pm

17 days/4 hours/23 mins., since I gave up my beloved colt cigars, after 20 yrs of smoking a pack a day. I smoked my last cigar unknowingly on my way to work a 24hr. shift. After finishing the shift with-out smoking, I decided to quietly try and give em up for good. I spent the next 48 hrs. staying busy at activities that made smoking immpossible. (i.e., working out, showering, and sleeping.) After managing a week smoke-free, I began to inform my family and friends of my intent to quit, a decision that has helped me immensley. Having your wife and kids tell you how proud they are of you, is a great motivation to not relapse. I'm so glad I found this thread, and to know I'm not alone. For those considering quitting, try what I did , quit cold turkey with-out all the hoopla,gimmicks, and ceremonial,"last smoke". I thought I'd need to hear from the Oncologist saying that I had lung cancer, before I'd quit, but to be honest, it isn't as tough as I figured it'd be. My dept. of 250 members may have 4-5 smokers,so feeling like an outcast also helped with my decision.

DandE

update

Postby DandE » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:02 pm

just an update, its been five days now without one smoke, of course I wimped out and went with the patch. Sniffer and tastebuds are getting better. But must still have a way to go, cause Timmies still taste good even without a cig in the other hand LOL :rofl: . Set a goal that if I can still be free by May I'm going to buy myself a Motorcycle.

MFDFF33

Postby MFDFF33 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:12 pm

DandE wrote:just an update, its been five days now without one smoke, of course I wimped out and went with the patch. Sniffer and tastebuds are getting better. But must still have a way to go, cause Timmies still taste good even without a cig in the other hand LOL :rofl: . Set a goal that if I can still be free by May I'm going to buy myself a Motorcycle.

Good Job DandE and good luck with keeping your goal
Ryan

btrl8thannvr

Postby btrl8thannvr » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Yep gj and stick with it!

-Jon

alilcntrygal

Postby alilcntrygal » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:52 pm

ok...it is time...tomorrow is my b-day and have decided it is a great time to start changing my life....starting with quitting smoking...this time I'm gonna do it and stick too it...wish me luck...tomorrow will be day 1

Cindy