CF Firefighter Trade Now Accepting Direct Entry Applicants

JayG

CF Firefighter Trade Now Accepting Direct Entry Applicants

Postby JayG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:47 am

http://forces.ca/en/job/firefighter-62# ... ducation-3
"We are now accepting applications for this job through Direct Entry."
"Fire Fighter is a very popular occupation and, as a result, very competitive. Successful applicants often have additional education in a related field or previous experience as a full- or part-time fire fighter. Applicants should be physically fit, follow a physical fitness program and pursue an active and healthy lifestyle."

http://forces.ca/en/job/firefighter-62# ... g-2#info-1
"The starting salary for a fully trained Fire Fighter is $49,400 per year; however, depending on previous experience and training the starting salary may be higher. Fire Fighters serve with the Forces by working on various bases throughout Canada, onboard ships and in military missions. Fire Fighters may be required to move to a base anywhere in Canada."

"After four years, the Fire Fighter must serve approximately three years as a Corporal as part of a ship's crew, during which they may serve on a mission at sea for up to six months. Over the course of their careers, Fire Fighters will normally serve three tours with the Royal Canadian Navy."

Postby 8888 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Hey,

Not to put a downer on things but I was told by a recruiter
That the trade is currently closed.
I was told that I would have to wait till April to see if it opens.

Unless someone else knows different.
The forces website is rarely updated.

Cheers
Last edited by 8888 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndvfd_ff33

Postby ndvfd_ff33 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm

That's been up for a few months now. One day there was barely any trades accepting applications and the next practically everything was.

JayG

Postby JayG » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm going to apply anyway. The worst that happens is they don't hire.

JayG

Postby JayG » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:20 pm

NDVFD,
Do you know which air bases have military firefighters on them?
I have heard Edmonton, Trenton, and Comox are a few.

fire149

Postby fire149 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Greenwood, NS
Shearwater, NS
Bagotville, Que
Trenton, Ont
Borden, Ont ( Instructors )
North Bay, Ont ( Sgt and maybe a Mcpl )
Winnipeg, MB ( QL5's )
Edmonton, AB
Cold Lake, AB
Comox, BC
Ships West
Ships East.

JayG

Postby JayG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for the list

Harbinger

Postby Harbinger » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:35 pm

The trade is definitely open. Every year is another record-breaker for number of releases out of the trade. People are leaving far faster than they can be replaced by recruitment and the idiotically long training course.

Hold out, don't accept any other trades from the recruiter, and you will (most likely) eventually get offered a position. And then you can refuse your QL5 course and fight to get released a few years later as well.

Postby 8888 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 am

[quote=""Harbinger""]The trade is definitely open. Every year is another record-breaker for number of releases out of the trade. People are leaving far faster than they can be replaced by recruitment and the idiotically long training course.

Hold out, don't accept any other trades from the recruiter, and you will (most likely) eventually get offered a position. And then you can refuse your QL5 course and fight to get released a few years later as well.[/quote]

Out of curiosity , why were people saying the posting was closed to the public
And the open spots reserved for remusters?

Would you know Why people refuse the QL5 course?
I guess the reason being is the municiple depts pay more?
I'm sure there are other reasons?

I heard the trade is under review. The hull techs are the ones dealing with the fire fighting duties on the ships. There was also a rumor about receiving spec pay.

Cheers

JayG

Postby JayG » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Harbinger,
It's always hard to tell over the interwebz but it seems like there is some hostility towards the trade. Would you recommend against going in if you were offered the chance to move forward?

Also can anyone who has done the 15 week bmq give me a realistic assessment of what it was like?