Volunteer Fire Station Sirens?

General volunteer firefighting discussion.
wiifire8

Volunteer Fire Station Sirens?

Postby wiifire8 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I am curious to see how many fire departments still use a fire siren or air raid siren to alert volunteer firefighters to calls?

I am a siren enthusiast and love seeing how many sirens are still being used and what types they are. I keep track of all siren locations and if they still use them or not. I also collect these types of sirens and restore them for my collection and also to try to relocate them to another citys/towns, either for fire or even weather warning.

So I'm wondering if you guys could tell me if you know any stations that still have a fire siren, if they still use it or not, the city/town they are in and the rough location. Also if you guys know of any old air raid siren locations or any sirens in storage that aren’t used anymore, so that I could possibly see about purchasing or removing them to be able to restore.

This is a big help and greatly appreciated! I look forward to hearing your responses!

Mark
Last edited by wiifire8 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

saskvolunteer

Postby saskvolunteer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:05 pm

We still use a Siren at the fire hall. However, it is not our primary tool for alerting Members. Once we have enough Members at the hall and the trucks are rolling out, we sound the siren for 5 seconds then take off.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 pm

I know a few town's around here still have them and can activate them in the event of an all call or major emergency which may involve total loss of communications. Other towns use them to signal the noon hour (Lunch Time!)
How the hell did I end up here?????

Ruckus

Postby Ruckus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Sperling, Manitoba, has a hall siren. The Firefighters carry Minotaur III-V pagers, but the first firefighter arriving at the hall after a page hits the hall siren as a secondary call for anyone within a mile or so who maybe didn't here their pager for whatever reason.

Hacienda216

Postby Hacienda216 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm

If you look closely, right here in the centre of the picture, just above the tree line there is an antenna and immediately right of it, an air raid siren. I was parked here one day when it went off. After 30 or 40 tension-filled minutes, zee German's never struck, so I climbed out from under my truck, dug up the landmines I'd planted around the rest of my fortifications and noticed the pump and rescue stationed behind those trees were returning to the hall. There was one hell of a storm rolling through the area at the time, so I don't know if they had taken it upon themselves to warn the locals or if the siren fires off everytime they get a call, but it is functional nonetheless. I get the feeling these guys are big on the nostalgia-factor around here.

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 am

We had a siren; I like it because it tells the public that we have an emergency situation and makes them more aware of how often we respond.
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

Buckster

Postby Buckster » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am

Bad enough having people with scanners chasing us around
I may not know karate, but I know KA-razy, and I'm not afraid to use it!

BillyBlazes

Postby BillyBlazes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:32 pm

My home town had air raid sirens posted around in different locations when I was a kid. They have since been taken down.

North_of_60

Postby North_of_60 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm

[quote=""wiifire8""]Hi all,

I am curious to see how many fire departments still use a fire siren or air raid siren to alert volunteer firefighters to calls?

[/quote]

Tsiigehtchic NWT has a siren that is still the primary means to call firefighters. It is activated by a button outside the hall which is the most common way that people report a fire...run to fire hall, hit button, wait until firefighters arrive, tell them where to go. Not the best system, but it works!!!

Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, has a siren but it is rarely used.

Many other northern communties still have sirens and most of the smaller places still use them.

Hudson's Hope, BC has sirens at both of its halls. The Downtown hall sounds the siren every Practice night and the first firefighter to the hall also hits the siren as a backup to the pager system. Firefighters are issued pagers which are the primary means of calling out them out. There are also a set of emergency horns throughout the community with a different sound that are used to signal an evacuation of the town in the event of a breach of the WAC Bennet Dam.

Hope that helps,

North of 60
They drop the ball....We get the call

DFCSmash - "THAT, North_of_60, is the best damned response yet to this thread."

HightowerAcres

Postby HightowerAcres » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm

St. Marys ontario I believe still uses one. It would also sound at noon on Saturdays. I am almost sure one is at the town hall and might have been another one in another part of town.