Solar Panel SOG

Safety and hazards on the job...
Finally437

Solar Panel SOG

Postby Finally437 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am working on doing up an SOG here at my department in relations to solar panels/wind turbines.

I was wondering if anyone had taken the Firefighter Solar power Safety Awareness Seminar that was instructed by Denis St. Denis in conjunction with SolPowered Energy Corporation?? Looks like it was done in and around Ottawa (The instructor is/was with the City of Ottawa)

If you have can you please let me know, as I am looking for some information from it. As well, if anyone already has an SOG at their department regarding these that they wouldn't mind sharing with me so I can see what your department thinks.

Thanks everyone! stay safe.

Finally437 aka Trish

guitarmedic87

Postby guitarmedic87 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:56 pm

We had little discussion about this a year or so ago... you might find some uselful info.

http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthrea ... anel+fires

jasperfire

Underwriter's Laboratory Report

Postby jasperfire » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:50 pm

No SOG on my end but a pretty enlightening report issued two months ago from UL. Take into account a whole range of safety issues and PPE variability... Hope this helps

http://greenmaltese.com/files/2011/12/P ... Report.pdf

Cheers, Jasper

guitarmedic87

Postby guitarmedic87 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Whoa.. Thanks for the info.. Its going to take more than one trip to the "office" to read through it all tho...

Finally437

Postby Finally437 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Jasperfire...Thanks!...I will certainly look into it!
Guitarmedic...I took a look at that thread, helped me out a bit, but not alot.

Thanks again you two!

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:55 pm

[quote=""Finally437""]Hi Everyone,

I am working on doing up an SOG here at my department in relations to solar panels/wind turbines.

I was wondering if anyone had taken the Firefighter Solar power Safety Awareness Seminar that was instructed by Denis St. Denis in conjunction with SolPowered Energy Corporation?? Looks like it was done in and around Ottawa (The instructor is/was with the City of Ottawa)

If you have can you please let me know, as I am looking for some information from it. As well, if anyone already has an SOG at their department regarding these that they wouldn't mind sharing with me so I can see what your department thinks.

Thanks everyone! stay safe.

Finally437 aka Trish[/quote]

Drop FFwannabe a pm, she is with Ottawa, maybe can help. :)
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

Finally437

yay!

Postby Finally437 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm

irsqyu, I actually had a telephone conference with Denis St. Denis himself this morning on this topic :D What a knowledgable and great man! He has given me alot of information just in the 30 min conversation, but we might try and bring him out west here to do a seminar on Solar Panel and fires.

In the meantime, I have done ALOT of research and have prepared a 5 pages information session that I will probably train my department on, and I have obtained a firefighter training series on PV fires, which gives me the powerpoint, handouts, and instructors notes.

So if anyone wants information, I am more than will to assist. Thanks all!

jim7966

Postby jim7966 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:16 pm

There is a binder in the Ontario Fire College Library on Firefighter Safety and solar panels. It was put together by Michael Ng one of the OFM engineers and it is under the electrical fires section. They may be able to send it to you or send you a copy.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 pm

There was presentation at the H&S seminar last week on solar panels the guys involve with these things told us to basically treat all of them as live even when shut down.They also say that anything written on them today....is likel outdated tomorrow.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

Finally437

Postby Finally437 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks Jim and DH. I have created a powerpoint on solar panel awareness and to make yourself safe. I spoke with a gentleman out of Ottawa Fire regarding it as well. DH you are very right on your statement, they are live even if you think they are shut down, something I will be passing onto my crews. Thanks!