How to get rid of stress?

We all know anyone involved in the firefighting and rescue community is no stranger to stress...
robinpitt123

How to get rid of stress?

Postby robinpitt123 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 am

Hi everyone…

Can anyone give an easy and simple stress beating tips to get rid of stress?

onsite

Postby onsite » Sat May 17, 2014 11:47 pm

There are tons of ways to burn off stress at the end of the day/week/after a tough call.
But it can vary from person to person. The big thing you need to do is figure out what works for you, and make sure you try to work off the stress early before it has a chance to really build up to toxic levels.
Try to make sure you work the stress off early. For example at lunch time try to go for a walk, or work out in the gym for 30min. After your shift go home and get in some exercise, go for a walk, do a yoga class, find what works for you and just do it.

You need to think along two lines of stress, mental and physical. Mental stress and tension wears you down, think of it like rust that can sometimes rot away at you, mental stress also has physical ramifications. Most people will carry there stress in their backs and necks, that' why yoga can help. You spend an hr relaxing mentally and physically.

What ever you find works for you, just do it!. Don't let stress build up to effect you and those you care about!.

Brian Bennett
ICISF Criticle Incident Stress Manegment, Group crisis instructor.

LTPVFD

Dealing With Stress

Postby LTPVFD » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:56 am

Appleton's rum and Pepsi ;)

Seriously though, I deal with stress through exercise. I used to swim distance almost every day, but with rotator cuff issues I rarely swim at all anymore. I do work out in the gym, usually 45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical, and some time doing light weights.

For serious incidents I attend a CISD, or one to one counselling sessions, but that is another topic in itself.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!

robinpitt123

Deal with stress

Postby robinpitt123 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:02 am

[quote=""LTPVFD""]Appleton's rum and Pepsi ;)

Seriously though, I deal with stress through exercise. I used to swim distance almost every day, but with rotator cuff issues I rarely swim at all anymore. I do work out in the gym, usually 45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical, and some time doing light weights.

For serious incidents I attend a CISD, or one to one counselling sessions, but that is another topic in itself.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD[/quote]

Ya its good alternatives to deal with stress. Exercise and swimming are good option to deal with stress but some instance it will not work up to that levels that you want. Some of my close friends and my physician suggest me to practice yoga and I have experience good outcomes as well. Thanks for your suggestion; I’ll definitely try to engage myself to join gymnasium and regular swimming.

jessica251356

Postby jessica251356 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 am

Yoga is nice exercise to keep yourself stress free.

tomwilliamau

Postby tomwilliamau » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:44 am

meditation reduces stress, meditation is best way to reduces stress

Hammond

Postby Hammond » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Yeah, sounds crazy but a 30 minute workout really can change the day.

...and don't tell the wife that you didn't get any calls when you get to work, otherwise the "Honey-Do" list will increase exponentially leading to more stress...

oceanwild

Postby oceanwild » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 am

to release the pressure. go work out.

PitterRicherd

Postby PitterRicherd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 am

Exactly The Techniques think positive avoid jealousy each other i read in this book Cureinnature.com

mmcleodk

Postby mmcleodk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:11 am

Exercise (I find heavy bag boxing/kickboxing workouts work best for me, though running and swimming can also work well)

Meditating (centering stuff, just focusing on your breathing, there's lots of exercises)

Try to maintain a normal day to day with friends/family etc, I find staying in routine helps me. I find my animals (dog and horse) help a lot with it, gives me something to focus on.

Counselling after a severe incident where cis can be suspected (note this might just be something thats a trigger for you rather than something that would normally be considered severe) I'm trigger happy with this step, I'd rather start the process and not need it than need it and have to wait.