Just then my pager goes off...

FireChef

Postby FireChef » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:29 am

We had a chimney fire one year. I had just gotten home from a scout camp, and I was upstairs unpacking and the pager went off for a chimney, so I run downstairs, thinking I am going to make one of the trucks....NOPE....Had to be Grey Cup Sunday and the boys just had to have a party at the hall. Both trucks manned with 3 each. I grabbed my gear, hoppped in my truck and followed the trucks to the call. When they have a doo at the hall, they will turn the siren off, but they had forgotten to, so all the pagers went off as did the siren. One of our quickest responses!
can't dance and too fat to fly

irsmith

Almost missed the Remembrance Day Parade

Postby irsmith » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:47 pm

A few years ago we had just sat down at the Service prior to the Remembrance Day Parade when we got a call for a kitchen fire in a house on the mountain. We dashed to the hall, drove up and over the winding mountain road, arrived on scene but were soon cleared by Command. We made it back to the hall, jogged to Main Street and joined the parade just as it was arriving at the Cenitaph. Our timing was perfect as our place in the parade arrived at the corner just as we did.

MFD_31

Postby MFD_31 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 pm

I have had a lot of interesting ones - supper, bathroom, special occasions, other "special" occasions, parades, etc.

Funniest one was a middle of the night call. I came clear of the bed, fumble through the laundry basket half asleep looking for pants and a shirt, grab jeans and pull them on as I am heading out the door......problem - they're my wife's jeans (she is 5'2" 120lb and I am 6'3" 200lb). I go down like a wounded elephant. Wife had to help peel them off of me as I pulled them on so hard. Still made the truck. :)
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sounds easy if you say it fast"

pattaboy

Postby pattaboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 am

The funniest one was not me but a guy in our Department. He was silly enough to have his car run over himself and was trapped underneath it. Naturally we were dispatched because he was trapped under the car. Earlier that night at training I had just went on a rant about broken pagers and how everyone needs to take better care of their equipment.
The poor guy heard me responding laying under the car and all he could think about was "I hope the pager isn't broken"
It needed a new clip but I went easy on him.

pompier5

Postby pompier5 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:19 am

I had just been promoted to LT a few months before, and was finally getting my first tatoo to commemorate my 20 years of service in my fire dept. when we got a call for a barn fire... My pager was in my jacket and I never heard it with the buzzing from the tatoo needle... well, now I can tell a cool storey to go with the tatoo!!! hehe... I've had the intimate moment call too, for an explosion in a propane distribution plant... the "at the time" girlfriend decided that my leaving her was a good enough reason for her to do the same!!! lol