bill c377

Union and union related discussion.
westcoast80

bill c377

Postby westcoast80 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm

BILL C377 will affect all of us who are iaff members. It is infringing on our privacy, and I for one do not want my name and address posted on government web site.

westcoast80

Postby westcoast80 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:47 pm

An Act to Amend the Income Tax Act (requirements for labour organizations), proposes amendments to the Income Tax Act that will require unions, their pension funds and training trusts to file statements on all transactions and disbursements over $5,000, as well as the salary of all employees and executives. The statements must include the name and address of the payer and payee, along with a description of the reason for the payment. The statements must be filed in a searchable format and will be posted on a government website.

Adam_Eckhart

Postby Adam_Eckhart » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:06 am

I listened to an interview by the MP who moved this as a private members bill and he made a couple of strong points.
1. All other agencies affiliated with government give full disclosure; charity, contract, tender etc.
2. This bill is focusing on the expenses only - reporting not controlling
3. Since we receive benefit from claiming taxes on our union dues that the government has a right identify where that money goes.

Anyone?
Adam Eckhart
Welland Fire
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm

[quote=""Adam_Eckhart""]I listened to an interview by the MP who moved this as a private members bill and he made a couple of strong points.
1. All other agencies affiliated with government give full disclosure; charity, contract, tender etc.
2. This bill is focusing on the expenses only - reporting not controlling
3. Since we receive benefit from claiming taxes on our union dues that the government has a right identify where that money goes.

Anyone?[/quote]

Sorry Adam, have to disagree. The government has just passed a bill that targets Unions, or Organized labour. The actual reporting steps that must be followed will be years before Revenue Canada is able to track all of it and actually start accounting. Revenue Canada is already behind in their accounting to a point where the Federal Government agreed to write off 1 billion dollars in unpaid taxes. I suspect the gov't wants another form of revenue, and unions books might be the answer, by cancelling tax credits etc.

It will be costly to the membership of each organized labour group to pay for the new accounting practices that unions will now have to meet.
and you have to ask -
why only target organized labour. The governments bill doesn't take any action against other organizations that benefit from similar tax deductions, (tax deductions is the reason the government has said why they should have the right to see our books) eg. The Chamber of Commerce, The Law Society or The Bar Association.

The only goal this Bill achieves is the ability to look at our books. Quite frankly had they wanted to and asked, they may have been given a peak. But now they are forcing themselves into what has always been in the past, our business. Yours, mine and other members. Yours, mine and others members money too, Not the governments.

This is the first attack of only more. The Provincial Conservatives have an even bigger more damaging bill they want passed and if elected will work even harder to have made into law. I'm sure you're familiar with that one.
I for one am getting tired of being Legislated to all aspects of our society. Whatever happened to negotiation and working things out.
Stay safe Brother