Green Lights - What's your opinion?

General volunteer firefighting discussion.
mrflannery

Postby mrflannery » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm

But is anything I said FACTUALLY incorrect?

splashover

Postby splashover » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]But is anything I said FACTUALLY incorrect?[/quote]

I would say that suggesting that full timers only hold elevator doors at medical calls is pretty inaccurate. The rest of it was just irrelevant and stupid.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 am

[quote=""mrflannery""]Since this thread has evolved into Vollie bashing…here is something to think about.
The vast majority of big shot IAFF guys don’t even live in the cities that they “protect” Guess where they live? In smaller outlying municipalities that are serviced by POC and volunteer depts. That’s right, you “pros” entrust the physical safety and well- being of your families to a bunch of, I guess, amateurs?
Kind of ironic isn’t it? But I guess the plus side is that you don’t have to spend your tax dollars on wasteful things like fulltime firefighters! Keep that in mind the next time you and the other three guys each making 100k show up on your 700k rig to hold the elevator doors for the paramedics[/quote]

You know, it's pretty funny. I sat with an officer with one of ontario's larger composite fire department's. We got talking about the Composite model fire service and how well it works in their service. One of the things we talked about was the "Pro" firefighter also being 1041 certified in several diciplines and being able to take this training to their volunteer departments in outlining areas of the city. This Officer's thought was to better support outlining departments.

Remember some of these firefighters are just keen to help their communities just like you Mr. Flannery
How the hell did I end up here?????

AxeInHand

Postby AxeInHand » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 am

1) I wish I made $100k

2) My truck costs what it costs (not $700k btw) regardless of whether we respond to med calls or not, or how many hours I spend on it.

3) I have done a lot more at med calls in just the last year of full-time work arriving before the medics than the entire time as POC getting cleared on arrival due to the delay in assembly time

4) volunteers are not possible/practical/cost effective in every situation. There comes a point where it costs more to keep calling the entire department of volunteers than it does to staff the station. Plus it is pretty hard to live in an industrial area with no residential. Still needs fire protection though. That and most guys can't afford the house prices in the expensive urban areas they protect. But if you think we should get paid more so we can afford to live in area, I think we can all support you in that endeavour.

So yes, I would say there is some unfactual info there.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am

[quote=""firechick15""]Give your head a shake....full time FF's wear their t-shirts all the time off the job, they have the union sticker on their car and oh yes what about the ones who get the tattoo somewhere that everyone can see. No different from the so called vollies as far as I am concerned.... vollies that have a pager on in a bar or restaurant are responding if the pager goes off....it doesn't mean they are drinking in the bar...give( some of) them the respect that they deserve and trust that they are professional enough to know that they don't respond to calls with any alcohol in their systems... times have changed...it is not the 70's where booze in the halls and responding from the bar were common[/quote]

My head has been shaken many times.Yes there are guys who wear there shirts and have all the fire related gee gaws on FT depts and we tormentthe piss out of them too.We have stickers on our windows for parking at halls.In larger departments.Most of the guys I know dont wear anything to bars saying look at me I am a FF,simply because its just not a great idea Identifying where you work When I attend OPFFA seminars etc you can usually count on boh hands and feet the amount of guys wearing FD stuff which is pretty low out of 4 or 500 guys and gals in attendance

.If a volly is sitting in a restaraunt having a meal and a beer and they respond believe it or not...I do get it.I am refering to seeing a group of guys drinking like its there job wearing all manner of FF regalia with their pagers and radios and looking around when another dept/halls tones drop.If they are going out to get a wobbler on leave the pagers and radios at home.Times may have changed but dont kid yourself there are plenty who still respond with a drink or six in themselves.I saw it whan I worked as a medic and I have been standing having a beer with someone on more that one occasion who have necked their beer rather than leave it when they get a job.I respect the dedication of the men and women who are vollies I respect the fact that they face the same dangers we do what I dont respect are those who try to pass themselves off as something they are not,there is no shame in simply saying I volunteer as ff or on call or whatever.

BTW I am also aware taht there are issues arise in FT depts regarding alcohol use etc.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

someday

Postby someday » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am

[quote=""dentedhead""]My head has been shaken many times.Dentedhead[/quote]

Is that why they call u dentedhead?

on a side note , do the sports freaks who have ML plates and leafs sweaters and hats all play for the leafs ? or do they even play hockey?

Oh , and the green light means the periods over in hockey.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

[quote=""someday""]
on a side note , do the sports freaks who have ML plates and leafs sweaters and hats all play for the leafs ? or do they even play hockey?
[/quote]

Nope. Dudes dressed head to toe in Leafs gear are, most of the time, models of bravery. But they look just a big of twats as dude festooned in the bought-on-the-interwebs FDNY gear. In my humble opinion as a fifteen year volunteer with absolutely zero desire to go career - and as a Leafs fan who doesn't own any of their swag.

Honest to God, if I see one of the shirted clan approaching me in the pub I usually make my excuses and bail. If you need a shirt to portray awesomeness then you have issues. Full stop. I feel the same when I see someone wearing a shirt related to offshore oil and gas, which is my line of work.

Green lights: if you have them, fine. Nova Scotia does not and I do not want them. We have a few dedicated morons hellbent on getting them but, thankfully, their numbers are low and so they spend most of their time trying to re-think how to present the idea in their Facebook group. The list of why I don't want them is long - topping it is, ''if it ain't broke don't fix it''.

Booze: I have volunteered in wet halls and I have volunteered in dry ones. I have yet to see problems with booze in a dry hall. True you might go years without issues in a wet one, but some day you will have them.

I don't understand the career vs volly debate...I have several good friends from both sides of the fence and I have met an equal amount of turds on both sides. I am too happy with my own job to have much of a GAFF about what the career guys do or what they think of me. Then again, I am not advertising my firefighterness with one of those shirts or blinking green lights. And I also don't engage in debates I know little about - like being a career firefighter(!) I've never seen an ounce of disrespect from them because of my volunteer status. In fact, it rarely comes up in conversation except for when we have a fire hit the news, or purchase something, that sort of shit. I would guess my questions of them revolve around the same.

I'd better tread lightly, if some of the vollies see that I have sold them out by not rocking a station shirt in the Legion for darts night I might just have my license plate taken away - wait, I haven't even bothered with that one for a few years. Ho-hum.
Last edited by BTDT on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hacienda216

Postby Hacienda216 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

[quote=""splashover""]...The rest of it was just irrelevant and stupid.[/quote]

"LIKE" button

AxeInHand

Postby AxeInHand » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 am

[quote=""dentedhead""]We have stickers on our windows for parking at halls[/quote]

And here I thought the sticker was to flash the brotherhood - I didn't realise the IAFF has authority to authorise parking on municipal property. My FD doesn't require parking passes, guess I might as well take my sticker down.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

bcfire

Postby bcfire » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 pm

[quote=""mrflannery""]Since this thread has evolved into Vollie bashing…here is something to think about.
The vast majority of big shot IAFF guys don’t even live in the cities that they “protect” Guess where they live? In smaller outlying municipalities that are serviced by POC and volunteer depts. That’s right, you “pros” entrust the physical safety and well- being of your families to a bunch of, I guess, amateurs?
Kind of ironic isn’t it? But I guess the plus side is that you don’t have to spend your tax dollars on wasteful things like fulltime firefighters! Keep that in mind the next time you and the other three guys each making 100k show up on your 700k rig to hold the elevator doors for the paramedics[/quote]

Sorry MRF, I my humble opinion, what you have said is wrong and perhaps a bit disrespectful. Many full timers "volunteer" in their home communities on their days off and risk being labelled "two hatters". Their contributions couldn't be anything but beneficial in my opinion. This only happens where POC/Vollie departments tend to border big city jurisdictions. Eventually, cities grow and absorb vollie jurisdictions, often hiring existing members into their depts. Nothing wrong with this and great for POCs who get on. Reality is that almost any career firefighter sees more action in a couple of months than any volley in a rural setting would see in a year. Where I live, our reality is 99% volunteer so I guess I get my back up when full timers stick their noses in on the volunteer section of this site in order to belittle or berate what they couldn't possibly understand. Rural volunteers depend soley on a small budget and what ever money they can raise in their communities. They need to "show the colors" or risk being forgotten. No one really thinks about an emergency service until they need it. ( How many of you have checked your smoke detectors lately?) I grew up in a city and had never heard of a volunteer firefighter nor ever gave it a thought. I became one when I moved to a small town in a place where there were only volunteers, and if nobody stepped up-then there would be no fire service. Training happens when and where it can and for the most part meets national standards. It will not happen with the frequency of a full time department, nor can it. I was disappointed when a death benefit that was proposed nationally for ALL Canadian firefighters who lost their lives in the line of duty was never brought forward because the ammount awarded would have exceeded what Americans get, and that would have caused problems with Canadian unionized fire departments, because Canadians including volunteers would get more than the departments of their American handlers. Nuff said for now.