Union buy in fee

Union and union related discussion.
Billy4

Union buy in fee

Postby Billy4 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi guys. I was just wondering if it's still common practice to have a "buy in" of say 500 dollars for initially being hired in addition to your bi weekly union dues.

Thanks

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 am

That number seems quite high.

Depending on the dept i guess but i think the number around the GTA is between $50 and $100.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

Billy4

Postby Billy4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am

Thank you. It seems like i'll be required to pay the 500 dollars and a union due of about 6% of my income. Wanted to know if this was at least ball park for some people. Thanks for your time.

coal_man

Postby coal_man » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:28 am

My local's initiation fee is in the area of $2500. $500 doesn't seems so bad.

Raker

Postby Raker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Never been a fan of initiation fees. It just seems to me that so many prospective firefighters already go through so much hardship just to get a shot at being hired, and adding initiation fees to a new hire making probationary wages, seems excessive. A quick money grab doesn't necessarily translate into a good start that develops loyalty either, IMO.
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

3rdGen

Postby 3rdGen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:16 am

[quote=""Raker""]Never been a fan of initiation fees. It just seems to me that so many prospective firefighters already go through so much hardship just to get a shot at being hired, and adding initiation fees to a new hire making probationary wages, seems excessive. A quick money grab doesn't necessarily translate into a good start that develops loyalty either, IMO.[/quote]

Fair opinion, but that union you are 'buying' into has a long history of financial burdens to get to where it is. It comes with assets, and an expensive collective agreement. IMO it creates a sense of ownership, like a share holder. A lot of very hard work, and no doubt some legal battles have shaped the working enviroment a new fire fighter enters. It only seems fair to 'buy in' but I totally understand it is difficult with a probationary wage; but like anything, a little planning and it shouldn't be a hardship.

I've heard of initiation fees ranging from $150-1500. with most being around $500
"You can't be wrong for doing the right thing"

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 pm

[quote=""Billy4""]Hi guys. I was just wondering if it's still common practice to have a "buy in" of say 500 dollars for initially being hired in addition to your bi weekly union dues.

Thanks[/quote]

In our association you're paying for the time you were in training and were being represented even though many don;t realize it.
The wages, benefits, working conditions, ppe and many other things we all enjoy or keep us safe were the result of a lot of work by your association.

If you were injured or landed in trouble I am confident you would be represented. It's some the best money you can invest.
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"

FF95

Postby FF95 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 pm

[quote=""Billy4""]Hi guys. I was just wondering if it's still common practice to have a "buy in" of say 500 dollars for initially being hired in addition to your bi weekly union dues.

Thanks[/quote]

We only pay the monthly dues when hired, there was no initial fee that was required.