Sudbury Vollies pushing for union!!!

Union and union related discussion.
nocomment

Postby nocomment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 pm

My last comment. I sure hope someone on here knows this anti union assface and is kind enough on the next practice night to wander over to the IAFF side and fill them in on his agenda of having the public see how great they are and you IAFF Guys with kids, mortgages, bills can all go F off cuz Johnny from the CLC thinks he's better and can do it for half price!!! Gonna be lots of basements but hey we're cheaper pick us scraps!!!!
Last edited by nocomment on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:54 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]Actually I'll bet what you get will look something like this

Firehouse A -fulltime IAFF guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community
Firehouse B -parttime CLAC guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community

Guess what happens when taxpayers find out the cost difference between the two![/quote]

Oh yes thats just how it will go then you will have fortnightly kumbya sessions and do yoga together...good luck with that scooter
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

gids88

Postby gids88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]Again, can someone explain exactly how this issue will set up a conflict between the part timers and the fulltimers? Correct me if I am wrong, but did the IAFF not come about as a result of the shitty treatment firefighters were getting at the hands of their employers? Wasn’t the point of a Union to force the municipality to take firefighters concerns seriously?
I see this as the same thing. These guys perform the same job with the same inherent risks, yet somehow they are treated as second class when it comes to equipment and training.
I think the real underlying issue may be the IAFFs fear of competition. If these part time guys can do the same job as fulltime guys, and for a lot less money…then you know what conclusion the municipal bean counters are going to draw come budget time.
As far as the president becoming the new boat rocker…you do realize that you aren’t forced into the position, right? Usually an older guy, well past trying to get on fulltime, will put his name in for the job. That way he has nothing to fear if he pisses off the Chief or fulltime union.
Hopefully more composite departments go this route. We risk our lives the same as the fulltime guys, so why not equal representation?

BTW…the IAFF doesn’t decide equipment or funding allocation…the municipality does[/quote]

You are absolutely right mrflannery, the municipality does decide on the funding allocation, after it comes from the feds and after it comes from the province!

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Benefits for POC get off the fuckin pipe chooch.

Start acting like professionals AWAY from the job.

Great optics for the community VOLUNTEER FFs who are actually paid,wanting benefits a union etc.The taxpayers have FT in their sights right now so please do keep us informed.

CLACs agenda is to nothing more than separate you from your "stipend"

Dentedhead

Fireguy999

Postby Fireguy999 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:12 pm

[quote=""someday""]what happens if a bunch of people go into the part timers REGULAR fulltime jobs and offer to to the same job for a lot less money?????[/quote]

I've been around awhile, seen a lot of things here on this site and on the job. I've been paid/call and career so I know both sides. Many of the paid/call or volunteer members are great guys with successful careers. My bet is that the people making comments about possibly replacing full time union members on this site are those who haven't achieved the sort of success career wise they had hoped. This makes me feel ashamed for you and embarrassed that you would hope someone would favor your services simply because you would work for next to nothing. That's like saying hire me, I'm not the best but I'm cheaper than that person.

Maybe a union would help you, I doubt that it will. My gut feeling is that "some" of you are simply total idiots who are more concerned with flashing a badge, pager, and now want to try to say to everyone that you are union firefighters.

DMURPH

Postby DMURPH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Bottom line, if you get a t-4 from your municipality, you technically are not a "volunteer", you are a part time employee. Most "volunteer" FFs get from 17 to 23 bucks an hour to do the job. Not including honorariums. Unless you live way up north in Ontario where you may be on a point system( points towards municipal taxes etc.). Ontario municipal pay-equity is now in the works and maybe the non-career union pushers should wait to see what happens. This is assuming all the noise is about pay. If it is about hurt feelings find another hobby.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 pm

[quote=""DMURPH""]Bottom line, if you get a t-4 from your municipality, you technically are not a "volunteer", you are a part time employee. Most "volunteer" FFs get from 17 to 23 bucks an hour to do the job. Not including honorariums. Unless you live way up north in Ontario where you may be on a point system( points towards municipal taxes etc.). Ontario municipal pay-equity is now in the works and maybe the non-career union pushers should wait to see what happens. This is assuming all the noise is about pay. If it is about hurt feelings find another hobby.[/quote]

Excellent reply!

Last thing I need is a union (no offense here to any full time union due payer) taking that little extra to offer me some if any insentive that I am already offered by my Dept.

BTW, I receive a stipend, training and benefits... That's more than I've ever received than from some of my previous jobs!
How the hell did I end up here?????

DMURPH

Postby DMURPH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Nice to see some common sense.

3rdGen

Postby 3rdGen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 am

[quote=""mrflannery""]Actually I'll bet what you get will look something like this

Firehouse A -fulltime IAFF guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community
Firehouse B -parttime CLAC guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community

Guess what happens when taxpayers find out the cost difference between the two![/quote]

Firehouse A- fulltime IAFF guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community, gauranteed, with NFPA response time

Firehouse B- parttime CLAC guys...top notch gear and training, providing excellent service to their community when enough people show up, and 15 minutes after the IAFF guys have the fire out.

Not a slight on gear or ability, but you get what you pay for. If you want a fire truck to show up in 6 minutes you pay for that. if you want one in 20, you pay less but you still pay.
6 minutes: save your dog/cat/most photos/ house,
20 minutes: save the foundation??

Hopefully when you organize as CLAC you can work together to better your organization and realize faster response times are key to successful emergency response outcomes. Maybe you can work on ensuring CLAC members fill IAFF jobs when available? Maybe you can work together on shifting towards less CLAC and more IAFF... for the good of the comunity (yes at a higher cost, but also a lower cost... more money now, less destruction and loss later).

Interesting dynamic. I just hope the Career haters open their eyes to the benefit of faster and guaranteed response. Makes me a little sick to think there are firefighters out there that can't admit the major shortcoming to a POC or Volunteer model.......
Last edited by 3rdGen on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: their should have been their.... tisk
"You can't be wrong for doing the right thing"

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:36 am

I took a union day today,going up to the hospital to see if I cant get the coffin dodgers who volunteer there to unionize.I will try to get by the St John Ambulance house later and get them on board too.I am not sure if I can get the therapy dogs in or not.

Dentedhead