2018 NFPA 1001 Professional Qualification Standard - Prerequsite Courses

FireHR

2018 NFPA 1001 Professional Qualification Standard - Prerequsite Courses

Postby FireHR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

Ive been engaged in several conversations and received dozens of emails regarding to the next NFPA 1001 Professional Qualification Standard that will be released very soon. I did have an opportunity to attend a NFPA Training Expo in Chicago for hiring purposes and from all the literature and information I was given the only major change is the adoption of NFPA 1072. Moving forward, Fire Services, PreService Colleges and Private Career Colleges will be training to NFPA 1072 Standard for Hazardous Materials/ Weapons of Mass Destruction Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications. This new 2017 HazMat Professional Qualification Standard has replaced NFPA 472 in many referenced Pro Quals (NFPA 1001, 1031, etc.). NFPA 472 will still be used, but it will be used as a sister document. Looking at 2018 Recruitments, be ready for a NFPA 1072 Minimum Requirement Statement in a Job Posting. It may come as a Prerequisite or Desired Education Requirement but it is coming soon. Similar to when Fire Services just asked for a EMR Certificate out for the blue....left a lot of good candidates scrambling.

On another note, two of my current contract employers (municipalities in the GTA) were hoping for the OAFC or OFMEM to develop an NFPA 1001 GAP COURSE or SKILLS MAINTENACE COURSE for good reason. Municipalities want to ensure those who apply with an IFSAC or ProBoard NFPA 1001 Certificates meet THE CURRENT minimum standard. They are looking at Skills Maintenance for applicants with 1001 Certs older than 5 years. How can the employer ensure the applicate has retained their full NFPA 1001 Training. OFAI & Written Testing and Pre Employment Skills Demonstrations does not cover the core training and or the most dangerous part of the profession ....Live Firefighting. My opinion is that this will not happen any time in 2018, but be prepared for future NFPA 1001 skills maintenance requirements.

It my recommendations that you keep your resume updated with a 2018 Training Course. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just current!

GOOD LUCK IN 2018!