two hatters

Union and union related discussion.
irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 am

Pumpone wrote:I would like to know why a tradesman is doing side jobs.
For one thing, guess you aren't a tradesman, I worked long and hard during my apprenticeship, I am not going to just forget about it, I wanted to keep my hand in it. So yes I did change panels for guys at work and so on. I also did some moonlighting in my earlier years,this allowed my wife to be at home with the kids when they were younger,to each his own I guess.
I did a lot of electrical work involving swimming pools, kitchens etc and as someone earlier said, these jobs although small were on a tight schedule, the pool builders and kitchen installers tried the local contractors and were usually told, I'll see you in a few
days when I get a break from a bigger job.

I have retired both from firefighting and electrical work but I keep my license up as I am usually helping my kids out now with their rec rooms etc.

I also did a lot of work for the department while on duty, special lighting for the trucks, splitter boxes, gen sets as well as building maintenance. Guess I was like you, I enjoyed doing these activities rather than watching TV. Guess I saved the taxpayers a few bucks(hey, that's me)

Being so worried about your union allies I would assume you drive a North American car and haven't stepped foot in a Walmart or soon to be Target.

I guess you are just a lucky guy that you can do everything you want in life and not have to supplement your income. There are others on here with different circumstances, divorce, child support, unforseen debt etc. It isn't really fair that you criticize others for doing what they
have to do.

BTW you need to learn to do quotes in your spare time, hard to figure out your star** system

Type in a square bracket instead of the round one (quote=Pumpone) paste in text to be quoted then put (/quote) again with square brackets[ ]
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 pm

pumpone

It is a two way street I am helping a guy with his business and making a couple bucks out of it,when its busy he takes primarily FT drivers on.When its slow its call in or casual,nobody available I do it.

your welcome

I can't agree of the absorption,I know areas like Brampton and Caledon so I will use them as the example it took forever for the pop to grow to the point that Snelgrove (look it upLOL) got FT firefighters.Ther used to be plenty of BFD guys on Caledon in places like Snelgrove,Inglewood Bolton etc.Bolton was basically staffed by career ffs from most of the TO area depts as was Palgrave.A guy I went to college with lived in Bolton he wanted to volunteer but found out it was a closed shop unless you were a career FF.That is wrong too.So all of those two hatters helped keep it POC for a very long time and now it is composite how many two hatters are there?Dont know but Orangville proved there reliance on two hatters and then lost in court trying to have the charges quashed.Dunno if that makes sense or not but bordering depts are a real bone of contention.Waterloo region is a hotbed for it some of the depts have career guys working as chief officers! That is also Ted Arnotts riding.Coincidence?

It doesn't really have to be a big job every time I know guys that will get one of the guys over to do minor work that needs done even waiting until Jimmy can do it.I was in a position when I needed a small bit of electrical done...I won't touch much more that changing a socket or putting a light in electrical scares me and could put my family in danger...I called a local electrician to do it no big deal cost me a bit more than jimmy did but I needed it done.I do use the guys at work if they offer or if I need an expert opinion on something but that is case of beer job and not paid.

I understand where you are coming from.My dad wasn't a business owner but ran a large steel company that had 100s of guys/gals relying on him to make sure there was work.I on the other hand know what its like to work prior to FF I apprenticed in a heavy dirty trade and know what you mean about calluses and cuts and working til the break or lunch buzzer sounded.At the hall I will do work when its slow as long there is always something to be done I agree.Eventiually there will be downtime and sometimes I am happy to sit and watch the game or read a book that is not related to FFing.Training comes first and everything after that is gravy,even though we are not gravyLOL.

To agree to disagree is what keeps the world interesting and I cant think of another occupation that likes to debate?argue as much as FFs but it all ends in a beer after work somewhere!

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 pm

[quote=""Pumpone""]How about we leave this dead horse for the vultures. It's one subject in which I dont think anyone in the fire service can discuss without throwing tonka toys at each others head.[/quote]

Exactly,it wasn't intended to go this route but...

Dentedhead

Pumpone

Postby Pumpone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:49 pm

For one thing, guess you aren't a tradesman, I worked long and hard during my apprenticeship, I am not going to just forget about it, I wanted to keep my hand in it.

* No I am a not papered tradesman, I learnt my skills on the job. I guess you have never started or owned your own business and had to deal with people undercutting you that had no right to do it. It would be a crying shame just to let all that work go to waste. after all I am sure habitat for humanity loved you when you went to help them out every year.

So yes I did change panels for guys at work and so on. I also did some moonlighting in my earlier years[/FONT],this allowed my wife to be at home with the kids when they were younger,to each his own I guess.
I did a lot of electrical work involving swimming pools, kitchens etc and as someone earlier said, these jobs although small were on a tight schedule, the pool builders and kitchen installers tried the local contractors and were usually told, I'll see you in a few
days when I get a break from a bigger job.

** If you felt that was the right thing to do well then. that your right.

I have retired both from firefighting and electrical work but I keep my license up as I am usually helping my kids out now with their rec rooms etc.

**No problem with that, nothiing wrong with teaching the kids a thing or two.

I also did a lot of work for the department while on duty, special lighting for the trucks, splitter boxes, gen sets as well as building maintenance. Guess I was like you, I enjoyed doing these activities rather than watching TV. Guess I saved the taxpayers a few bucks(hey, that's me)

** I think that is part of the FF culture that dates way back, if someone on staff can do it they do it. after all it for all intents and purposes it our house and if you dont have to call someone in to something then you dont.

Being so worried about your union allies I would assume you drive a North American car and haven't stepped foot in a Walmart or soon to be Target.

**Yes two there are two vehicles in my drive way displaying the RamHorns, much like your self. Walmart only go in there when I am on duty. Do I try to buy union sometimes, sometimes I dont yes sometimes it is hard to do anymore.No union in mexico or china. Check under your hood see how many parts are from overseas. its just hard to do sometimes.

I guess you are just a lucky guy that you can do everything you want in life and not have to supplement your income. There are others on here with different circumstances, divorce, child support, unforseen debt etc. It isn't really fair that you criticize others for doing what they
have to do.

** We all have different lives and different circumstances, I am merely playing the devils advocate. We spend a lot of time on the two hatter stuff yet in my area the moonlighters are the problem not the two hatters.

** Yes my wife works and I work and our kids are looked after not spoilt. We live comfortable and have some extras. But I put that down to this mystical magical power that I have, its called living within your means. It a power that seems to be going he way of the dodo,hey good for the banks though.

BTW you need to learn to do quotes in your spare time, hard to figure out your star** system

Type in a square bracket instead of the round one (quote=Pumpone) paste in text to be quoted then put (/quote) again with square brackets[ ]
[/QUOTE]

** thanks I like my star system, I will continue to use it.
Last edited by Pumpone on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifes not fair, an occasional rant is good for you but dont think it is everyone's elses fault all the time.

brad305

Postby brad305 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Now I'm someone who is a volunteer in a dept with a full time chief and dc. there will never be full time firefighters in my dept. i am also trying very hard to get on full time. so just for an example is it not ok for me to get on fulltime with say TFS and stay as a volly in my hall where i may run 1- 5 calls a week. or get on with TFS and start the country boy landscaping business that i work 5-7 days a week for 12 hours a day. i think if you full time PRO UNION guys are looking to hang guys out to dry you shouldn't just be going after the guys who are TRYING TO HELP A COMMUNITY but the guys who are full time plumbers electricans etc.

iamvff

Postby iamvff » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:06 pm

[quote=""Pumpone""]**Yes two there are two vehicles in my drive way displaying the RamHorns,[/quote]

If you had a second job you could have a been able to buy a GM! (sorry, just kidding....couldn't resist!)

carry on.....

iamvff
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink...BUT...if you hold it's head under long enough, it has to take a gulp sooner or later!" iamvff - 2010

Pumpone

Postby Pumpone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm

[quote=""iamvff""]If you had a second job you could have a been able to buy a GM! (sorry, just kidding....couldn't resist!)

carry on.....

iamvff[/quote]

Well if I had bought a GM it would be good for the economy, I mean all the time it would spend in the dealers mechanic bay.
Lifes not fair, an occasional rant is good for you but dont think it is everyone's elses fault all the time.

Profire

Postby Profire » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Pumpone, as someone who generally agrees with your position , and who's secondary career (or primary if you look at the numbers of hours I put in) is union leader. I have to say your position is too severe, too black and white. Nothing is that simple or that easy.
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]

Pumpone

Postby Pumpone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

[quote=""Profire""]Pumpone, as someone who generally agrees with your position , and who's secondary career (or primary if you look at the numbers of hours I put in) is union leader. I have to say your position is too severe, too black and white. Nothing is that simple or that easy.[/quote]

Yes you could be correct on that one. I guess I am just bothered that it is an issue that in some cases should be looked at and something done about it. Yes easier said than done I Know. Does it not bother you that all the hours you put in as union leader to help bring us up and maintain a livable wage that some guys come in tired from working a secondary job?

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 pm

[quote=""brad305""]Now I'm someone who is a volunteer in a dept with a full time chief and dc. there will never be full time firefighters in my dept. i am also trying very hard to get on full time. so just for an example is it not ok for me to get on fulltime with say TFS and stay as a volly in my hall where i may run 1- 5 calls a week. or get on with TFS and start the country boy landscaping business that i work 5-7 days a week for 12 hours a day. i think if you full time PRO UNION guys are looking to hang guys out to dry you shouldn't just be going after the guys who are TRYING TO HELP A COMMUNITY but the guys who are full time plumbers electricans etc.[/quote]

Step one,worry about getting on the job.Step two try to keep the job when you are on.Two hatting could lead to losing your job.Most guys do quit volunteering when charged you are given the opportunity.Bear in mind a charge can come from anyone who is a member in good standing.Might not be someone from your dept.Some depts treat it like the US militaries stance on the gays don't ask don't tell.

The firefighters I know that moonlight generally do it a couple times a month and by word of mouth only.A couple actually do run an above board company they pay taxes on their earnings and charge taxes when doing a job etc.

it.