Hurt on Scene

Safety and hazards on the job...

How bad you have been injurded on a call.

Serious
7%
Severe
7%
Mild
41%
Bumps and Bruises
45%

Total votes: 44

firefighter26

Postby firefighter26 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:54 pm

For me, Just some minor things such as small cuts from tempered class particles, etc. One time during practice I threw my knee out doing a building search in the dark... just tweeked it the wrong way and spent a day hobbling around being laughed at.

Other than that, not much. One guy broke his finger doing truck checks many years ago.... put the pen down or something and it rolled off the shelve, went to grab it and stubbed his finger straight on. Swelled up and an ex-ray showed it was broken.

Knock on wood, our deparment has a great safety record when it comes to injury with little more than minor bumps or cuts....

.... this one guy, however, claims he got glass and metal shardes in his eyes during practice..... however, the jury is still out because it was just shy of 4 weeks from the night of the practice he claims it happened on to when he went to the doctor. In between he attended three other weekly practices a full day of Live fire level one training, three calls (if I remember correctly), and two bi-weekly duty crews.... all without a single complaint to anyone or noticable sign of redness or irritation. During this period, from what I understand, he was working under the table as a laborur on a construction site, so it is my personal opinion that it was a scam. However, Scott (chief at the time) put in the paperwork for WCB to review.....

........to bad he is not covered anymore with the change over in insurance as it is considered a pre-existing condition (Note, our previous insurance we tried to fight to keep covered any and all pre-existing conditions, even medical ones!).... then again, he was one two guys that said he had our backs and stabbed in the back us when it came crunch time, so it is also my personal opinion that he gets what he deserves.......
"No one ever called the fire department for doing something smart"
- Unknown

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper

Michael13

Postby Michael13 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:16 am

A couple minor burns and kinked my neck once looking behind me. Neck swelled up and I had to walk around for 2 days withmy ear stuck to my shoulder. Doc put me some sort of drug to redice swelling, but it took a full week to get it back on straight!

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:56 am

I think that they tested my blood for that purpose, either way I had three blood tests taken, two right away, and then one a week later. At the time I just assumed it was to check for toxins etc. but now that you mention it, that's likely what they were doing.-Quote ABFF37

If they stuck a larger than average size needle into one of your arteries usually the radial or femoral, and the blood looked darker than uaual then you had your blood gasses done.They take oxygenated blood and check for all the levels of junk and stuff.It always looked like a painful outing to me in all the times I saw it done on concious pts especially if it was being done by a resident or intern.

I had my feelings hurt on a call once.Does that count?

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

Scuba

Postby Scuba » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:56 pm

dentedhead wrote: I had my feelings hurt on a call once.Does that count?

They tell you to put your pants back on? LOL

smoke286

Postby smoke286 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:39 pm

ABFF37 wrote:I think that they tested my blood for that purpose, either way I had three blood tests taken, two right away, and then one a week later. At the time I just assumed it was to check for toxins etc. but now that you mention it, that's likely what they were doing.

AB

Oh, you.d know if they did the blood gas thing. They put a ginormous needle up between the knuckles of your fingers.

Yeeouch!!!! :eek:
24/7, as long as the city can afford the O/T

Ladymedic

Postby Ladymedic » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:41 pm

dentedhead wrote:I

Dentedhead

I believe you mean FEELING (singular) don't you DH? :p

FFWannabe

Postby FFWannabe » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:48 pm

ScubaJude wrote:They tell you to put your pants back on? LOL
Bwwwaaahahahhaahahaha.... shoot... okay, again, no one saw me laughing!!!

Sue :)

ABFF37

Postby ABFF37 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:18 pm

dentedhead wrote:I think that they tested my blood for that purpose, either way I had three blood tests taken, two right away, and then one a week later. At the time I just assumed it was to check for toxins etc. but now that you mention it, that's likely what they were doing.-Quote ABFF37

If they stuck a larger than average size needle into one of your arteries usually the radial or femoral, and the blood looked darker than uaual then you had your blood gasses done.They take oxygenated blood and check for all the levels of junk and stuff.It always looked like a painful outing to me in all the times I saw it done on concious pts especially if it was being done by a resident or intern.

Dentedhead
Originally posted by smoke286
Oh, you.d know if they did the blood gas thing. They put a ginormous needle up between the knuckles of your fingers.
Yeeouch!!!! Smoke286[/QUOTE]

They must not have been doing it then, because that doesn't really ring a bell. They took the blood from my left arm all three times, right around the crease of my elbow. They never really did explain what they were looking for in the blood (as opposed to the chest x-rays that they explained in quite a bit of detail) so I don't know exactly what they would have been looking for. Oh well, I guess they never turned up anything too serious, since they never told me anything more about the results other than not to worry about it. :D

AB

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:14 pm

ScubaJude wrote:They tell you to put your pants back on? LOL

Yes sumpin about frightening the mayor, who was watching from the sidewalk.

Dentedhead

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:19 pm

Ladymedic wrote:I believe you mean FEELING (singular) don't you DH? :p

Yes along with the one nerve I have left.......and your on it.

OHH an oldie but a goodie.

Dentedhead