Sudbury Vollies pushing for union!!!

Union and union related discussion.
infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 am

This may set a new trend whatever the outcome of this may be.

If this gets pushed through, one thing is for sure whatever money you get now will go towards union dues instead of into your pockets.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]. Most guys are afraid to raise issues because they are afraid of getting tagged as a boat rocker, and hurting their career prospects, so they keep their mouths shut. Having a union will give these guys a voice.
[/quote]
So the poor sucker who gets voted union president in the new "boat Rocker".....Sorry guys seen and heard of Vollies unionizing for years. Many Many issues are gonna come along that you will not be ready for, but having said that!! Good Luck Battling the IAFF for better equipment etc... you think you've created a divide now :rolleyes: just wait
But at least the union gets all the new dues, to pay for their time share in Cabo.
Last edited by nocomment on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrflannery

Postby mrflannery » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Again, can someone explain exactly how this issue will set up a conflict between the part timers and the fulltimers? Correct me if I am wrong, but did the IAFF not come about as a result of the shitty treatment firefighters were getting at the hands of their employers? Wasn’t the point of a Union to force the municipality to take firefighters concerns seriously?
I see this as the same thing. These guys perform the same job with the same inherent risks, yet somehow they are treated as second class when it comes to equipment and training.
I think the real underlying issue may be the IAFFs fear of competition. If these part time guys can do the same job as fulltime guys, and for a lot less money…then you know what conclusion the municipal bean counters are going to draw come budget time.
As far as the president becoming the new boat rocker…you do realize that you aren’t forced into the position, right? Usually an older guy, well past trying to get on fulltime, will put his name in for the job. That way he has nothing to fear if he pisses off the Chief or fulltime union.
Hopefully more composite departments go this route. We risk our lives the same as the fulltime guys, so why not equal representation?

BTW…the IAFF doesn’t decide equipment or funding allocation…the municipality does

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]BTW…the IAFF doesn’t decide equipment or funding allocation…the municipality does[/quote]

Really, we can't pick our own rigs????? no shit sherlock but thanks for the update.. Tell ya what start your union, youll have the IAFF on one side and the christians alliance against abused alter boys on the other and i\ll bet you'll live happily together in one happy firehouse. Can't wait to see how much better things get. Please please please keep us updated. Fools.....
Last edited by nocomment on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrflannery

Postby mrflannery » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Actually I'll bet what you get will look something like this

Firehouse A -fulltime IAFF guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community
Firehouse B -parttime CLAC guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community

Guess what happens when taxpayers find out the cost difference between the two!

Leafs Fan

Postby Leafs Fan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:34 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]Actually I'll bet what you get will look something like this

Firehouse A -fulltime IAFF guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community
Firehouse B -parttime CLAC guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community

Guess what happens when taxpayers find out the cost difference between the two![/quote]

Opening a huge can of worms here,, but, there is a difference in the level of service provided. You get what you pay for. In a fulltime dept you usually get 4 trucks and more than 10 firefighters on scene (ready to go) in around 4 - 6 minutes of dispatch. I know you are going to say that your Paid on call dept can do that too, but i doubt it 90% of the time.
We do the same job , but we dont do it the same. So you know, i have done both for many years and I know of what i speak. Do you ?

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:10 pm

A city with top notch equipment and training for full time guys and POC's!! Lol.... Are your water fountains made of gold too?

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:13 pm

And easy on the "well see what the taxpayers think when they see the fifference( which won't happen anyways" that's a tree you don't want to go barking up. I see your last statement as a direct shot at IAFF Jobs in your area. I sure hope nobody know'syour real name. I would tread lightly dude. Your a part time employee you could be gone with the stroke if a pen.
Last edited by nocomment on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

someday

Postby someday » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm

what happens if a bunch of people go into the part timers REGULAR fulltime jobs and offer to to the same job for a lot less money?????

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Someday, well said.