York test timings?

Well my wife says I should try water aerobics...
desimunda

York test timings?

Postby desimunda » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 am

Hey guys, does anybody know what the 'pass' timings are for the YORK test?

I also want to confirm from those who have done it before that the stairs portion is: carry a 85Lb hose while wearing 40lb vest?

thank you

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:24 pm

[quote=""desimunda""]I also want to confirm from those who have done it before that the stairs portion is: carry a 85Lb hose while wearing 40lb vest?[/quote]
Yes, and ankle weights. 12.5lbs ea maybe?

5 flights, up and down, 2x.

desimunda

Postby desimunda » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 pm

that is a significant amount of weight. recruit firefighter website lists 4lb ankle weights. By 2X you mean up and down i think hope not go up twice! i wouldn't mind the weight but i just rolled my foot yesterday and its all swollen now. I practiced the stairs but it was only with approx 60 lbs. Any ideas what makes a good substitute for the 85 lbs hose?

alwaysremember

Postby alwaysremember » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 pm

[quote=""desimunda""]that is a significant amount of weight. recruit firefighter website lists 4lb ankle weights. By 2X you mean up and down i think hope not go up twice! i wouldn't mind the weight but i just rolled my foot yesterday and its all swollen now. I practiced the stairs but it was only with approx 60 lbs. Any ideas what makes a good substitute for the 85 lbs hose?[/quote]

Up, then down, then up, then down (thats what he means by x2).

When I was training for it, I took a spare tire (roughly 15") and completely enclosed it with duct tape leaving an opening. Then I filled it with concrete I bought from home depot (Just one bag mixed with water). Then closed the opening with more duct tape. It worked out to be very close in weight, plus I was able to throw it over my shoulder like a pack of hose. Worked very well for my purposes. Good luck to you bro. That portion of the York was easily the most difficult to me. You feel great when you're done though.
Everyone goes home.

desimunda

Postby desimunda » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:28 am

thats a great idea with the tire. So it is up and down twice eh...back to back or is there a break in between?

alwaysremember

Postby alwaysremember » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:20 am

[quote=""desimunda""]thats a great idea with the tire. So it is up and down twice eh...back to back or is there a break in between?[/quote]

No break. Just keep a steady pace, take your time on the way up and make up the lost time on the way down.
Everyone goes home.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:21 pm

You can use the railing for assistance.

And I believe they will tell you to hurry up if you're encroaching upon the time limit or your pace is projected to be too slow.

Allin11

York Hose Carry / Stair climb

Postby Allin11 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 am

I completed this yesterday.
You are given approximately 15 mins after your v02 max Treadmill Test to recover before completing the job specific tasks.

You start out with Claustrophobia, then Acrophobia. Both allow you to have more recovery time as they are not meant to be physically challenging just meant to test a persons fears.

From there you are prompted to put on a 40 lb weighted vest and 4 lb ankle weights = 48 lbs.

The Hose Carry / Stair Climb is next. You are given an explanation and then time starts once you lift the folded hoseline which weights 85 lbs. Get it comfortably positioned and then keep a steady pace throughout. You may use handrails. You must complete 2 climbs. Up, Down, Up Down.

My advice is to complete a powerful / faster first climb and descent which gives you PLENTY of time for the second climb / descent.

After you have completed this you head to the Rope Pull, hose advance, Ladder lift, victim Drag and Forced entry. Any questions concerning any of these let me know! Glad to help and offer my advice. i have completed York now 3 times.

Best of luck!!

desimunda

Postby desimunda » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:54 am

thanks Allin

Claustrophobia: did you have to count washers pretty simple I guess just fell the start of the bolt and count washers?

Acrophobia: what is the couple/uncouple is it threaded or other type of fitting?

for the stairs the email i got said "carry on the shoulder an 85 lb bundle of hose and nozzle up and down flights of stairs four times, for a total height of 50 ft". I take it this will probably be easier.

Did the dummy have handles on the head or did u have to grab under his arms?

The ladder is to be removed from brackets put down on ground and back up?

For forced entry what size sledge was used?

thanks again

desimunda

having done the test I can answer these questions now for anybody else...

Postby desimunda » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 am

[quote=""desimunda""]thanks Allin

Claustrophobia: did you have to count washers pretty simple I guess just fell the start of the bolt and count washers?

very simple can use both hands if needed.

Acrophobia: what is the couple/uncouple is it threaded or other type of fitting?

it was a threaded fitting with string tied to it so it didn't fall down

for the stairs the email i got said "carry on the shoulder an 85 lb bundle of hose and nozzle up and down flights of stairs four times, for a total height of 50 ft". I take it this will probably be easier.

It was up and down four times for our test

Did the dummy have handles on the head or did u have to grab under his arms?

Handles on the head of the dummy

The ladder is to be removed from brackets put down on ground and back up?
touch ground and back up on hooks

For forced entry what size sledge was used?
12lb hammer. Tire had a 40lb ish weight on it and had to move it approx a foot.

thanks again[/quote]

having done the test I can answer these questions now for anybody else...