Sudbury Vollies pushing for union!!!

Union and union related discussion.
MLFHNTR

Sudbury Vollies pushing for union!!!

Postby MLFHNTR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:27 am

Meeting held last night by Volly brass to push to unionize...this should be good...Stay tuned.

DMURPH

Postby DMURPH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm

A local FD in my area recently did this. The union dues are basically what they make in a year. Did it because of a bad relationship with council. Did not win them any fans. FYI.

braidjansen

Union for Vollies

Postby braidjansen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

I think that all too often in composite departments Vollies feel squeezed between management and council who are trying to cut costs on one side, and on the other an IAFF local that is trying to minimize the role of Volunteers so as to increase the number of full time firefighters in the bargaining unit. Turning to a union would appear to be a logical step...pay is only rarely an issue...concerns surrounding control of the workplace are the usual issues on which decisions regarding a volunteer union revolve. There was briefly talk of it in my hall. The talk stopped when there was a change in management and the relationship with our full timers improved.

teexfire

Postby teexfire » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Why are the Sudbury vollys pushing so hard for a union again?
Seems to me they voted on one in the past and it was squashed..(RWDSU if Im not mistaken)

MLFHNTR

Postby MLFHNTR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

[quote=""teexfire""]Why are the Sudbury vollys pushing so hard for a union again?
Seems to me they voted on one in the past and it was squashed..(RWDSU if Im not mistaken)[/quote]

Well, certain volunteer district chiefs and captains have started calling people at home to come and sign a membership card. The reason I have been told they are pushing is because everytime they ask for something that the careers receive they are told no and the only reason the career guys get it is because it's in their collective agreement. So by unionizing the volunteers they to will build a collective agreement. I guess we will see. All I see right now is that the volunteers are building a wall between volunteers and career.

mrflannery

Postby mrflannery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Can someone explain this to me. How do walls go up between full and part time guys due to this issue. Should the part time guys not have the exact same equipment as fulltime guys? Do they not face the same dangers in fires or out on the highway?

MLFHNTR

Voting today

Postby MLFHNTR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 am

Today is the day. For you Sudbury Vollies, get up get out and vote "NO". I am a union advocat (not activist) I do beleive unions do good for the most part. But I don't feel they need to represent a volunteer group (IMO). The only reason this is moving ahead a bit more this time is that the officers that represent the volunteers are pushing and filling all the newbies with garbage. And like most we look up to and want to support our officers. I guess we will see.

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Outsider looking in but the only winner i can see coming out of this is the union with all the dues they are gonna collect. Don't like your current situation then quit, it's not like its your job that pays the bills. POC Firefighters are great for small to mid size cities. What they do is invaluable. If you feel unappreciated quit or threaten too. Then they will see just how vital you are to the city......just my thoughts....
Last edited by nocomment on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gids88

Ridiculous

Postby gids88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 am

Not an outsider looking in, in fact, I'm right in the middle of it! Some of us volunteers have a great realtionship with the career side and understand the difference. The word volunteer, means volunteer, we volunteer our time when we can in our community to provide the citizens the essential services that they pay taxes for. Personally, I have enjoyed being a volunteer since I started and yes, we have all the same equipment as the career side. Some may be a little dated but still perform the functions they are supposed to do. That being said, the career side handles a much larger volume of calls and the equipment is used that much more, hence being replaced sooner and having newer equipment. Also, emergency services is only funded with a certain amount of money for capital expenditures and it isn't that simple to replace a pumper, rescue or bush truck. These vehicles are very expensive and it has been speculated that the fire service has had pressure from above on reducing some of the vehicles used. Not mandatory vehicles but possibly other fire service vehicles.

As far as training goes, our training division is tremendously under staffed although two new positions have recently been approved by council which is good news! Our training division does a great job of giving training and if you don't think its enough, get some guys together, go to the hall and do some training, hence the word "volunteer".

Anyways, its too bad that it has come to this and it will create a divide between the volunteers and the career side. The last thing a fire service needs as a whole. The next few months will be very interesting for Greater Sudbury's Fire Service, lets hope that we can all move forward and make it a better service for our community!

mrflannery

Postby mrflannery » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 am

First of all…POC firefighters on composite depts are not volunteers. Do you get paid for training and emergency responses? If so, you are an employee. I am on a composite dept in a city of about 40,000. We get paid for all calls and training. We have to sign the employee code of conduct and are issued ID cards with the municipal emblem on them. Our badges are identical to the fulltime guys’ badges. We are required, as a condition of employment, to attain OFM certification, no exceptions.
On the other hand, we get no benefits, are issued second/third hand equipment and uniforms, and have no formal mechanism to handle any grievances we may have. Most guys are afraid to raise issues because they are afraid of getting tagged as a boat rocker, and hurting their career prospects, so they keep their mouths shut. Having a union will give these guys a voice.
As far as the guy above who says if you aren’t getting enough training go to the station on your own for free…do you think fulltime guys would do that? Of course not. If you are taking time away from your family to keep your skills up, then you should be paid accordingly. The IAFF would throw a shit fit if their members were asked to come into work on their own time for free, would they not?
There are 300 plus POCs in Sudbury, which is about what you would find in a good sized fulltime municipal dept. These guys are dedicated and professional. They risk their health and safety the same as any IAFF member does, and they deserve representation