Horrible cook and about to hit the floor.

Discuss the latest prepared disaster by the chief (oops... or was that 'the chef'?). Success stories welcome as well...
WillyWildland

Horrible cook and about to hit the floor.

Postby WillyWildland » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 am

Hey guys I have to admit I have had it lucky for the last 8 years. The wifes cooking is top notch and I have never had to cook. Now that I am on full time, after training I will be required to do the cooking.

I have searched this forum and there is lots of good info on everyone's best dish but I am looking for info on what the usual dishes are around Canadian fire halls......Even Russian fire halls for that matter LOL...

I have 11 weeks to start basic training at the stove.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 am

[quote=""WillyWildland""]Hey guys I have to admit I have had it lucky for the last 8 years. The wifes cooking is top notch and I have never had to cook. Now that I am on full time, after training I will be required to do the cooking.

I have searched this forum and there is lots of good info on everyone's best dish but I am looking for info on what the usual dishes are around Canadian fire halls......Even Russian fire halls for that matter LOL...

I have 11 weeks to start basic training at the stove.[/quote]

Learn your meat food group and how to prepare it.Then start expanding into other food groups.Avoid pre packaged crap.

Ask the wife for help and start cooking more at home.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

Dubya

Postby Dubya » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 am

In my department we don't keep shifts at the hall, so we only cook for special events. I usually bring meatballs to that, but Chili is also a safe bet, as are meat-and-potato standards and anything high in carbs.

Get your wife to teach you her recipe for spaghetti sauce. Then branch out into lasagna and other pasta dishes using that sauce. That oughta get you through the first week. Eat pasta, run fasta!

Next, maybe a beef stew followed by shepherd's pie made from the leftover stew. If you have access to a slow cooker, use that for the stew, and once you know how to use the slow cooker, go for a pot roast. Slow-cooker dishes are more tolerant of sudden abandonment, after all.

As noted above, I'm in a volunteer hall, and most of the guys are startled when you can cook at all. Your mileage may vary!

;)
Last edited by Dubya on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
- R. MacLeod

oldboot

Postby oldboot » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 pm

[quote=""WillyWildland""]Hey guys I have to admit I have had it lucky for the last 8 years. The wifes cooking is top notch and I have never had to cook. Now that I am on full time, after training I will be required to do the cooking.

I have 11 weeks to start basic training at the stove.[/quote]

Past experience has taught me when I cook to cook the crew there favorite.
Which is……..” lots” :D

Meat and potatoes, pasta, and any kind of salad always work. Fish is great if all the crew likes it unfortunately it seems there is always one who doesn’t.

Enjoy....... Kitchen time is the best time in the hall.

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Old Boot wrote:Enjoy....... Kitchen time is the best time in the hall.

You are right, there is no place like the firehall kitchen.

On another note, Tacos and Wraps also go over well. And don't forget those artery clogging Sunday brunches.
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

telesquirt

Postby telesquirt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Chicken Stew

1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup flour
Dash pepper
1 cup chicken bouillon
3/4 cup milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup frozen sweet peas
1 cup fresh baby carrots sliced
1 large boiled potato cut into cubes

Directions:
Melt margarine in 10-inch cast iron dutch oven. Stir in flour and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.

Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Add chicken, peas, carrots, and potato; cook until hot and bubbly.
cook this for about 20-25 minutes.

In the meantime make the biscuit dough:

2 cups all purpose flour
4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
approximately 1 cup milk
Directions:
mix and sift dry ingredients, cut in butter. Add liquid slowly, to make a soft dough, it should be soft but not sticky. Roll the dough out and cut into biscuits.

remove stew from oven after initial cooking time (20-25 min) & place the biscuit dough on top of the stew.
Pop the pot back into the oven UNCOVERED for an additional 20-30 minutes (until golden brown) at 350 degrees . you can brush on some garlic-butter or just butter if you like, for added flavor.

Enjoy.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"This is my swing set, and this is my sandbox. Thats where I saw the Leprechaun........ He tells me to burn things."

---Ralphie Wiggums

Saffa

Postby Saffa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 am

My hat is off to you for stepping up to cook.....I suck at cooking but always try to help out with the preparation...which can be alot as we cook for 11-13 people twice every 24hr shift
most important from my side is never to complain...most important from your side is to provide lot's !!!!!!

Crank

Postby Crank » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:55 pm

Steak, Grilled Asparagus and Roasted Potatoes are always a safe bet and pretty easy.

For the steak, medium-rare has worked well so far. Some guys will want their steak left on a bit longer.. No problem. You can buy a nice steak rub at the grocery store, have someone make it in the hall, or just toss on some oil and spices to add some flavor to the steak.

Asparagus, I like to get a sheet of tinfoil, lay out the asparagus and toss a little bit of oil onto them and then some spices of your choice. Italian, Greek, Rosemary, whatever suits your fancy. Then squeeze a fresh lemon overtop, wrap the tinfoil up over them and toss them onto the grill. They come out pretty nice IMO.

Roasted potatoes are easy too... wash them first.. slice them up and put them into a big mixing bowl. Toss on a bit of oil and again, pick your favorite spices (you really can't go wrong). You can toss on garlic salt/ powder or maybe some cayenne pepper depending on what your crew likes. Throw them in the oven and bake them for 45min - 1hour at 375 - 400 degrees. Don't forget to flip em' halfway through! Here's another tip... If you line the tray with tinfoil and put the potatoes on that, you'll save yourself or the probie a lot of time scrubbing the tray after dinner! Just take the tinfoil off and toss it in the garbage.

You'll find everyone will want to help out and you'll learn recipes from the other guys as you go. Muffins in the morning are always a favorite. Popcorn at night around movie time is good too!

Always remember this rule of thumb. It's better to have a kilogram too much than a gram too little.

:)
Last edited by Crank on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldboot

Postby oldboot » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:10 pm

I have never seen anyone complain about having too much food served up at the table. :D

WillyWildland

Postby WillyWildland » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:18 pm

Just made steak, shrimp, and asparagus for the family yesterday. Thanks for the info guys.