Industrial Firefighters

yyz_arff

industrail firefighting

Postby yyz_arff » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:44 pm

how is the pay? what type of training due you do? How are the benefits? Is there a high turnover rate. I was very interested in getting in to industrial firefighting after watching boots and coots knock down those fires after desert storm. Post any pics if you have them.
yyz_arff

NOTHING LIKE THE SMELL OF JET BLAST

OzzyOsmond

Industrial Fire fighting

Postby OzzyOsmond » Sun May 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Ask away! I'm a 21 year veteran.

Soolang7

Hey ozzy,

Postby Soolang7 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 am

I am currently enrolled at a Firefighter Recruit program that is Nationally recognized. I am thinking of getting into Industrial Firefighting as it would take awhile before getting into city positions. What is the main difference besides pay, about industrial?

Thanks

firesmith

questions about industrial

Postby firesmith » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:12 am

Hey, I am an industrial firefighter for CNRL north of Fort Mac. If you have any questions about working directly at a plant site I can help you with that. Up here there are 5 full time plants right now. The money is amazing, training is good, shifts are great (7on 7off) and an awsome benifits package. you get to be involved with all types of rescue, hazmat, arff, you name it. jacks of every trade, experts in nothing lol (down side). its great to find out what you want and to set your self up finacially if you plan to go back to a city. If industrial is what you want this is the time to get in and advance your career in it. If you have your EMT as well then it should be easy to get here. If you want to know more about it ask away. If you want to check it out and feel like coming up for a visit I can set that up to.

Good luck

Soolang7

Firesmith

Postby Soolang7 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:14 pm

I have sent you a PM. I would like to hear more about his position. It sounds great. I am looking at going anywhere in Canada when I am finished my Work Term Placement in Newfoundland.

Hope to talk soon

Sapsprog

Postby Sapsprog » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Hey Firesmith I know cnrl is looking for guys right now . Are they looking for paramedics or fire. I know alot of the guys up there and was offered a postion when they first opened. So are they looking for the same trng and is the pay still in the 80/yr range

firesmith

Postby firesmith » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:08 pm

We are looking for firefighter EMR's/EMT's/EMT-P's right now. the base pay is lower than $80 - I think 67 for entry level but with the co-savings, OTX2 and statX3 you do a little better than that!!

bouge002

Postby bouge002 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Hey Firesmith,

first of all I want to say thank you for taking the time out of your schedule and replying to the board. I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions that I may have. I'm a recent graduate of the fire science and technology program in sarnia, ontario.

Some of the certificates that I hold are nfpa 1001, hazmat incident command and emergency patient care. I've been considering the oil fields out west for some time now and I was wondering based on those creditials if you think that I have a good shot.

I'm willing to go across canada, I'm young and my dream is to become a firefighter. What advice would you give me if you were in my position.

thanks in advance

firesmith

Postby firesmith » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:52 pm

Hate to say it but ACP registered EMT/PCP...... Most departments out west municiple and industrial want it or require it. EMT will give you the upper edge but EMR is the minum we will hire. Your 472 IC will definatly look good as well. Dont hold your application back if you dont meet everything on the posting. I didnt have everything they wanted, but enough to get in the door. They will just send you off on paid time to get qualified. I would be surprised if we have hired anyone that met the posting qualifications.
Last edited by firesmith on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OzFire

Postby OzFire » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:28 am

I am an Industrial fire fighter in Australia, if that helps you out.