airport ff

Meck

airport ff

Postby Meck » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

How do i get started, find and apply for this position? I cant even find a school which teaches nfpa1003. I like that it includes maintenance and such but no one seems to talk about it much.

wearitwell

Postby wearitwell » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Toronto airport offers 1003, but for half the price check out, DFWhttps://www.dfwairport.com/firetraining/
san bernadino has one, http://www.sbretc.org/

I goto these 2 places to get re certed every year. And the airport im at does not include maintenance. All the major airports are strictly ff. Vancouver,toronto,edmonton,whitehorse,yellowknife,ottawa,

EddieP

Postby EddieP » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 pm

[quote=""Meck""]How do i get started, find and apply for this position? I cant even find a school which teaches nfpa1003. I like that it includes maintenance and such but no one seems to talk about it much.[/quote]

There is a pilot project just getting underway in Alberta that will certify firefighters to the CARs (Canadian Aviation Regulations) 323 training level, giving the participant, upon successful completion, a leg up on other applicants for airport firefighting jobs. As of now, there will be a requirement for a prerequisite of 1001, but as the program develops, and based on need, it could be a full course. It will be basically a practicum, where you will study and ride along/work with the crew on duty.
The initial training will be for a week. You'd receive your CARs certification, radio operators licence, obtain the local AVOP, gain practical on the job experience (including responding to calls, inspections, PR, etc), and will be completed with live fire training between April and October. Once completed (including the live fires), you'll be fully CARs certified. I expect the training to be offered early in the new year.