Toronto Fire Investigators

Discuss & collaborate on issues of public safety and fire prevention.
IC306

Postby IC306 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:03 pm

Does anyone know if the internal positions will all come from Prevention? If one was to get hired as an inspector he or she could theoretically transfer to an investigator position without having a background in investigations? Would suppression staff on 24 hour shifts want to go to a straight days and on call scheduled? Any one know what the status of this recruitment is?

jim7966

Postby jim7966 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:26 am

The job call ended yesterday. So I'm assuming interviews for those that have applied and made the cut will be sometime in the future. I won't hesitate to give you a timeline because last time it was months before they held interviews.

Maybe this time it will be quicker???

IC306

Postby IC306 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Any news on whether these positions are filled?

jim7966

Postby jim7966 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:06 am

I was talking to a guy yesterday and he believes they cancelled this job call as well. I have no idea if that's true or not but given what I know of the last competition which was cancelled, it wouldn't surprise me.

Toronto_FPEC

Postby Toronto_FPEC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Several internal candidates have interviewed. I believe they are still working out the hours of work, but as far as I know they are still going ahead with the investigator positions.

jim7966

Postby jim7966 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:42 am

Spent the better part of last week at the Toronto Fire Academy. The word from there is that the positions are on hold for now. Unfortunately they did NOT get the external candidates (ofm) that they were hoping would apply.

As well the position for Deputy Chief of Fire Prevention has yet to be filled and the thinking is that they will wait until it's filled before they repost the positions. Thereby allowing the new Deputy the opportunity to get the unit up and running.

According to the Chief who I personally spoke to, he hopes to have a "staff" of ten people in the fire investigations unit within a year.

Bad news for all those that applied. But my personal feeling is that the requirement for "Internal" candidates is always going to be an issue.

It sounds like they want the external hires to mentor (train) the internals but don't seem willing to pay for that.

Plus nobody (in my opinion) is going to leave the ofm to give up a company vehicle to drive in to the City four days a week for less money.