DZ license in Ontario

Advancements, reviews, maintenance questions, discuss anything apparatus related...
PFD023

Postby PFD023 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:44 pm

[quote=""boogs82""]Actually they can. Same as a firefighter can if need be.[/quote]

[quote=""dentedhead""]It is good for a year as far as I recall.Make sure you have your circle check down pat.

FYI a copper cant drive an ambulance either

Dentedhead[/quote]

Geez louise....how do ya think Keanu Reeves got away with driving the bus in Speed....man how soon they forget.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:52 pm

[quote=""boogs82""]Actually they can. Same as a firefighter can if need be.[/quote]

I stand corrected.

It has obviously been amended.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

PFD023

Postby PFD023 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:06 pm

[quote=""dentedhead""]I stand corrected.

It has obviously been amended.

Dentedhead[/quote]

Obviously......cough cough.

granmasterc

stay away from Richard's Truck Driving School in Mississauga

Postby granmasterc » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:32 pm

This is for those trying to get their DZ license
-----------
I wanted to share the experience I had along with another fellow student that attended this school for our DZ license. First off their packages are misleading. They tell you that included are 6 half-hour road lesson in preparation for your road test. But what they don't tell you after you attend your first lesson (which lasts 1.5 hours) your remaining 3 lessons are used on the day they attend the road test with you. So in fact you only get that one 1.5 hour lesson. Secondly, that 1 lesson could be sufficient if you are an experienced driver and know a bit about the pre-trip circle check. But if most of this is new to you there is no way you will remember everything that they quickly run over in that session. I ended up having to purchase 2 additional lessons at $130 each to feel more confident. The student I met at the Ministry location on test day only attended that one class because they told him that is all he needed. They didn't even take him out on the road with the vehicle; they just made him drive around the parking lot a couple of times. When I was going over all the pre-trip stuff with him, he was missing a lot key details that had he missed, he would have failed for sure. He also indicated that the school's attitude changed towards him when he advised them that he was ready for his road test. They turned from this customer friendly company to being very cold and unwilling to give up further information. I also felt the change in attitude when I decided to schedule my road test and not do additional classes. When they scheduled me for my final lesson before the exam they gave me a new guy that was a complete jerk and seemed like he was trying to do everything possible to confuse me. I had asked the company to give me my final lesson a day before my road test but they said that they didn't have openings. When I did my final lessons two days before my road test, the new instructor advised me to buy another lesson because he didn’t' think I was ready...he said that he had an opening the following day...surprise surprise, the day before my road test. I would be surprised if this company hasn't been reported to the better business bureau. I don't agree with their practices. Instead of trying to scam people why don't they increase the cost of their courses and create a more decent program. Stay away from this school. There are other things that I am leaving out here but I'm sure you get the gist of it all...The other student who I met at the road test thanked me for all the help I gave him that day, he said that if it wasn’t for me he would have failed for sure. I’d hate to see this happen to other people!

FFDundass

Postby FFDundass » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:01 pm

If you can rent or borrow a truck you can take the road test but you may have to get a truck driver to rent it for you. I was lucky that when I got my "A" my employer needed an other driver and I just took the truck in and did the test. Although many RVers get away with driving most motor homes and travel trailers with a "G" they are quite often "D" OR "A" class by weight and are not stopped at the scales. If you ask maybe they would let you test with one and they may be simpler to rent. If you like kids Bus company are always looking for warm bodies and will train you to a "B" allowing you drive a "D". The only problem with not taking a course on your own is that one don't get a knowledgeable instructor and that is the real advantage to a trucking course so if you do take one talk to the instructor first and make sure he not just pumping out bodies, then it's a total waste.

Aerial1

DZ made more EZ !

Postby Aerial1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 pm

[quote=""granmasterc""]This is for those trying to get their DZ license
-----------
I wanted to share the experience I had along with another fellow student that attended this school for our DZ license. First off their packages are misleading. They tell you that included are 6 half-hour road lesson in preparation for your road test. But what they don't tell you after you attend your first lesson (which lasts 1.5 hours) your remaining 3 lessons are used on the day they attend the road test with you. So in fact you only get that one 1.5 hour lesson. Secondly, that 1 lesson could be sufficient if you are an experienced driver and know a bit about the pre-trip circle check. But if most of this is new to you there is no way you will remember everything that they quickly run over in that session. I ended up having to purchase 2 additional lessons at $130 each to feel more confident. The student I met at the Ministry location on test day only attended that one class because they told him that is all he needed. They didn't even take him out on the road with the vehicle; they just made him drive around the parking lot a couple of times. When I was going over all the pre-trip stuff with him, he was missing a lot key details that had he missed, he would have failed for sure. He also indicated that the school's attitude changed towards him when he advised them that he was ready for his road test. They turned from this customer friendly company to being very cold and unwilling to give up further information. I also felt the change in attitude when I decided to schedule my road test and not do additional classes. When they scheduled me for my final lesson before the exam they gave me a new guy that was a complete jerk and seemed like he was trying to do everything possible to confuse me. I had asked the company to give me my final lesson a day before my road test but they said that they didn't have openings. When I did my final lessons two days before my road test, the new instructor advised me to buy another lesson because he didn’t' think I was ready...he said that he had an opening the following day...surprise surprise, the day before my road test. I would be surprised if this company hasn't been reported to the better business bureau. I don't agree with their practices. Instead of trying to scam people why don't they increase the cost of their courses and create a more decent program. Stay away from this school. There are other things that I am leaving out here but I'm sure you get the gist of it all...The other student who I met at the road test thanked me for all the help I gave him that day, he said that if it wasn’t for me he would have failed for sure. I’d hate to see this happen to other people![/quote]

Wow sounds like a real cash grab training scam ! If you have anyone trying to get a DZ
licence and are willing to make a short trip to this school in Hamilton called Modern Training. They were awesome and cheap $ 690.00 for a total of 19 hours of training and included was the Z portion. There were 15 pre-service students in my DZ class and all passed the MTO test first attempt. The DZ training program is done on actual fire trucks with firefighter instructors doing all the instruction. This school also allowed me to use the fire truck for my MTO road test at no additional cost. The class also got cool Fire/Rescue school Tshirts as a graduation gift from the school what else could you ask for.
100 % Class Act !

Hope this may help make the DZ more EZ !

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Another nod for Modern from me. Lots of time behind the wheel on the old Mack fire truck, covering all of the routes the MTO uses for the test and all of the instruction/information you could need to pass.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:33 pm

[quote=""GodSpeed""]Another nod for Modern from me. Lots of time behind the wheel on the old Mack fire truck, covering all of the routes the MTO uses for the test and all of the instruction/information you could need to pass.[/quote]

There are plenty of driving schools that teach you how to pass the roadtest but not many that actually teach you how to drive.

Not saying that modern is one but it is something to think about.

Dentedhead

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm

[quote=""dentedhead""]There are plenty of driving schools that teach you how to pass the roadtest but not many that actually teach you how to drive.[/quote]
You don't feel the MTO road test offers a fair evaluation of the operator's competency?

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 pm

[quote=""GodSpeed""]You don't feel the MTO road test offers a fair evaluation of the operator's competency?[/quote]

It gives the examiner a very short glimpse at a driver on their best behaviour.

What i am refering to is being taught what to do if --------- or --------- happens not just driving the test route and being given tips on what they will look for at this street or at this intersection.

When i got my A license i researched the schools and chose school 1 over school 2 all school 2 did was teach you how to pass the road test.School 1 taught you how to drive defensively get out of jams understand the dynamics of your vehicle loads etc.the names are very similar and i had been asked in interviews which one i went to it usually required the instructors name to clarify.They would come right out and say if you went to school 2 we wouldnt hire you.

Thats what i was trying to point out.

dentedhead