Volunteer Probie training

General volunteer firefighting discussion.
Fire425

Volunteer Probie training

Postby Fire425 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello brothers and sisters.

I am a new captain in my station and have recently been given the task of being a mentor to our new probationary Fire fighter. We do our normal training but I want to go beyond that and really challenge my FF to better than previous recruits.

So what I am asking of you brothers and sisters is for ideas. I need multiple ideas for short 5-10 minute training exercises that can challenge him to do on the fly during any down time around the hall. I have a bunch but would like a long list to constantly have new things for him to do.

Thanks for the ideas !!!!! Keep Keen, Do Work!!!

hmckay91

Postby hmckay91 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 am

Consider starting with a format like these...

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/weeklydrills.php

We go over them as a "5 minute trainer" prior to weekly practices and assign them to newer members to lead the discussions.
There's never time to do it right but always time to do it over.

engineco

Postby engineco » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm

One of the biggest things I set out to learn about when I was a probie was the ability to read smoke, Teach them to know whats behind a door before they open the door. Aside from that radio communications and basic knots are both quick things you can run them through.
You Go, We go.

HFD

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Another good idea is running through EMS scenarios. I'm not sure if you guys run them, but if you do, thats a good idea. Also setting up ladders and such, for different reasons, like rescue, or firefighter bailout.