Radio voice procedures

VFFRCK

Radio voice procedures

Postby VFFRCK » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 pm

My apologies if this has been discussed before but nothing turned up in my search.

Back in my militia days, we used specific radio procedures but it's been so long I'm having difficulty remembering them all, specifically:

Initial transmissions start with: "Alpha 2-2" THIS IS "Bravo 2-1", over

and subsequent transmissions between the same persons started with either your own call-sign or the other person's call sign.

My question is this: Is this same type of procedure common amongst fire departments and if so, which call sign are you supposed to start the subsequent transmissions with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dubya

Postby Dubya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:50 am

This is covered in the IFSTA training manuals - but the general procedure is:
  • You address the callsign you are calling, followed by yours - "IC, 515, over".
  • They respond in kind - "515, Command, go ahead."
  • After that, callsigns are optional unless there's a lot of traffic.
  • Finish the conversation with one party ending their transmission with "Out" or in some areas "Clear" - "Will do Command, 515 out."
All the usual stuff applies - over or out, but not both, don't shout and don't mumble, and keep it short and to the point. :)

We tend to use the NATO/ICAO phonetic alphabet with which you're probably already familiar, having been in the militia. At least, anyone whose radio training I took part in tends to use it. :D
"I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
- R. MacLeod

soccerplayer_017

some departments in ontario

Postby soccerplayer_017 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

some departments in ontario use this form

pumper 1 call control.... Pumper 1 go ahead control

Control to pumper 1

and they are hardly saying over, or out or clear on the air waves in southern ontario, depending on the department.. its usually ROGER, WILCO, COPY, STANDBY

Hacienda216

Postby Hacienda216 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm

"soccerplayer_017" wrote:
...Control to pumper 1

and they are hardly saying over, or out or clear on the air waves in southern ontario, depending on the department.. its usually ROGER, WILCO, COPY, STANDBY

What?

Just do what Dubya said.

And as I sit here listening to a call, try not to scream to Control "Pump 2 responding with 5!" when you ment to say "Pump 5 responding with 2". There's only 2 seats in their truck...how did they fit FIVE in there??

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 pm

"Hacienda216" wrote:And as I sit here listening to a call, try not to scream to Control "Pump 2 responding with 5!" when you ment to say "Pump 5 responding with 2".

Don't you mean "Pump 5 responding with 2 BELTED".
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

Stu5

Postby Stu5 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:59 pm

According to the APCO Telecommunicator's book there are TWO call up methods

Method 1: Your callsign, followed intended parties' callsign (Pumper 134 to Dispatch)

or

Method 2: The intended parties' callsign followed by your callsign (Dispatch, Pumper 134 or Dispatch from Pumper 134)

Your best bet is to follow your Department's SOP/SOG's for radio transmissions as each department/Emergency Service will be different.

Try the APCO website, they may have additional information on there

Hope this helps!

stuck

Postby stuck » Fri May 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Some places I know of use "Them, You, Them, over"

Bravo 2 this is dispatch calling bravo 2 over.
--
www. BCFireTrucks.ca
Photos of Fire Trucks and Stations around BC.

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 am

[quote=""jonathantrott""]What are the SOPs for communicating when you are a confined space training certified worker from canadasafetycampus.com, I learned how to work in a confined space but didnt learned the procedures of communication.[/quote]

Seriously, you can quit shilling for them anytime.....

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

[quote=""PNEFD""]Seriously, you can quit shilling for them anytime.....[/quote]
But their certificates that you print from your own printer are "state accredited"!

Hacienda216

Postby Hacienda216 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:49 am

[quote=""PNEFD""]Seriously, you can quit shilling for them anytime.....[/quote]

Dr. Frankenstein is digging up all kinds of useless threads.