CPAT Defeat

Well my wife says I should try water aerobics...
Belisama

Postby Belisama » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 pm

[quote=""mmcleodk""]I would agree with Mitts14, crossfit is a good general conditioning program, but if you're looking for something more targeted/specific for the energy demands of the CPAT/firefighting then finding a personal trainer with the skillset to focus on those particular energy systems would be more beneficial. Do your research though, not all personal trainers are created equal ;) [/quote]

Thank you - that is good advice!

KLew04

Postby KLew04 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Check out rosstraining.com, buy his Never Gymless or Infinite Intensity books, you'll never look back. Crossfit is a great start, but you'll eventually need to tailor your training to your strengths/weaknesses. Ross's stuff is no nonsense, it is geared towards fighters but easily adaptable towards firefighting.

Belisama

Postby Belisama » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Thank you, KLew04! I will check out rosstraining.com for sure. I appreciate your help.

[quote=""KLew04""]Check out rosstraining.com, buy his Never Gymless or Infinite Intensity books, you'll never look back. Crossfit is a great start, but you'll eventually need to tailor your training to your strengths/weaknesses. Ross's stuff is no nonsense, it is geared towards fighters but easily adaptable towards firefighting.[/quote]

Bigolhead

Postby Bigolhead » Fri May 08, 2015 11:41 pm

I mean this in the nicest way possible... Find another career path. If you can't pass the CPAT easily on the first try you are putting others at risk. You could kill someone or cause them serious injury

hmckay91

Postby hmckay91 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:19 am

OP

As I stated in another thread the Canditate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) was designed as "a fair and valid evaluation tool to assist in the selection of fire fighters, and to ensure that all fire fighter candidates possess the physical ability to complete critical tasks effectively and safely."

It is true that for anyone with average fitness, coordination, dexterity, and strength, the test is easily accomplished well within the benchmark time (not surprisingly reasonably athletic people do fine at this).

So having said that if your having issues with one or two tasks, post those tasks and your issues so others may help. If its overall problems with each task and completing the course in general then perhaps a sober second evaluation of aspirations and capabilities is needed.
There's never time to do it right but always time to do it over.

hmckay91

Postby hmckay91 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:27 am

Bigolhead,

I mean this in the nicest way possible,

I get you want to contribute (and your welcome to your opinion) but you need to get over the pre-service propaganda...
There's never time to do it right but always time to do it over.

Bigolhead

Postby Bigolhead » Mon May 11, 2015 8:34 pm

[quote=""hmckay91""]Bigolhead,

I mean this in the nicest way possible,

I get you want to contribute (and your welcome to your opinion) but you need to get over the pre-service propaganda...[/quote]

It's not propaganda. Striving to be mediocre is not right. Allowing below mediocre is dangerous.

That said I like what you had to say and the way you said it so nice job.

Belisama

Postby Belisama » Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 pm

[quote=""Bigolhead""]It's not propaganda. Striving to be mediocre is not right. Allowing below mediocre is dangerous.

That said I like what you had to say and the way you said it so nice job.[/quote]

Bigolhead, if that's how you deal with people who are faced with roadblocks in obtaining their goals, then YOU need to consider a different career path. Undoubtedly, you will face challenges in various aspects of your life and career. I hope you have supportive people, even if they are strangers, to encourage you. Unlike your personality, I can greatly improve on my physical weaknesses. Best of luck to you.

Bigolhead

Postby Bigolhead » Tue May 19, 2015 4:30 pm

[quote=""Belisama""]Bigolhead, if that's how you deal with people who are faced with roadblocks in obtaining their goals, then YOU need to consider a different career path. Undoubtedly, you will face challenges in various aspects of your life and career. I hope you have supportive people, even if they are strangers, to encourage you. Unlike your personality, I can greatly improve on my physical weaknesses. Best of luck to you.[/quote]

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. You don't know me and it's tough for you to judge my personality... Just as I don't know you and it is hard for me to judge your true physical ability.

What I said may have been blunt but if you are truly having difficulty with the CPAT you need to take a long hard look in the mirror. This isn't about you... Many people will rely on you and it is your responsibility to be 100 physically capable.

Sorry if it's tough to hear but nobody is perfect and nobody is right for every job. I'm certainly not

good luck

GuitarKing

Postby GuitarKing » Thu May 21, 2015 10:13 am

I think one thing to keep in mind, is that physical fitness is something which can quite (easily?) be obtained through dedication, hard work and perseverance.

I'll use myself as an example. If we had spoken last year, I never in my most wild dreams would have run a Half Marathon. 1 year later, I've run 3, and am looking into full marathon training.

If you honestly put your mind to it, "do the time" faithfully in the gym, and follow strict proper nutrition, I do not see why the majority of people couldn't become CPAT ready within 12 months. So, I wouldn't say "look into a different career" so much as "hit the gym" and do what it takes to become ready.

(FULL Disclosure, I have NOT taken the CPAT test yet).
Last edited by GuitarKing on Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ambition is the path to success, persistence is the vehicle you arrive in."
— William Eardley IV