JIBC PCP Program & BCAS Questions

ALS, ACP, PCP, Etc..
IdentityCC

JIBC PCP Program & BCAS Questions

Postby IdentityCC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello,

I live in Vancouver and am currently at university for a General Arts program. I planning on switching out to JIBC for the PCP program after I get my EMR. Right now all I have is my AMFR1 from my volunteering at St. John Ambulance. I have a few questions:

1. Will BCAS be willing to hire at 19? I know they can, but will they generally want people who are older?
2. I heard that some people have been on the waitlist for the PCP program for a year or two...but how can this be when online it says they have a certain application date for a certain course period. Can someone please clarify this. I'm quite confused, haha.
3. Should I complete my Diploma (2 semesters left; 2 semesters done) and then go for the PCP, or should I just stop and go to PCP?
4. Are there any scholarships available for students applying to the EMR or PCP programs...and how are they applied for? It's after acceptance to the program, right?
5. How is the practicum portion of PCP set out? Like are the schedules figured out months in advance or will you know when you work only a few days before? Or any other scheduling thing? Because I'm thinking if it's possible to hold another job while in the practicum portion?
6. What do you think about the Diploma in Health Sciences program? Useful? Not? And would I apply for that program or for PCP and the Diploma?
7. Anything else you consider important?

Thanks so much for your help!
Last edited by IdentityCC on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam82

Postby Adam82 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:16 pm

[quote=""IdentityCC""]Hello,

I live in Vancouver and am currently at university for a General Arts program. I planning on switching out to JIBC for the PCP program after I get my EMR. Right now all I have is my AMFR1 from my volunteering at St. John Ambulance. I have a few questions:

1. Will BCAS be willing to hire at 19? I know they can, but will they generally want people who are older?
2. I heard that some people have been on the waitlist for the PCP program for a year or two...but how can this be when online it says they have a certain application date for a certain course period. Can someone please clarify this. I'm quite confused, haha.
3. Should I complete my Diploma (2 semesters left; 2 semesters done) and then go for the PCP, or should I just stop and go to PCP?
4. Are there any scholarships available for students applying to the EMR or PCP programs...and how are they applied for? It's after acceptance to the program, right?
5. How is the practicum portion of PCP set out? Like are the schedules figured out months in advance or will you know when you work only a few days before? Or any other scheduling thing? Because I'm thinking if it's possible to hold another job while in the practicum portion?
6. What do you think about the Diploma in Health Sciences program? Useful? Not? And would I apply for that program or for PCP and the Diploma?
7. Anything else you consider important?

Thanks so much for your help![/quote]

Hi there. I'm more than happy to answer your q's as best I can.

1) Absolutely. I've never seen any type of discrimination against hiring. There's tons of 19 and 20 year olds being hired. In fact, BCAS probably prefers these younger hires for several reasons including: Generally happy with the pay, not yet bitter from working in other environments, no bad habits learned over the years, eager and willing to learn, physically fit, not tied down/willing to live anywhere in the province... among other things.

2) No idea about JIBC's wait list. Perhaps people are on the wait list for certain locations? I know the wait list is a bit of a façade though and if you are willing to go anywhere in the province you can often get into a course last minute, even after the application period has shut. They want to fill all the seats. But if you are wanting New West or Vic only then you may need to play their game.

3) Tough question to answer, but it's important to note that the PCP certificate is worth 30 credits and it CAN be transferred to TRU (Thompson Rivers University).

4) There's a bunch. Check JIBC's website. Also search for one by the Vancouver Foundation. They are after you pay though, so it's no guarantee you'll get it.

5) Practicum is all over the place. It's definitely not scheduled months in advance. To be honest, I don't know how they do it now, but I would almost definitely be willing to bet it is still chaotic and all over the place. In my PCP class, no one held a job the entire time including practicum. But if you're already working for BCAS, then they would be flexible and that would be an ideal situation

6) The Diploma is a bit of a failed experiment in my opinion (sadly). It has been sort of abandoned and almost just feels like a money grab now. It's not needed for a PCP license, and it's not well respected in the workplace. The intent was to have it ladder into a bachelor's degree but I guess that's been abandoned for whatever reason.

7) YES. Forget the PCP for now, and just go and get your EMR (3 week course), then apply to BCAS as soon as possible and start working! The wait list to get a full-time job as a PCP is around 7 to 8 years right now and that time starts from the day you're hired! So the sooner, the better. You will have lots of time to get your PCP. You do not need the PCP to start working for BCAS. I always encourage every new employee to go this route. If you wait to apply until you've got your PCP, then you'll lose a year of seniority. Also, it's much nicer to go through the PCP program if you're already a BCAS employee (more resources, and more experience). Finally, it's a way smaller investment of time and money.

Good luck!

IdentityCC

Postby IdentityCC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi there Adam! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

I never knew the thing about Thompson Rivers University. That's actually a very useful bit of information! Thank you!

Would you happen to know how often the practicum shifts come? Like would you get 1-2 a week or closer to everyday?

Why is the Diploma not well respected? Especially since it's more advanced education than the PCP Certification.

Hmm, yes, I've heard about that. I was actually keeping that in mind, but the problem is BCAS hires at 19...I'm not 19 yet. So I might as well get my PCP and then by the time I finish it I'd be 19. Unless, I'm wrong, which I often am, and they would consider hiring an EMR at 18?

And speaking of age...is there an age requirement for the practicum?

And one more thing I forgot...is a Class 4 needed for EMR's? Or is that only to work as a PCP? And is a Class 4 need for the practicum portion?

Thanks again for your post! It helped a lot!

Arrio

Postby Arrio » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:13 am

[quote=""IdentityCC""]Hi there Adam! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

I never knew the thing about Thompson Rivers University. That's actually a very useful bit of information! Thank you!

Would you happen to know how often the practicum shifts come? Like would you get 1-2 a week or closer to everyday?

Why is the Diploma not well respected? Especially since it's more advanced education than the PCP Certification.

Hmm, yes, I've heard about that. I was actually keeping that in mind, but the problem is BCAS hires at 19...I'm not 19 yet. So I might as well get my PCP and then by the time I finish it I'd be 19. Unless, I'm wrong, which I often am, and they would consider hiring an EMR at 18?

And speaking of age...is there an age requirement for the practicum?

And one more thing I forgot...is a Class 4 needed for EMR's? Or is that only to work as a PCP? And is a Class 4 need for the practicum portion?

Thanks again for your post! It helped a lot![/quote]

Class 4 is needed to meet the requirement of hire. Don't worry too much about your age. The hiring process takes a while and by the time you get hired and start working, you'll reach the age of 19.
Also, JIBC's PCP program no longer use wait list system for their intake. You'll have to go through interviews and their selection process to get into the program.
I'm curious, which division are you in for SJA?
Last edited by Arrio on Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

IdentityCC

Postby IdentityCC » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:56 pm

[quote=""Arrio""]Class 4 is needed to meet the requirement of hire. Don't worry too much about your age. The hiring process takes a while and by the time you get hired and start working, you'll reach the age of 19.
Also, JIBC's PCP program no longer use wait list system for their intake. You'll have to go through interviews and their selection process to get into the program.
I'm curious, which division are you in for SJA?[/quote]

Hi Arrio,

Thanks for the information!
I'm with Divison 57 [New West]. I'm assuming you're also with SJA? If so, what's your division?

Arrio

Postby Arrio » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:57 am

[quote=""IdentityCC""]Hi Arrio,

Thanks for the information!
I'm with Divison 57 [New West]. I'm assuming you're also with SJA? If so, what's your division?[/quote]

Haha... Guess what. I'm from the same division as you are. I'll tell you more about Paramedic as a career on Monday if you are coming to the meetings.

IdentityCC

Postby IdentityCC » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:28 pm

[quote=""Arrio""]Haha... Guess what. I'm from the same division as you are. I'll tell you more about Paramedic as a career on Monday if you are coming to the meetings.[/quote]

I had a feeling you were, b/c Arrio isn't exactly a name every other person has. And I had no idea you were a paramedic! That's amazing! But nope, not coming this Monday, have an exam then. :( So I'll see you the meeting after that in January. Thanks so much!!!