Class K fire extinguishers

Discuss & collaborate on issues of public safety and fire prevention.
CKL958

Postby CKL958 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:03 pm

"Hotelsecurity" wrote:I think that this is why these extingusihers have a long wand at the end of the hose.

Even so, after seeing the promo video, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the fire putting it out without a certain level of PPE. Wand or not, there is a good deal of pressure stored in that extinguisher (believe the K's run at 100psi...) that is going to come out with a good deal of force. Won't argue that it's going to distance you to a certain degree, but for the average staff in an establishment, I'm not thinking it's far enough.
CKL958

"We're all in this together"
- Steve "Red Green" Smith

gcam

Postby gcam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 pm

NFPA has required the K Class to be used after the Fire System because the fire System has a fuel shut off for the cooking equipment built into it. So, if the system is discharged the fuel is cut at the same time. Most problems in a deep fryer are caused by the failure of the high heat limiter so the fryer stays on full burn because it never recieves the signal that the temperature has been reached. If someone decides to put 6L of liquid into the vat and it spills over into the flames....trouble and you now have a fire that the hood system is not designed to suppress and you've used your extinguisher. Better to dump the suppression system and extinguish residual flames with the K class.
And the long handled wands are no longer permitted on the K Class because people were sticking them right into the oil in a fryer and then releasing it. You can imagine the reaction that would have. If you see a long handled hose on a K Class in a kitchen it is not permitted.

harrywilson9

re:Class K fire extinguishers

Postby harrywilson9 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:10 am

The application of a gas suppression system requires that the room space (including the total envelope floor void / ceiling void) are adequately sealed to contain the weight of gas within the space for the required period of time against an allowable leakage rate.so please log on to bellow site...

geminifire.co.uk/room-integrity-testing.php

Postby 0007 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:58 pm

[quote=""Hotelsecurity""]The NFPA regulations on Class K fire extinguishers drive me crazy. The over the hood central system is to be discharged BEFORE the class K extinguisher is used. To me it sounds like the sprinklers are to be turned on before the pressurized water extingusiher is used. Is the purpose of hand held extinguishers not to fight a small fire before it gets large enough to set off the hood & sprinkler systems? And once the central hood system has gone off, what's the use of the extinguisher?[/quote]

The reason why you pull the special suppression system under the kitchen hood first, it should put out the fire, if the fire is still burning then use the K class extinguisher to put it out. The reason why you dont use the k class 1st, it is a back up only. It ownly has a limited amount of fluid and should ownly be used as back up. If you use it first and you run out of chemical and the fire is still burning, now the fire has gotten larger before you pull the hood system. Thanks