Hurt on Scene

Safety and hazards on the job...

How bad you have been injurded on a call.

Serious
7%
Severe
7%
Mild
41%
Bumps and Bruises
45%

Total votes: 44

JGallagher

Hurt on Scene

Postby JGallagher » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:55 pm

Has any one been injured on a call. Well It happend to me yesterday. I fell down a hill at the paper mill yesterday and now have a sore chest. A pulp hill caught on fire and I lost my footing. I am glad that I didnt fall the other way which was alot farthur down. So lets hear about your injuries. Have som fun too. Add a poll!!

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Yup...one serious...one severe....
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

Toxic

Postby Toxic » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:27 pm

The most common for me is a sore lower back. I've had some cuts and bruises but nothing really serious. Lucky I guess...
If at first you don't succeed; skydiving isn't for you!

wilderness

Postby wilderness » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:51 pm

Over come by the exhaust of the truck while operating the pump.... the exhaust is vented on the driver side, but that will become a health and saftey issue, and now will be vented passenger side...

[align=center:2jsip9q8]Lets Be damned Sure[/size:2jsip9q8][/align:2jsip9q8]
[align=center:2jsip9q8]That No Man's Ghost[/size:2jsip9q8][/align:2jsip9q8]
[align=center:2jsip9q8]Will Ever Say[/size:2jsip9q8][/align:2jsip9q8]
[align=center:2jsip9q8][color=red:2jsip9q8]"If Your Training Program[/color:2jsip9q8][/size:2jsip9q8][/align:2jsip9q8]
[align=center:2jsip9q8][color=red:2jsip9q8]Had Only Done It's Job"[/color:2jsip9q8][/size:2jsip9q8][/align:2jsip9q8]

ABFF37

Postby ABFF37 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:58 pm

Smoke inhalation at an apartment fire...that lead to a serious lung infection and two weeks off the job recovering and taking antibiotics. It was sucky to say the least. Other than that just the odd bumps and bruises...knock on wood...

AB

cdnbacon

Postby cdnbacon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:40 pm

I've come close to serious maybe worse, but mainly just bumps, bruises, scrapes and small burns.
What The Deuce?

ssifire

Serious Injury

Postby ssifire » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:04 pm

JGallagher wrote: So lets hear about your injuries. Have som fun too.
Very serious injury!!!!

Lost an elbow....good thing we had another back at the hall! :D It's a bitch when the hose kinks, you know.

Thank-you, you've been a great crowd, don't forget to tip your waitress on the way out.
Remember: Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweatty stuff!

smoke286

Postby smoke286 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:01 am

ABFF37 wrote:Smoke inhalation at an apartment fire...that lead to a serious lung infection and two weeks off the job recovering and taking antibiotics. It was sucky to say the least. Other than that just the odd bumps and bruises...knock on wood...

AB

Ewwww, did you have to do the blood gas thing?
24/7, as long as the city can afford the O/T

smoke286

Postby smoke286 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:03 am

Strains and torn ligaments mostly,a couple of minor burns, one knee is shot,lol
24/7, as long as the city can afford the O/T

ABFF37

Postby ABFF37 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:02 pm

smoke286 wrote:Ewwww, did you have to do the blood gas thing?
I think that they tested my blood for that purpose, either way I had three blood tests taken, two right away, and then one a week later. At the time I just assumed it was to check for toxins etc. but now that you mention it, that's likely what they were doing.

I presented with cold like symptoms right after the fire, and by the next morning (this fire was at around midnight on my last nightshift of the tour) was coughing constantly to the point of coughing up blood. I went to my doctor who listened to my chest and did a few other tests, he then sent me off for chest x-rays. They turned up fluid in both lungs, for which the technical term is "bilateral pleural effusion" if I remember correctly. I was prescribed an anti-biotic specific to lung and respiratory tract infections called "Avelox". I went home and went to bed hoping that things would get better, but found myself short of breath later on that afternoon, so my family drove me to the hospital where I got a nebulizer to help ease the congestion. After a couple of days things took a positive turn and I started feeling better, and I was back to work in about two weeks.

I'm definatly thankful for the hard work that our health and safety department put in for me, as they took care of all the paper work and workers comp forms that I was too ill to even worry about at the time lol. Definately a crappy situation, but at the very least it gave me a tremendous respect for how patients with respiratory problems must feel like at medical calls!

AB