Do you cook each shift??

Discuss the latest prepared disaster by the chief (oops... or was that 'the chef'?). Success stories welcome as well...
Raker

Postby Raker » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:11 pm

I rarely eat with my crew. I really have to watch what I eat or I'll balloon to the size of a house. The rest of the crew will eat alot of take out or smokies on the Bar-B. I'm not one of the lucky ones that can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound. I'll gain 5 pounds just by inhaling the grease that comes off ofwhat they're frying. I eat breakfast at home, pack a lunch and eat dinner with my kids before I get on shift.
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

BillyBlazes

Postby BillyBlazes » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:35 pm

Meal costs for us is the cost of the food divided amongst us. We have a couple of cooks that do all the cooking and everyone else does the kitchen cleanup afterwards. Tradition for us is roast pork dinner on Saturday night and big Sunday breakfast. All other meals are planned in the morning for the rest of the 24 hour tour.
We have almost all 18 of us in on every meal and eat as a group. We have a canteen fund that we pay $7.00 per two week pay period which covers phone, cable T.V., condiments etc.

We have two pop machines, a chocolate bar machine and a display case is which we sell fire department t-shirts, hats, department booklets, toques, sweatshirts etc. The money earned from these go towards station decorating such as framing and hanging photographs, hanging of flags in the apparatus floor, buying stuff from companies such as Our Designs to dress up the station.

Ebon

Postby Ebon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:51 am

We cook lunch on days and supper and usually egg mcmuffins or french toast for breaky on nights. Usually comes out to 5 or 6 bucks a day

85322FF

Eatin, Cost and Issues

Postby 85322FF » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:25 am

I figured I would bump this up, We work 10's and 14's by 3's which isnt typical of most here, the day shifts have gotten pretty much close to impossible to plan meals due to relocations, training etc. we have two engines assigned in the house and often have a truck relocated... logistics change too much so we eat Company lunches or half brown bag and half pick up,, Niteshifts we do try to eat together as much as possible Most shifts have a couple a good cooks, often we rely on other guys to shop before, and even in this manner wth guys who swap and work 36's or 24's you never really know what is what... so its like youdont lke it tough crap.. :)
One thing is we have some interesting Food issues ,, I have one guy who says he is lacto intolerant, but only of anything with tomato's..lol one who got bastric Bipass done and Now cant eat "beloved" garlic.. unless its garlic bread..(DUH) Saturdays are traditionally either a roast beef or porketta Nite, Sunday we Do have Brunch which is the only meal the Tomato intolerant guy cooks, and every week, for last 16 years he still asks me how many eggs I want I say 3 and he puts two on my Plate... lol Saturday day shift
Used to get a piece of beef and Cook it and make "Samiches" when we had 14 guys in the house then with only 8 we went ou and bought em, always gotta break Beef or pork for 2 bucks onna hard roll those days have passed... Generaly speaking we try our best to keep the meal at 5 bucks naturally we have our 7 -10 dollar meals too, and the 3 dollar meals are gone too, but we always prefered to try to average them you know? I am sure that its not as bad in most other places But I can tell you When I go shopping , cook,and I am in the seat as well, there's HELL to pay if the kitchen isnt cleaned, and no assistance is "offered" sometimes the price then jumps to 6 or 7 bucks.. we have guys with "the hates" , "contract issues and lazyness" around the station at times It seems like they want you to whipe they're rearends for em too.. I swear.. it is trying ... LIke I work for the same union, in the same job, get off your .... lol

iamvff

Postby iamvff » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 am

85322FF wrote:I figured I would bump this up, We work 10's and 14's by 3's which isnt typical of most here, the day shifts have gotten pretty much close to impossible to plan meals due to relocations, training etc. we have two engines assigned in the house and often have a truck relocated... logistics change too much so we eat Company lunches or half brown bag and half pick up,, Niteshifts we do try to eat together as much as possible Most shifts have a couple a good cooks, often we rely on other guys to shop before, and even in this manner wth guys who swap and work 36's or 24's you never really know what is what... so its like youdont lke it tough crap.. :)
One thing is we have some interesting Food issues ,, I have one guy who says he is lacto intolerant, but only of anything with tomato's..lol one who got bastric Bipass done and Now cant eat "beloved" garlic.. unless its garlic bread..(DUH) Saturdays are traditionally either a roast beef or porketta Nite, Sunday we Do have Brunch which is the only meal the Tomato intolerant guy cooks, and every week, for last 16 years he still asks me how many eggs I want I say 3 and he puts two on my Plate... lol Saturday day shift
Used to get a piece of beef and Cook it and make "Samiches" when we had 14 guys in the house then with only 8 we went ou and bought em, always gotta break Beef or pork for 2 bucks onna hard roll those days have passed... Generaly speaking we try our best to keep the meal at 5 bucks naturally we have our 7 -10 dollar meals too, and the 3 dollar meals are gone too, but we always prefered to try to average them you know? I am sure that its not as bad in most other places But I can tell you When I go shopping , cook,and I am in the seat as well, there's HELL to pay if the kitchen isnt cleaned, and no assistance is "offered" sometimes the price then jumps to 6 or 7 bucks.. we have guys with "the hates" , "contract issues and lazyness" around the station at times It seems like they want you to whipe they're rearends for em too.. I swear.. it is trying ... LIke I work for the same union, in the same job, get off your .... lol

Ah, nothing like a good chuckle in the morning!! Thanks. Lactose intolerant to tomatoes...thats funny!! BTW...wiping their rear ends is worth at least $15 bucks!!

iamvff
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink...BUT...if you hold it's head under long enough, it has to take a gulp sooner or later!" iamvff - 2010

85322FF

Postby 85322FF » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:50 pm

iamvff wrote:Ah, nothing like a good chuckle in the morning!! Thanks. Lactose intolerant to tomatoes...thats funny!! BTW...wiping their rear ends is worth at least $15 bucks!!
iamvff

ahhh maybe 15 buck for using the smooth bore but otherwise , I'm out.. Glad you could appreciate the
utter rediculous statement as much as I do.. (which I why I tell anyone when the subject comes up..) you couldn't write a book like this crap .. Nobuddy would believe ya..
BUT I am being dead serious when I say he will tell you outright < e's lacto intolerant, .... but only of tomatoes.. and Just lke the other guy who "will DIE if he eats garlic" yet loves to eat italian bread buttered and toasted under the broiler with a lil cheese and Huge chunks of I guess "salt" that surely looks just like everyone else's Garlic bread... :P

ve2vfd

Postby ve2vfd » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:48 pm

Old thread, but what the heck...

In most Montreal stations we pay $6-$7 per shift (we're on 10/14).

The vast majority of FF's have a communal meal in their stations. In many smaller stations (1 truck) everyone cooks, and in larger stations (2+ trucks) there is often a regular cook (who gains a few privileges).

Oh and of course, the cook of the day is king on his kitchen... :) nobody has any rights to bitch about the meal if they didn't cook it... hee hee hee!

Pat
If electricity comes form electrons, then surely morality comes from...

DoubleHelix

Postby DoubleHelix » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:45 pm

On my shift we really only cook on Sundays. We work a total of 6 days, 6 nights and a 24 hour sunday in a 28 day cycle.

We always have a big breakfast and then a big dinner. Our meals usually come to about 15 bucks or so for the day but thats if we get ice cream and all the trimmings.

Sometimes I wish we cooked more but im sure it can become a hastle sometimes with calls.

bestcoast

Postby bestcoast » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:20 am

DoubleHelix wrote:Sometimes I wish we cooked more but im sure it can become a hastle sometimes with calls.

We cook every shift and yeah it can definatley be a challenge if your in one of the busier halls..............BC.................

DoubleHelix

Postby DoubleHelix » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:55 am

Yeah when I did my college work placement in Toronto we cooked every shift.

But the luxory was that we had 2 guys on the air light truck that barely moved and 1 guy on the command vehicle. So if both trucks went out for a call there was still 3 people to attend to the meal.

It's a great way though for everyone to get closer. Some of the best memories I have from that month were in the kitchen.