Summary of Pros and Cons of a unionized department

Union and union related discussion.
GreddyHovs

Summary of Pros and Cons of a unionized department

Postby GreddyHovs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm trying to grasp an understanding of exactly what are the benefits of being employed by a unionized fire service. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Profire

Postby Profire » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm

If your not in the job you don't have to worry about it
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]

GreddyHovs

Postby GreddyHovs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 pm

[quote=""Profire""]If your not in the job you don't have to worry about it[/quote]

The reason I ask is because the service I've been working towards gaining employment with, and recently applied to, is now, from my understanding, not involved with the union. At this point it really does not faze me, but a very close friend of mine who is employed with Rocky View County Fire Services made it sound quite negative.

You might have heard or read that the town of Chestermere in Alberta has recently went dependent from Rocky View County Fire Services, which is the county that Chestermere is located in.

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 am

[quote=""nocomment""]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184NTV2CE_c[/quote]

It would have been funnier with Jason Ellis!
How the hell did I end up here?????

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am

[quote=""nocomment""]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184NTV2CE_c[/quote]

About sums it up,but also don't forget the grievance process,succession rights,protection from backdoor deals from higher up to the chief.Fair representation on many many different items and issues,hours of work and OT,each local if needed can ask the IAFF for help and if a local fights something that will benefit all departments they will/may reimburse all of your legal costs.Best of all a bit of fellowship after meetings.

I have belonged to CAW,CUPE,OPSEU and the Teamsters the IAFF is absolutely the best Union I have been a member of they are truly a member focused organization!

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

GreddyHovs

Postby GreddyHovs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Great to know, thanks very much.

t_lag

Postby t_lag » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Here's a good video about the history of the IAFF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVqYGm6sqQ
FTM - PTB - EGH - RFB - KTF - DTRT

Profire

Postby Profire » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

[quote=""GreddyHovs""]The reason I ask is because the service I've been working towards gaining employment with, and recently applied to, is now, from my understanding, not involved with the union. At this point it really does not faze me, but a very close friend of mine who is employed with Rocky View County Fire Services made it sound quite negative.

You might have heard or read that the town of Chestermere in Alberta has recently went dependent from Rocky View County Fire Services, which is the county that Chestermere is located in.[/quote]

So you are applying for a job there and this is basically a new department. The chances of it remaining non union for very long are slim, There are very few municipal career firefighters outside of Quebec who do not understand the benefits of being part of the IAFF. Check out DH's latest post in the Green Lights thread if your really curious.
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]

someday

Postby someday » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 pm

[quote=""t_lag""]Here's a good video about the history of the IAFF.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVqYGm6sqQ[/quote]

wow ...that was interesting...............how many here still drove the horses.............