Quick question, Short answer? I hope

Union and union related discussion.
fyrball

Quick question, Short answer? I hope

Postby fyrball » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Real quick, to the point question: Does the IAFF represent Paid on Call firefighters in a composite fire department or would they only represent the full time staff?

braidjansen

Postby braidjansen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Just full time staff. POC or volunteer fire fighters (often the same thing in the province of Ontario) in a composite department are generally viewed as being in competition with full time fire fighters for jobs so the IAFF tends to work towards minimizing their role in a composite department as quickly as possible and replacing them with new full time fire fighters. Of course you could argue that the volunteer fire fighters will benefit as more of them are able to apply for full time positions when the come available.

fyrball

Postby fyrball » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 pm

now what if the POCs are considered "part time" staff? are there part time firefighters that are represented by the IAFF?

mckee338

Postby mckee338 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

Currently the IAFF constitution only allows for representation of fulltime firefighters.

I think the RWDSU has organized some paid on call departments in Manitoba and Ontario.

PM for info.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm

[quote=""fyrball""]Real quick, to the point question: Does the IAFF represent Paid on Call firefighters in a composite fire department or would they only represent the full time staff?[/quote]

Quick answer....NO
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 pm

[quote=""dentedhead""]Quick answer....NO[/quote]
I worked for a composite Fire Department as a IAFF career firefighter and as Dentedhead says, NO!!
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

WalkerEMT

Postby WalkerEMT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Rockyview County in Alberta has part time POC guys represented in their union.

jasperfire

Because they got screwed....

Postby jasperfire » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:52 pm

[quote=""WalkerEMT""]Rockyview County in Alberta has part time POC guys represented in their union.[/quote]

Sorry to be blunt and change the topic but Rockyview steamrolled the local there.... Hard for the union to represent anybody other than POCs when you get your guys axed by the boatload... Gotta keep those taxes low (and keep the citizens in the dark about how much their service levels have been cut)!

Not trying to stir the pot but it's hard to hear about a local losing so many good guys.

Once again I have to say that I wish all the guys on the floor there good luck!