Hamilton 2017 (NEW)

RSQ79

Postby RSQ79 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:42 am

Where did you hear this?

jsymonds

Postby jsymonds » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:30 am

Directly from a good friend who interviewed, and got called saying he was on list for first class, but guaranteed August class.

RSQ79

Postby RSQ79 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am

Not the news I was hoping for, but thanks for the update

RickHESFire

Postby RickHESFire » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Until they have posted on the cities web site a new job posting, the old list is still in force.

Here are somethings I have posted in the past:

“Hamilton always tries to get two years of hiring out of a list. It is very expensive to conduct a hiring in cost and man power to make a list up of potential prospects. Some years the list is very long and some years it ends up short. The list can be diluted by people who are on multiple hiring list for other departments and then take jobs with those departments. They can go through a lot of names just to come up with 12 candidates. In some hiring’s, a lot of people get dropped for a lot of reasons. When they think there is not enough names to get the number of candidates they are hoping for, they start a new list.”

“The offers are conditional! In the past almost half have not survived this part and did not make it to day 1!”

In reply to:

Half? Wow. Would you care to expand on why? Medical? References? York? I just figured that all that would be in good order if you were good/serious enough to get to a CJO.

“All of the above. A bad day. A record they thought no one would notice. Thought they were in better shape or thought their physical condition would not bother them or be noticed. Claustrophobic or scared of heights. Medical condition they did not know of or thought no one would find or they could fake their why through. People who thought just because they got a job offer the department really wanted them and the last part was just a formality and thought they could just breeze through it (holier than thou attitude).
They just don't take this part seriously!”

“People in the past have:

• Failed the Vulnerable Sector Search
• Failed the York Physical Evaluation
• Failed the Medical
• Failed the Reference Checks
• Failed the Driver’s Abstract Check
• Turned down our offer

Also people have been let go during training as you are expected to perform to our high standards where a pass is 90%. They have been let go anywhere from the first week to the last week before final exams. The most we have let go in a group is 3. We have had people leave for another departments during training.

They will make a last minute offer if the spot is opened within the first 2 weeks. You will have to catch up quickly. Sometime they have made a reserve list of 4 that is assigned to communication for a year. They have taken from this list in the past to put in training and replaced them with the next person on the list.
I believe one year they needed almost 2 persons per spot in order to have enough people to fill the training spots.”

I always enjoy the comments in this forum. The instructors usually have most of the class pegged to their comments by the beginning of the class and no later than the end of the first week.

“CONDITIONAL OFFER”.

CONDITIONAL OFFERS
Conditional offers will be made outlining next steps:

PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING (YORK)
Physical fitness testing will be held on:

MEDICALS
Medicals will be scheduled:

VULNERABLE SECTOR SEARCH
Vulnerable sector search must be submitted by:

Some people have not gone past one off these points. People have failed the physical, the medical, reference checks, and drivers licence abstract check and police checks.

People have been let go in training anytime from week 1 to the week before the final exam.

Don’t count on the job until you’re in the station.

You are not guaranteed a position until graduation day.

RSQ79

Postby RSQ79 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Thank you for the insight RickHESfire. I try to take everything I see on this forum with a grain of salt. I still have hopes and if nothing happens I will be back :)

titan500

Postby titan500 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:33 pm

[quote=""RickHESFire""]Until they have posted on the cities web site a new job posting, the old list is still in force.

Here are somethings I have posted in the past:

“Hamilton always tries to get two years of hiring out of a list. It is very expensive to conduct a hiring in cost and man power to make a list up of potential prospects. Some years the list is very long and some years it ends up short. The list can be diluted by people who are on multiple hiring list for other departments and then take jobs with those departments. They can go through a lot of names just to come up with 12 candidates. In some hiring’s, a lot of people get dropped for a lot of reasons. When they think there is not enough names to get the number of candidates they are hoping for, they start a new list.”

“The offers are conditional! In the past almost half have not survived this part and did not make it to day 1!”

In reply to:

Half? Wow. Would you care to expand on why? Medical? References? York? I just figured that all that would be in good order if you were good/serious enough to get to a CJO.

“All of the above. A bad day. A record they thought no one would notice. Thought they were in better shape or thought their physical condition would not bother them or be noticed. Claustrophobic or scared of heights. Medical condition they did not know of or thought no one would find or they could fake their why through. People who thought just because they got a job offer the department really wanted them and the last part was just a formality and thought they could just breeze through it (holier than thou attitude).
They just don't take this part seriously!”

“People in the past have:

• Failed the Vulnerable Sector Search
• Failed the York Physical Evaluation
• Failed the Medical
• Failed the Reference Checks
• Failed the Driver’s Abstract Check
• Turned down our offer

Also people have been let go during training as you are expected to perform to our high standards where a pass is 90%. They have been let go anywhere from the first week to the last week before final exams. The most we have let go in a group is 3. We have had people leave for another departments during training.

They will make a last minute offer if the spot is opened within the first 2 weeks. You will have to catch up quickly. Sometime they have made a reserve list of 4 that is assigned to communication for a year. They have taken from this list in the past to put in training and replaced them with the next person on the list.
I believe one year they needed almost 2 persons per spot in order to have enough people to fill the training spots.”

I always enjoy the comments in this forum. The instructors usually have most of the class pegged to their comments by the beginning of the class and no later than the end of the first week.

“CONDITIONAL OFFER”.

CONDITIONAL OFFERS
Conditional offers will be made outlining next steps:

PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING (YORK)
Physical fitness testing will be held on:

MEDICALS
Medicals will be scheduled:

VULNERABLE SECTOR SEARCH
Vulnerable sector search must be submitted by:

Some people have not gone past one off these points. People have failed the physical, the medical, reference checks, and drivers licence abstract check and police checks.

People have been let go in training anytime from week 1 to the week before the final exam.

Don’t count on the job until you’re in the station.

You are not guaranteed a position until graduation day.[/quote]

This is probably the best comment I have read in this forum.

Flexx45

Re: Hamilton 2017 (NEW)

Postby Flexx45 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Invites to the 2nd round panel interview are going out.

Dutchfireman

Postby Dutchfireman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Can confirm received one as well, looks like first week of April

firecoder9

Postby firecoder9 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Any body that got a second round interview the first time here anything? I didn't get a wait list email, but also didn't get a thanks but no thanks.

Curious if i'm still in the pool the this class or only new interviews???

SVFDFF09

Postby SVFDFF09 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 am

Contacted via email or phone? Did you both have a panel interview the first go around?