Supplements. Use em or lose em ?

Well my wife says I should try water aerobics...
infernobuster

Supplements. Use em or lose em ?

Postby infernobuster » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 am

This came up in a discussion at the fire hall recently.

Some guys including myself supplement, while a few guys want nothing to do with them.

We were having a benefits over disadvantages of taking or not taking supplements.

Thought id open it up for discussion here. ( and by supplements anything that can be bought legally here in Ontario)
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

JayG

Postby JayG » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Very few supplements have any real scientific backing for any benefits beyond what a diet high in fruits and vegetables and varied in other food groups can offer.

Having said that, if you are a person who has a hard time eating a varied high fruit and vegetable diet you may be missing out on key nutrients for normal functioning in which case a multi MIGHT be beneficial.

Fish oil has had mixed results in the literature whereas whole fish has proven beneficial consistently. Again, if you never eat fish, taking fish oil MAY be beneficial but eating whole fish is always superior.

Any vitamin or mineral supplement should really only need to be used if you have had blood plasma concentrations assessed by a medical professional and you have been deemed deficient somewhere. Your omega 3-6 ratio should also be measured if you are concerned and an appropriate response can be taken if out of whack.

Bottom line is that unless you have had your vitamin and mineral status medically assessed and know where (if at all) you are deficient, supplements are at best a waste of money and at worst potentially building up to dangerous levels from over exposure. Vitamin A overdose is a serious concern in people who supplement and also eat high vitamin A animal products like liver, as an example.

I don't think any blanket statements can be made for anybody and every single person needs to tailor their program to their very specific needs. Therefore I don't think anybody is right or wrong in deciding to take or not take supplements and without knowing the specifics of each individual you guys are most likely arguing about nonsense (no offense).

OSMFF

Postby OSMFF » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Are we talking more along the lines here of a Whey Protein shake following a workout?? I am all for it.... just ready the ingredients on the bucket and choose wisely.

YoungFire

Postby YoungFire » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Certain supplements have strong medical studies showing they are useful. Others not so much.

The strong ones are (When I say strong I mean stronger arguments all supplements have their Nay Sayers.) :
Creatine http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/su ... t/creatine

BCAA with leucine and Glutamine being the most important of amino acids http://www.hchs.edu/literature/BCAA.pdf

Coffee! Not caffeine but coffee seems to have many a benefits to working out. It is my preworkout blend of choice! A good pre workout blend is a dark roast because dark roast's have less caffeine then light blends. Coffee is an aid in fat management and helps with mental awareness. Mct oil is also a great addition to coffee to add energy.

The weak ones are:
Beta Alanine.
Protein powder.
Waxy Maize

The fancier the bottle the more likely it is to be BS. I say use them but don't go crazy. The guys who spend 400 dollars a month on supps are usually not the most impressive at the gym or the box :) . Nothing can account for good diet and training.

$100 a month should get you everything you need.

Another thing to note. Fruit is not necessarily a good thing to have lots of in your diet. Your veggie intake should out number your fruit intake at least 3 to 1. Here's a good article explaining the issues with fruit. http://everydaypaleo.com/the-skinny-on-fruit/

Hopefully that helps!

FFMedic87

Postby FFMedic87 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:04 pm

I personally stick with the basic, scientifically proven supplements:

Creatine (Creapure monohydrate)
Whey protein isolates
Multivitamin

GHFD16

Postby GHFD16 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 am

YoungFire has put a lot of good info forward on this topic. My post is opinion based, as I don't have the scientific data to reference or support my statements. This is a topic that can fill textbooks, so I’ll keep my story short.

Personally, I have seen the results of supplementation and diet integration successfully meshed. It pretty much boils down to what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to lose weight and trim body fat, you need a completely different intake compared to someone that wants to increase muscle size. I have had great advice on diet and supplements to use for my routine. I am still adding and removing as I progress, but I have noticed quite a few variations between companies while finding what was right for me.

One thing I always do is us a reputable company. I find the big dogs have done their own testing to put forward the best quality and make their own blends. Watch for additional ingredients that aren’t always necessary. For example, most protein supplements have 25grams of protein per serving. Some have a serving size of 32grams, while others are 50+grams. That difference is the extras in their blend that you need to decide if you need or don't need for your goals. That extra is often calories you may/may not need.

As was stated by someone earlier, watch your costs. I can typically go a month for about $100. I usually order online, partially because I am rural and also because it can cut costs. I like to support local businesses as much as possible, but small stores don’t always carry what you want.

I can’t attribute my personal success to supplements alone, as I did a complete diet reconstruction at the same time. I do feel that they help significantly for my continued progression, and I will add and subtract as my goals change. In the last 6 months, I have dropped 28lbs, and reduced body fat by 7%. Major diet changes were to cut out gluten and corn products, personal choices.

Whats in my cupboard?
Dymatize- Elite Whey Protein Isolate (chocolate mint)
-GABA (amino acid)
-XPand2 (pre-workout)
Optimum-Nutrition- Amino Energy (pre/post workout)
-Micronized Creatine
Scivation –Xtend (intra-workout)