CPAT Defeat

Well my wife says I should try water aerobics...
Belisama

CPAT Defeat

Postby Belisama » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 am

I hit a wall and I'm picking myself back up and asking for help....

I failed my CPAT in January. Stage 3 and the CPAT is the only thing that is holding me back from potentially being successful in recruitment. I think I need to get strong in a hurry and smoke that CPAT sooner rather than later. Who knows when the next recruitment comes up - I HAVE to be ready.

I've been told I need to be doing crossfit and/or HIIT. I'm an endurance runner, but that CPAT could care less about how many kilometres I can run. It ate me for breakfast. It was like I hit a wall on the dummy drag and I had nothing left for the pike pole. Though I'm certain the hose pull and sledgehammer greatly contributed to my failure. I ran out of time, but I suffered through the whole thing. Yes, I am female and my upper body strength and muscular stamina is my biggest challenge.

The next time that CPAT and I meet, I want to smoke it. I think I need help with this goal.

Any connections out in Durham Region or suggestions regarding whether I should invest my time and money in a crossfit gym or at home with P90X or just in the backyard dragging heavy stuff across the lawn - anything would be helpful. Please feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks so much.

ex_re

Depends

Postby ex_re » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:00 am

Do you want brutal honesty or the usual firehall.com claptrap about chasing your dream... etc etc...

Belisama

Postby Belisama » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:36 am

The truth will set me free?

I know how to push myself hard. I just don't want to invest my time and money in the wrong place. Looking for direction. Thanks for at least responding ex_re.

N2013

Postby N2013 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:56 am

Go to crossfit.com, find a couple boxes in your area, research them all and find out which one is the best fit for you. Be prepared to drop $100-200 a month for fees but you're paying for coaching, equipment use, and accountability. If you go ahead and sign up for a year, I garuntee you will have a harder time quitting that, than if you bought P90X or just did your own thing. Crossfit is the best program that replicates our job. Make the investment in yourself and career. Don't and the likelihood you getting a career job is slim to none.
I know of a few women out here working in BC as a career FF's and they all do Crossfit. Do it.

Belisama

Postby Belisama » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:09 pm

[quote=""N2013""]Go to crossfit.com, find a couple boxes in your area, research them all and find out which one is the best fit for you. Be prepared to drop $100-200 a month for fees but you're paying for coaching, equipment use, and accountability. If you go ahead and sign up for a year, I garuntee you will have a harder time quitting that, than if you bought P90X or just did your own thing. Crossfit is the best program that replicates our job. Make the investment in yourself and career. Don't and the likelihood you getting a career job is slim to none.
I know of a few women out here working in BC as a career FF's and they all do Crossfit. Do it.[/quote]

Thank you! I do want to invest in myself and my career and reach my physical potential. I need that accountability piece. I definitely push harder with others around me as well. I appreciate your guidance.

ex_re

Postby ex_re » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:38 pm

The brutal honesty is that as a test, the CPAT is a bare minimum joke, and so if you struggled with it, you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Crossfit is a great start.

Belisama

Postby Belisama » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:04 pm

[quote=""ex_re""]The brutal honesty is that as a test, the CPAT is a bare minimum joke, and so if you struggled with it, you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Crossfit is a great start.[/quote]

Thank you for your honest input. Neither of us know my potential at this point. So maybe it will take me forever or maybe it won't. The "work ahead" of me is all perspective: discipline, consistency, drive and genetics can do a lot if you're training the right way - hence the point of my post. I'm seeking information about training the best way possible for this job (starting with the beloved CPAT) because I don't have that knowledge base as an endurance athlete. It's logical to ask a community of firefighters what worked for them as they have all been through it.

Mitts14

Postby Mitts14 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:13 pm

You might want to look into a personal trainer if you have the budget (if you don't, try Kijiji). Show them the CPAT test, have them watch a few YouTube videos of people doing it and see if they can get a program together for you. One month of CrossFit fees would probably buy you a gym membership and a few trainer sessions. The advantage over CrossFit would be the specific attention to getting better at the events that held you back plus a trainer should be able to offer insight on form and technique for some of the tasks. If you can find a firefighter who is also a personal trainer on the side that might be your jackpot. Coincidentally I would estimate that a large percentage of CrossFit gyms employee fire fighters that would be happy to help you train for the CPAT for an hourly wage.

Good luck

Belisama

Postby Belisama » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Thank you so much Mitts14 for taking the time to respond. Your response is both encouraging and helpful. I appreciate it.

mmcleodk

Postby mmcleodk » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:21 am

I would agree with Mitts14, crossfit is a good general conditioning program, but if you're looking for something more targeted/specific for the energy demands of the CPAT/firefighting then finding a personal trainer with the skillset to focus on those particular energy systems would be more beneficial. Do your research though, not all personal trainers are created equal ;)