Trucks
19%
Spec Pay
39%
taken off ship
19%

Total votes: 31

Postby 8888 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:13 pm

How easy is it to transfer to a muni dept as a CF FF?

Theres alot of people trying to get on a civi/muni dept on the forums. Alot have the certs and the experience but are waiting up to 5 or more years just to get hired.

Are the ones leaving the CF FF job going into the DND or Muni halls like Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver etc?

Its hard to get hired on a Muni hall, and I was wondering how being a CF FF puts you in front of the line?
Do CF FF put in a release after their Qs , get a side job while waiting for
a muni/civi posting(s) ?

It may sound like a stupid question but I'm just curious.

Cheers

fire17

Postby fire17 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Well first off, you don't really transfer. Having been through the process. You must apply just like everyone else. Go through all the steps and pass all of them. Some of them leave for civi dnd, but others like myself and friends of mine have left for municipal depts all over Canada. Most apply well still in the military and as long as you have signed your second contract you can get out of the forces in one month. Some wait till their first contract is almost up and start applying. And it doesn't necessarily put you in front of the line. Some cities value military experience more than others. I was offered positions with 3 different cities, and other cities not even granted an interview after scoring in the 90's on both practical and written. Keep in mind a lot of military personnel have arrogant attitudes, probably partially due to the fact that in basic training you are told you are better than civilians, also due to the fact a lot of them no nothing else but the military they have been in since high school and do not realize how the rest of society functions (this can hinder your ability to get hired with a civilian department) I worked with a lot of people like this at dnd Edmonton fire hall.

ex_re

Postby ex_re » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 pm

[quote=""fire17""] Keep in mind a lot of military personnel have arrogant attitudes, probably partially due to the fact that in basic training you are told you are better than civilians, also due to the fact a lot of them no nothing else but the military they have been in since high school and do not realize how the rest of society functions [/quote]

That's a pretty wide brush you're painting us all with.

Maybe you have no idea where some of these military guys are coming from either?

ndvfd_ff33

Postby ndvfd_ff33 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 am

[quote=""fire17""]Keep in mind a lot of military personnel have arrogant attitudes, probably partially due to the fact that in basic training you are told you are better than civilians, also due to the fact a lot of them no nothing else but the military they have been in since high school and do not realize how the rest of society functions (this can hinder your ability to get hired with a civilian department) I worked with a lot of people like this at dnd Edmonton fire hall.[/quote]

I must have been asleep during the part of basic where they told us we're better than civilians. I don't know anyone who's been told that or thinks it. If they actually said that, which I have my doubts, then you had a giant douche bag for an instructor(s).

I think ex re summed it up pretty good. You're painting a lot of people, many of whom you probably don't know, with a pretty broad brush.
Last edited by ndvfd_ff33 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

firefighter7799

Postby firefighter7799 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am

For a while I thought we were the best and it just made me seem like a idiot. I just want to be happy I want my family to be happy and the CF can't do that anymore. I am in the middle of a process now and I hope I get the job. As for the 30 day release we shall see what they say. I am hoping as I have almost 20 years in and have done my time in this trade and the other we won't speak of ha ha