Alberta Ambulance takeover on hold

WillyWildland

Postby WillyWildland » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:39 pm

"dirkjaniak" wrote:... they're going to like that, eh?!

I think if I were a medic I would be leaving the province. Too many uncertainties and anything we have heard doesn't play out well for them. One rumor I have heard is the hospitals (province) are looking forward to changing medic and EMT attitudes towards the hospitals and the waits they have to deal with. Don't blame them for being pissed waiting at hospital. If I had to wait there half my shift and all I wanted to do was the job I was trained for it would tire on me a bit too.

I also know guys on integrated services like Strath and St. Alb. and some of them are just hoping integration gets turfed.

I always knew EMS was just a stepping stone to becoming a firefighter right.....

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:25 pm

"pitottube" wrote: It would seem that the province is going after hospital based EMS with emt/paramedics doing alot of their skills in the hospitals, then responding to calls when required.

Have they even researched that?Whats the nurses union have to say about it.Who will be responsible if something goes wrong?Province or hospital?

Ontario was like that in the dark ages,guys who worked for hospital based services had to do prep shaves,catheters assist with autopsies and various other unpleasant tasks.Whatever will they come up with next funeral home based services.We had lots of those too.

By dark ages I mean less than 20 years ago.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:28 pm

"WillyWildland" wrote:I think if I were a medic I would be leaving the province. Too many uncertainties and anything we have heard doesn't play out well for them. One rumor I have heard is the hospitals (province) are looking forward to changing medic and EMT attitudes towards the hospitals and the waits they have to deal with. Don't blame them for being pissed waiting at hospital. If I had to wait there half my shift and all I wanted to do was the job I was trained for it would tire on me a bit too.

I also know guys on integrated services like Strath and St. Alb. and some of them are just hoping integration gets turfed.

I always knew EMS was just a stepping stone to becoming a firefighter right.....

For a lot of folks it is.

Ontario is now starting to make noise about trying to iuntegrate fire/ems....please for the love of god no!!

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

CanuckEMT

Postby CanuckEMT » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:26 am

"pitottube" wrote:Just a bit of an update, through the grapevine it appears even integrated services may disappear in 3 years the way the province wants things run. Most services will accept contracts for 2-3 years but after that there is to many things going against any city wanting to keep their integrated service. It would seem that the province is going after hospital based EMS with emt/paramedics doing alot of their skills in the hospitals, then responding to calls when required.

Well, the one thing I can't understand, even with integrated services aside, is how someone can sign the contract they are offering with the 180 day opt out clause that protects Alberta Health. So the given service may sign a 2 yr contract but at anytime the Government can cancel it with 180 days notice. How can any service do their capital budget with a clause like that?

With the hospital based EMS aspect, I don't think the powers that be have contemplated the fact that RN's don't want Paramedics(ACP/EMTP) working in the hospital. I have the feeling that there will be quite the uproar from the UNA if that is the direction they want to partake in. IMHO I think we will be doing more catheter changes in the assisted living facilities and assisting with flu shots before we are working in the ER. Not to mention that there are also RT's that would not like us treading in their ABG and intubation areas.

I am just thankful that my position with the Fire Dept will still be there whether we have an ambulance in the station or not.

NWOPCP

Postby NWOPCP » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:23 pm

"CanuckEMT" wrote:Well, the one thing I can't understand, even with integrated services aside, is how someone can sign the contract they are offering with the 180 day opt out clause that protects Alberta Health. So the given service may sign a 2 yr contract but at anytime the Government can cancel it with 180 days notice. How can any service do their capital budget with a clause like that?

That is standard everywhere, and serves to protect the public. It allows them to remove bad operators. Even in rare cases where the clause has to be used, it only removes the service operators licence. The service and paramedics stay, but become directly operated or given to a new operator.

I don't see any budget issues coming into it.