Violence in the firehall

We all know anyone involved in the firefighting and rescue community is no stranger to stress...
freddie

Violence in the firehall

Postby freddie » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:24 pm

We all know that the fire hall is no stranger to good natured ribbing and pranks. I was just wondering if any of you have either had things go too far? If so where you the party that went too far or where you on the recieving end? Or just an observer?
If and when things went to far did it end in violence or a just a good sit down? Have any of you been witness to violence in the firehall, if so did it go to the brass or was there a few punches thrown and that was the end of it?

bestcoast

Postby bestcoast » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

My crew is like my 2nd family. I spend more time with them some weeks than I do with my family. We eat/sleep/live together under the same roof for 48 hrs a week sometimes more. Like any family there are some disagreements and arguements but I have never seen it come to blows. Disagreements are usaully talked out or forgotten about in short order. If anything can't be resolved at the Hall level usually someone will get a transfer to calm things down. But serious violence i've never seen.....................BC..............

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:08 pm

bestcoast wrote:My crew is like my 2nd family. I spend more time with them some weeks than I do with my family. We eat/sleep/live together under the same roof for 48 hrs a week sometimes more. Like any family there are some disagreements and arguements but I have never seen it come to blows. Disagreements are usaully talked out or forgotten about in short order. If anything can't be resolved at the Hall level usually someone will get a transfer to calm things down. But serious violence i've never seen.....................BC..............

What.............BC....................said :d ito:

FitSsikS

Postby FitSsikS » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:46 pm

My crew is one big family. We laugh and suffer together.
I don't ever recall a fight.

Here's one and we have to go to NY to get it.

A proud night for FDNY

Perhaps they should change their hiring practices a la RBC.
Last edited by FitSsikS on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On paid duty 24/7........................a month.

firefighter26

Postby firefighter26 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 pm

OUCH, talk about making a few wrong choices.

As for me, I've never seen things come to throwing punches at each other but there have been a few lively debates that have come close until cooler heads prevailed. The strange thing is, this usually happened at meetings and never during "social" events!
"No one ever called the fire department for doing something smart"
- Unknown

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper

LTPVFD

Violence in the Fire Hall

Postby LTPVFD » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:45 am

When I was in the Okanagan, I was witness to an incident that turned ugly. One of the guys had backed into the bay door while undergoing driver training with our new rig. Of course it was the subject of some good natured ribbing, but it shouldn't go on forever.

Anyway, another one of the guys just couldn't let it go, and the ribbing continued. The object of the riibbing had had enough, and made it known that is was time to forget it.

The guy who couldn't let it go continued on one night, and continued even after being warned to stop. :stupido2: The guy who was being ribbed finally had enough, and took the other guy down with a few punches. :boxing: Wasn't pretty to witness, but it put an end to it.

Both were called into visit with the Chief and Deputy Chief. Not sure what was said, but both were civil to each other after that.

Hindsight being 20/20, the situation should have never got to the point that it did. An earlier intervention would have prevented some bruised knuckles, and a bruised ego.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!

Fired Up

Postby Fired Up » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:40 pm

I'm a member of a small career department. Earlier this week I was attacked by an off duty co-worker who I had asked to speak to over his displeasure over an internal e-mail that I sent. The e-mail was to pass on a few things that I had found over the weekend that needed to be attended to by the duty crew working during the week.

To make a long story short, my colleague came after me after I tried to resolve any issues that he had with this e-mail. I pinned him against the wall and tried to calm him down and reminded him that this could not happen in our firehall. Other members, including the chief who just happened to have stopped by, heard the commotion and broke it up. I ended up with a number of scrathes on my neck and a bloody ear.

Now seeing that the start of the incident was unwitnessed and my colleague is lieing through his teeth to save his ass, the chief is giving us both letters of reprimand.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this but my colleague uses bully tactics and intimidation to try and get his way. The problem for him is that I don't give in to that crap. The chief has turned a blind eye to his antics many, many times and now I'm being disciplined because this fellow has been let to do what he pleases with no recourse.

I am a little disheartened, angry and want to take this guy outside and wipe the floor with him. For the first time since joining the fire service I am thinking about a career change.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Leafs Fan

Postby Leafs Fan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:44 pm

[quote=""Fired Up""]I'm a member of a small career department. Earlier this week I was attacked by an off duty co-worker who I had asked to speak to over his displeasure over an internal e-mail that I sent. The e-mail was to pass on a few things that I had found over the weekend that needed to be attended to by the duty crew working during the week.

To make a long story short, my colleague came after me after I tried to resolve any issues that he had with this e-mail. I pinned him against the wall and tried to calm him down and reminded him that this could not happen in our firehall. Other members, including the chief who just happened to have stopped by, heard the commotion and broke it up. I ended up with a number of scrathes on my neck and a bloody ear.

Now seeing that the start of the incident was unwitnessed and my colleague is lieing through his teeth to save his ass, the chief is giving us both letters of reprimand.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this but my colleague uses bully tactics and intimidation to try and get his way. The problem for him is that I don't give in to that crap. The chief has turned a blind eye to his antics many, many times and now I'm being disciplined because this fellow has been let to do what he pleases with no recourse.

I am a little disheartened, angry and want to take this guy outside and wipe the floor with him. For the first time since joining the fire service I am thinking about a career change.

Thanks for letting me vent.[/quote]

hey fired up, that sucks. do not take the reprimand without a fight. file a greivance so you can show that at least you don't show consent by silence to the reprimand. having that on your file could hurt promotion.The squeaky wheel gets the oil so file that grievance, see your grievance chairman for proper wording, they have a duty to represent.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Not sure if anyone is aware of One Firefighter shooting another at the firehall, both were on the same shift and were drunk to boot!

I tried finding it on Firehouse.com but couldn't find the story... can anyone relay it?????
How the hell did I end up here?????

Fired Up

Postby Fired Up » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:02 pm

[quote=""Leafs Fan""]hey fired up, that sucks. do not take the reprimand without a fight. file a greivance so you can show that at least you don't show consent by silence to the reprimand. having that on your file could hurt promotion.The squeaky wheel gets the oil so file that grievance, see your grievance chairman for proper wording, they have a duty to represent.[/quote]

Thanks Leafs! I've been considering a grievance. My colleagues apparent story doesn't match with the physical evidence as the scratches on my neck and ear are consistent with aggressive behavior not defensive as he is suggesting.

Although I regret the incident happening I do not know what else I could have done other than to avoid the person all together. I tried to resolve a problem he had but instead he escalated it to a physical level. The entire time while he was trying to throw haymakers I was restraining him and reminding him that we couldn't do this in the hall.

If I was to show you the e-mail that he freaked about you'd be surprised. It's completely innocent and harmless. It contained a few questions, pointed out a CO2 extinguisher that needed hydrostat that I couldnt do on a Sunday and discussed the possibility of removing some outdated material from this piece of apparatus. He took it as me trying to make myself look better than everyone else. Totally wrong.

But anyways, thanks for your reply.