Alarm bells ringing

Safety and hazards on the job...
jeffreyclark

Alarm bells ringing

Postby jeffreyclark » Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Quick question:

What is your department doing when investigating alarm bells ringing in apartment buildings and such?
Do you walk in and silence, than investigate and give all clear? or,
Investigate and all clear, than silence alarm?

Im curious for the health reasons(loud) and communications reasons

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 pm

With nothing showing on arrival, we will silence (Not Reset!) and investigate.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

jeffreyclark

alarms

Postby jeffreyclark » Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 pm

reasoning behind that PNEFD?

thanks for the reply!

canadianized

Postby canadianized » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

If its a big building (high rise) and people are still in the process of evacuating the building and all of the sudden the bells turn off, there's a high chance those people will just go back to where they were before. People will assume everything is normal when if the bells are turned off and its safe. From what I see anyways as a tech... I say leave them on if there's a fire until youre 100% sure everyone is evacuated and even then, what about people entering the parking lot (parkade and such) they probably won't know whats going on if the bells are off

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm

[quote=""jeffreyclark""]reasoning behind that PNEFD?

thanks for the reply![/quote]

We don't really have any high rises to deal with. If there is nothing showing, we will conduct a quick search, silence if nothing is found, and someone, usually the IC will stand by the panel while a team looks for the issue further.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

3rdGen

Postby 3rdGen » Wed May 08, 2013 11:57 am

we investigate and then silence.
i wear vented ear plugs (fitted to my ear with a little vent that lets in radio etc)

people stop evacuating/return to their units as soon as the bells go off and they likely would write off the alarm going off again if we found something. plus when we are investigating and people are returning it takes a lot longer (crowded hallways/stairs)
"You can't be wrong for doing the right thing"