ALEXIS CREEK: B.C. Ambulance under fire

Scuba

ALEXIS CREEK: B.C. Ambulance under fire

Postby Scuba » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 am

ALEXIS CREEK, BC - A shortage of paramedics led to the closure of the ambulance station in Alexis Creek over the long weekend, and Cariboo South MLA Charlie Wyse said the situation remains unacceptable. "There are more activities taking place in the summertime, Nemiah rodeo for example. So there's increased activity, increased people from tourists, and a long weekend and we find that we have an ambulance station that is shut down because there are no crew members to staff it," Wyse said.

Source: The Williams Lake Tribune (click for full story)

Ambulance is needed: wltribune.com

Paraone

Postby Paraone » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:02 am

I have never could understand how they can just shut down an amublance station??? You would think that, there would be at least two paramedics or EMRs willing to work over a weekend.

BenDiesel

Postby BenDiesel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Not for $2.00/hr, costs more in gas and food than you make!!

Paraone

Postby Paraone » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:35 pm

I agree, but still when we got hired we knew that was going to be the wadges. I will be driving from Nanaimo to Gold River to work at that station, I know I will be going through a lot of gas. I just feel if I want to do this job, I have to start somewhere and if that means two dollars an hour and it takes me three hours to get there that is what I have to to do! I understand where you are coming from, it is frustrating after the money and training we get and the pay is so low, but one day it will pay off. Plus to me it is about helping people and not all about the money!

nffd141

Postby nffd141 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:03 pm

You will realize very fast once your knees deep in $2/hr, It gets old very fast, also when you realize that BCAS dosnt really care about you or the community. No raises in 8 years is a big one

geoffey

Postby geoffey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:12 pm

I've you ever been to Alexis Creek.....you'll know why nobody wants to work there

Paraone

Postby Paraone » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 am

I have never been to Alexis Creek. I am assuming it is not the best place in the world! I know in Nanaimo sometimes they have to shutt down a car, because they have nobody to staff it. So it is just not the smaller communities that are hurting.

BenDiesel

Postby BenDiesel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:46 am

There's a reason it's hurting everywhere, people are tired of taking it in the ass and the ambulance service is to cheap & incompetent to fix the problem.

FireChef

Postby FireChef » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:49 pm

I notice how some of you are voicing your opinion about not having a raise for 8 years, granted thats a long time, but you are still making a decent wage. No where on god's green earth does it say that you are supposed to have a certain percentage wage over a certain amount of time. Yes it is true that the cost of living is going up, decent mean that your wage has to go up, you just have to manage your money better.

I am with Paraone on this one, once I am done my PCP next year, I know I will have to go somewhere small for awhile, like him, I will prepared to do it. Gone are the days of going to the local station, yaking with the U/C and getting hired.

There are medics all over the states (maybe even Canada), making a hell of a lot less then here in BC, and are still happy with the job.

I would do the job for minimum wage. There are actually some people out there, that are there for the job and not the money.

I have been in the cooking field for 12 years now, and I make $14.50/hr. I dont complain, I know there are cooks out there making a lot less in other places. With 12 years senority with BCAS I would be making mid $20/hr.

For those that dont think they are making enough money, you could always leave and go work in the patch up north, and make room for others that want to do the job to help people and not bitch about the wage
can't dance and too fat to fly

BenDiesel

Postby BenDiesel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:04 pm

You have to think what the other emergency services are making. Are paramedics less important that fire or police? They're way busier than any fire department!! Parity is what we are asking for. If you want a career, you should be paid to have a career. I've never heard of anyone who has a volunteer career, that's called a hobby.