OFAI - Technical Skills update

Danica13

Postby Danica13 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:13 pm

[quote=""Rescue78""]The skills tested are put in place and reviewed by people with DECADES (with an S at the end) of experience in the Fire Service The NFPA skills sheets are internationally accepted standards in the industry.

Now, here is a candidate going through phase III of candidate testing. A candidate looking at starting his/her career in the Fire Service. And that candidate is questioning with arrogance and attitude the steps of the task he or she was asked to perform???? The way the question is asked leads to believe the candidate has lots of experience in order to disagree so strongly with those people with decade of experience. But how could they? They are a CANDIDATE!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is laughable and sad all at the same time? This person might have some volunteer experience. But still, questioning things in such an arrogant way as you are just trying to get into a career gives a pretty good idea of how you will behave once you are on the job.[/quote]

Let me clear my throat...Sir, thank you for your response. I apologize if I came across as arrogant. It was simply frustration at an inconsistant testing process. I have passed stage 3. And, though it is my fault, that I did kot keep up to date on safety knot procedure, I have in the past been told by proctor's to not worry about safeties, and I have passed while tying the knot below the clove hitch. So, please forgive me if I vented some frustration at having spent another 250 dollars to come away with a loss. You may not understand that. I get it. Decades (with an s) ago it cost, maybe 300 bucks to apply to a fire department. Today that cost is closer to 10,000.

Danica13

Postby Danica13 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:06 pm

... and please don't call me arrogant. I haven't an ounce of arrogance in me. I have spent some time being humbled. I assure you. You on the other hand could check yourself. It was my impression that firefighters were humble, compassionate, empathetic people and you have come across as anything but. Really, a poor representitive of your profession.

Fahrenheit416

Postby Fahrenheit416 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 pm

[quote=""Danica13""]... and please don't call me arrogant. I haven't an ounce of arrogance in me. I have spent some time being humbled. I assure you. You on the other hand could check yourself. It was my impression that firefighters were humble, compassionate, empathetic people and you have come across as anything but. Really, a poor representitive of your profession.[/quote]

telling a senior guy to "check yourself"? looks like you'll get a wake up call then when/if you get on the trucks and the guys start calling you "whalesh*t", "boot", "cheesed*ck" etc etc

you are the lowest man on the totem pole and that's when you even actually get on.. if a senior guy points out a flaw, bite your tongue and do what you can to improve what was pointed out.

if the chief called you a lazy ass for not washing down the apparatus floor, what are you gonna do? tell him that you aren't lazy and that you were just taking a break..and then call HIM lazy because he's not washing down the floor?
Last edited by Fahrenheit416 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danica13

Postby Danica13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm

[quote=""Fahrenheit416""]telling a senior guy to "check yourself"? looks like you'll get a wake up call then when/if you get on the trucks and the guys start calling you "whalesh*t", "boot", "cheesed*ck" etc etc

you are the lowest man on the totem pole and that's when you even actually get on.. if a senior guy points out a flaw, bite your tongue and do what you can to improve what was pointed out.

if the chief called you a lazy ass for not washing down the apparatus floor, what are you gonna do? tell him that you aren't lazy and that you were just taking a break..and then call HIM lazy because he's not washing down the floor?[/quote]

This is a forum pal. It ain't the real deal. And thanks but I've been there done that in terms of wake up calls and totem polls. My skin is pretty thick. But ya I'll try to learn something from smart guy up there. ��
Last edited by Danica13 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGuy

Postby TheGuy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Hey Danica13, I can appreciate your frustration. I know several people who are trying to get hired, to be failed for little inconsistencies. As for Fahrenheit416, perhaps he doesn't quite appreciate that his "decades" crap means nothing for the way it is to get hired now. Decades ago you didn't EVEN need to pay $300... things were far easier back in the day.

Don't waste your time arguing with someone who has his head stuck so far up his ass on the ways of the past.

I appreciate that for Danica to get hired, they would be the lowest on the totem pole, however I refuse to just accept this "the probie is the hall bitch" fact. Sure, you are new, and sure, you have duties and responsibilities that go along with that, however it doesn't mean that you can get shit on at a moments notice, which is how Fahrenheit416 is really coming across as.

God knows if I was working with him, I'd just as well not. Sounds like a bit of a dick.

Danica, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me, and I'll answer with a little bit more class than you've seen from above.

Danica13

Postby Danica13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 pm

[quote=""TheGuy""]Hey Danica13, I can appreciate your frustration. I know several people who are trying to get hired, to be failed for little inconsistencies. As for Fahrenheit416, perhaps he doesn't quite appreciate that his "decades" crap means nothing for the way it is to get hired now. Decades ago you didn't EVEN need to pay $300... things were far easier back in the day.

Don't waste your time arguing with someone who has his head stuck so far up his ass on the ways of the past.

I appreciate that for Danica to get hired, they would be the lowest on the totem pole, however I refuse to just accept this "the probie is the hall bitch" fact. Sure, you are new, and sure, you have duties and responsibilities that go along with that, however it doesn't mean that you can get shit on at a moments notice, which is how Fahrenheit416 is really coming across as.

God knows if I was working with him, I'd just as well not. Sounds like a bit of a dick.

Danica, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me, and I'll answer with a little bit more class than you've seen from above.[/quote]

Thank you Sir. (With a capital S)

TheGuy

Postby TheGuy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 pm

[quote=""Danica13""]Thank you Sir. (With a capital S)[/quote]

Always here to help

Rescue78

Postby Rescue78 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 pm

If you look at my history in this forum, I have been providing a lot of help. Help can come in many forms.

Maybe there is a reason a certain poster has been looking for a job since 2008. If you think for a second that your posts are not monitored by potential employers on here, think again. Not all members on here are hopeful applicants. Some are the people that decide if they will invite you for an interview. And if they do, they will be there, sitting in front of you asking the questions.

But hey, what do I know.
Last edited by Rescue78 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most people train until they do it right.
Professionals train until they can't do it wrong.

Fahrenheit416

Postby Fahrenheit416 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:56 am

"Seriously, I've been trying for TO for ten years. Made it to a second interview..once... missed by 5 points. Bartlett actually said.. sorry you missed by 5 marks. I don't know... is somebody trying to tell me something?"

from his post in 2009, looks like he's been trying since '99.

now i can see why.

TheGuy

Postby TheGuy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 pm

who's that now?