Industrial Firefighters

bouge002

ozfire

Postby bouge002 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Hey

is there any opportunities down under as an industrial firefighter, if so could you please list them for me so that I can do my research, I apprieciate any information you can send my way thanks.

OzFire

Postby OzFire » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:48 am

For Defence force bases there is two companys 1st Serco Services 2nd Transfield Services, Both employ Medics and Industrial FF's.
Serco also supplies an industrial fire service in the steel works.

Petro chemical there is Shell, Mobile and Caltex.

Mining you could try Rio Tinto.

Hope this gives you a start point.

OzzyOsmond

Hey!

Postby OzzyOsmond » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:33 am

Sorry for the lack of response.

Let's just start with this:

If you see ads for industrial f/f's in the Edmonton area, and the company is Securitas, I'd HIGHLY advise that you NOT apply. It's for work at Dow Chemical in Fort Saskatchewan, and it's probably the least desirable place to go. Nothing against Securitas as a company. It has to do with the job itself. They're integrated (Fire/Rescue/EMS/Security) The emphasis is on security. Essentially you're a security guard that has f/f certification. here's also quite alot of idiots that are Dow employees that have their fingers in things there.

As for the pay, they're making $55,000 a year. Sounds like a decent wage, but there's alot of tolerating of bullshit. There's better places to go. There's a definite lack of training too. They want you to have it all up front so all they have to do is give you refresher each year. Your skill set will rust out from lack of usage. Not many fires, and not even many medical runs. Not a good place to go if you're young. If you're older and just looking to pull down some $$$ to go along with a military pension, then as long as you have a thick skin, it's reccomended.

Industrial is a broad term. I don't really consider oil field F/F as industrial. I think of it simply as oilfield fire fighting. Industrial is at in the petro-chemical or refinery setting. Most of it is surround & drown, defensive stuff. There are tons of hydrants with monitors on them, and deluge systems to suppress vapors & fire. Not all that exciting if you're looking for real Fire/Rescue.

Halfglass

Postby Halfglass » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:30 pm

I’ve heard rumours (albeit unsubstantiated) that now may be a good time to be looking for industrial firefighting (refinery) work in Saskatchewan. Can someone in the know fill me in? Are the rumours accurate? If they are, which companies should I be looking at? Any help would be appreciated.

firemaster

Postby firemaster » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Well the coop upgrader refinery in Regina (CCRL) does has an emergency response team to deal with "situations" inside the facility. However, to qualify for a position on the team I believe you must be a process operator (for CCRL) for at least 5 years before they will consider you. They use their own staff for fire protection that are on call within the facility doing their regular daily duties.

However, I have heard some rumours about an ethanol plant being built around Moose Jaw where some personnel would be required. No idea when.

Most of the big refinery jobs are all in Alberta, but with the new oilsands development going on in Northern Saskatchewan, there could be some "CNRL type" jobs opening up in the next 5 years maybe?

Seems the only firefighting jobs to be had in Sask right now are through municipal departments. A lot of retirements happening just like everywhere else.

efuchslin

jobs?

Postby efuchslin » Thu May 22, 2008 9:07 pm

hey i just graduated from a fire academy in california and i'm working on a hand crew over the summer, but i'd like to get into oil well fire fighting and im not really where to start any advice? i have all my certs and am an emt, i'm just kinda lost when it comes to this kind of stuff any info would be helpful

eric_richardson

Postby eric_richardson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:44 am

Hi there! My name is Eric I am 19 years of age and am currently pursuing a degree in kinesiology. I'm hoping to get some insight on what career path I should follow from some of you guys that have been around the block. I know I am very interested in a firefighting career but do not know what route to take. I have heard industrial is where most people go to make the most money but others say working in a city is a more satisfying environment. I have applied for a wildfire crew in the summer to gain a broader outlook on firefighting but am hoping some of you can share some of your own input. Thanks!

Scoot

Postby Scoot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:11 pm

I've worked as an industrial firefighter in Alberta for about 6 months and I have to admit, it was the most boring thing I've done.

I'd have to agree with OzzyOsmond, I don't consider the oil patch as industrial. I was initially told I'd be at a station in a plant. That couldn't have been further from the truth, sat in a "fire truck" for 12hrs a day and that's it.

The "fire truck" was a shower unit with hoses on it, we were essentially shower hands with NFPA Certifications.

I would really do my research before I do industrial firefighting again, not what I expected and didn't build on my skills at all. I had a fire chief laugh at me when I used industrial firefighting as experience to get on with his department.

ceamer

Postby ceamer » Mon May 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Scoot, what company were you working for?

Postby 8888 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:35 am

[quote=""eric_richardson""]Hi there! My name is Eric I am 19 years of age and am currently pursuing a degree in kinesiology. I'm hoping to get some insight on what career path I should follow from some of you guys that have been around the block. I know I am very interested in a firefighting career but do not know what route to take. I have heard industrial is where most people go to make the most money but others say working in a city is a more satisfying environment. I have applied for a wildfire crew in the summer to gain a broader outlook on firefighting but am hoping some of you can share some of your own input. Thanks![/quote]

The format is usually the same for all industrial fire fighting gigs/companies
(Bravo, Firemaster,Firepower, Trojan, HSE, Safety Boss, Northwest Fire Rescue etc)

Scoot pretty much gave an accurate description of what the job is like.
If I could add, when there is no work you are usually in the shop doing something.
Cleaning the MTC (makeshift ambulances), sweeping the floor, sometimes they get you to do maintenance on the trucks and vehicles. You will most likely be doing alot of shop hours during the summer break up period.

There's only a handfull that have an actual hall/station on site.
Usually those are found in Fort Mac , Alberta
Suncor and CNRL are the ones I can think of from off the top of my head.
Those are tough to get into.

If you read more on the boards you'll find the pros and cons regarding industrial Firefighting.

cheers
Last edited by 8888 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.