Helping others deal with it

We all know anyone involved in the firefighting and rescue community is no stranger to stress...
Nagrom

Helping others deal with it

Postby Nagrom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 pm

The other day was crazy...

On a highway near us, there was a fatal MVA, then, that night, we got called to an MVA. To add to the initial stress of the call in the first place, we recived a call about one and a half minutes later of a working barn fire, and we had to set up for lifeflight. Lifeflight was handled by a couple of members, a couple went to the MVA and met mutual aid, and I was on the barn fire. Numerous prized animals were lost in the fire. One young boy died in the MVA.

I had never met him, and wasn't anywhere's near that call. That one is not so much effecting me, but some other people seem like it is effecting them. I particularly feel for the RCMP officers, who handled two fatals in one shift. Really, I'm not sure of what to say to the other FFs, if anything. As far as I know, a CISD has been planned.

It's wierd. The part of the night that effected me the most, was a little girl walking away from the barn fire, crying about the horses. That was a little tough to see.
Last edited by Nagrom on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RspctFrmCalgary

Postby RspctFrmCalgary » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:03 pm

I hope talking about it here and the advice you will undoubtedly get from other members will help you not only help others deal with it, but also yourself.

From the little bit I know as a civilian, from conversations over the years with firefighters in person, on FH and IACOJ about difficult calls and CISD, it isn't always the "obvious" that effects some people the most. Sometimes it is "little" things like the girl crying about the horses, for example, that really get to someone rather than the loss of life or more gory details of a call.

Hope I'm saying it the right way so you get what I mean.

My thoughts are with all involved. :(
I respect firefighters and emergency services personnel all over the world. Thank you for what you do.

NEVER FORGET 343 FDNY :(

Sheri
Chair of the IACOJ Crusty Convention Committee
Former member of Calgary Firefighters Museum
Honorary Flatlander

Nagrom

Postby Nagrom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Yeah, thats sort of what I'm talking about.

It is really bitter-sweet. I hate saying that, but, I was the nozzleman on one of the lines, which was my first time on the nozzle, or on a hose for anything bigger than a car. It was super exciting, but at the same time, all of this is floating around, the whole area is a mess right now. Rumors are rampant, and talk is everywhere.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1090612.html

There is the article about the barn fire...
Last edited by Nagrom on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCCHam

Postby DCCHam » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:48 pm

We have the CISD team coming in tomorrow afternoon for that first MVC on the highway that you mentioned. We were actually asked by the RCMP to get the team in, as they have a few members having a tough time with that call. I had some newer members on the call as well, and the gentleman killed was a well known local, so having the team in might be a good idea.

With your guys' calls that same evening has really taken its toll on some of the RCMP and FF's that attended both calls. Hopefully this CISD team session will help those that need it.

ndvfd_ff33

Postby ndvfd_ff33 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:25 pm

[quote=""Nagrom""]Really, I'm not sure of what to say to the other FFs, if anything. As far as I know, a CISD has been planned.[/quote]

Sometimes there is nothing you really can say. If they want to talk, they will. The best thing you can do is be there for them if they want to talk about it and just listen to what they have to say. Different people deal with it different ways.

I was never one who liked to just sit around and talk about stuff like that. I just did my own thing. But that was me.

If you need to vent at all, my PM's are always open and I'm sure most of the people here would try and help you out too. Along with the people at your own dept.

DCCHam

Postby DCCHam » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:28 pm

We held the CIS debriefing today, and only 5 of our members showed up. No EHS personnel or RCMP members came, even though they were the one's to request it. All we can do is offer the help and make it available to them, we can't force the help on anyone who doesn't want it......but for anyone that has been through it can tell you, it's well worth it!

Here's the article and picture of the MVC we had on Thursday:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1090457.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RspctFrmCalgary

Postby RspctFrmCalgary » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:44 pm

[quote=""DCCHam""]We held the CIS debriefing today, and only 5 of our members showed up. No EHS personnel or RCMP members came, even though they were the one's to request it. All we can do is offer the help and make it available to them, we can't force the help on anyone who doesn't want it......but for anyone that has been through it can tell you, it's well worth it!

Here's the article and picture of the MVC we had on Thursday:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1090457.html[/quote]

5 out of how many?

Can someone request a one-on-one at a later date or are you in an area where it's now or never?

Hopefully those who work closely with the personnel who didn't attend the CISD will keep an eye out so they can recognize unusual behaviour that may indicate all is not OK with their brothers/sisters who seemed to be most effected but didn't attend CISD. I can't seem to find the right words to really say what I mean *sigh*. Guess I'm trying to say, just make sure they know they can come to you (or if not you, encourage them to talk to SOMEONE) if they need to vent.
I respect firefighters and emergency services personnel all over the world. Thank you for what you do.

NEVER FORGET 343 FDNY :(

Sheri
Chair of the IACOJ Crusty Convention Committee
Former member of Calgary Firefighters Museum
Honorary Flatlander

DCCHam

Postby DCCHam » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm

5 out of 8 that were on scene (including the driver) of our members. Then there were two members of other departments that happened to be on scene where they work there and witnessed the whole thing and helped us the entire time. There were also over 12 RCMP officers, and 3 EHS personnel invited that were also on scene.

We are lucky that our CISD team is only 10 mins away, and can be contacted at any time of day or night. We also have two Chaplains on our department that can also be contacted at any time.

engineer

My two cents

Postby engineer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 pm

With my deepest thoughts to you and your brothers. here is my two cents

First, you have to keep in mind that being firefighters ( and future FF ) you work day to day in the greatest and most respected job in the world. I dont think there is a fire chief or anyone in a fire department that would want to work with another person that wouldnt lay down there life for someone else at the snap of a finger, this is who you are and it makes you a truely unique in the eyes of the world.

Knowing that you approach every call you make with the chance that you may never make it home is enough to scare the lights out of a normal person, this is what makes you firefighters- you chose this career because you feel you owe it to the world to make it a better and safer place ..........and if it takes your life to do so then so be it

You went to that fire and did everything scientifically possible to save as much as you could, risking you own life and future health doing so. You can wake up everyday knowing you did the best you could for that place, if there was anything else that could have been done........you would have been there..........sleep and sleep well with that in mind brother- your and your brothers are heros in the eyes of the world.

Cael

Postby Cael » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 am

All we can do is provide the help and create it available to them, we can't power the help on anyone who doesn't want it......but for anyone that has been through it can tell you, it's well value it!

gym memphis