Hurt on Scene

Safety and hazards on the job...

How bad you have been injurded on a call.

Serious
7%
Severe
7%
Mild
41%
Bumps and Bruises
45%

Total votes: 44

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:24 pm

ABFF37 wrote:Originally posted by smoke286
Oh, you.d know if they did the blood gas thing. They put a ginormous needle up between the knuckles of your fingers.
Yeeouch!!!! Smoke286

They must not have been doing it then, because that doesn't really ring a bell. They took the blood from my left arm all three times, right around the crease of my elbow. They never really did explain what they were looking for in the blood (as opposed to the chest x-rays that they explained in quite a bit of detail) so I don't know exactly what they would have been looking for. Oh well, I guess they never turned up anything too serious, since they never told me anything more about the results other than not to worry about it. :D

AB[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a routine blood test,prolly just making sure you were clean and all your blood chemistry was in the normal range.It just wont give O2 info because it is venous blood.

BTW bro glad it all worked out.
Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

ABFF37

Postby ABFF37 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:43 pm

dentedhead wrote:That sounds like a routine blood test,prolly just making sure you were clean and all your blood chemistry was in the normal range.It just wont give O2 info because it is venous blood.

BTW bro glad it all worked out.
Dentedhead

Thanks brother!
That was almost a year ago now, and I can say after going through it that it worked out about as well as it could have. I know now more than ever how fortunate I have been, as well as pretty much my entire family, to have always had good health. I never had been to a hospital in my life except for when I was born, and driving the odd ambulance for EMS. Being that sick for a couple of weeks (and that was just a drop in the bucket compared to what some people face each day) gave me an appreciation for how truly fortunate I am. One of the many life lessons that this job has taught me I suppose. Hmmmm...gives me an idea for a new thread...

AB

SmokeandFire911

Postby SmokeandFire911 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:06 am

During my career I have had a few "incidents"....

The first was right at the begining of my career....responded to a structure fire, was interior on the line....an incoming Mutual aid department crew "thoughtfully" freelancing, pulled a ceiling down on myself and my Captain....we both recieved burns....

Second was a wonderful experience of blowing my knee out ( shredded cartlidge, torn acl and ripped mcl).....NEVER experienced pain like that...couldn;t move it AT ALL.....all while running to get on the Apparatus parked on "the Ramp"..rolled my foot over a stone with a sudden stop.......and my damb crew laughing at me like hell as they climbed on board and rolled out without me as I layed rolling on the ramp......eventually the Deputy came back and checked on me and called the meat wagon.......

since then...I have been relatively "safe".........lol.......

pompier5

Postby pompier5 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 am

in 21 yrs, i've had three incidents worth mentionning... the first was in my 3rd year... I drove the pump truck (1966 gmc) to the scene of a house fire, the pump operator was waiting for me on scene, I got off and started laying down some hose to the front of the house for the guys to go in, but some idiot opened up the garage door just as I was passing by, I got blasted by the brownish black smoke coming out of there, went back to get my air pack on, about 5 minutes later I started feeling dizzy and lost consciousness... I woke up with an oxygen mask in my face... the second time, I was in the station filling up our tanker after a fire, and I got whacked by the white metal ceiling fan, losing a couple of layers of skin off my left shoulder (the fan came off two weeks after) and the third, I had just gotten engaged a week before, and while working a barn fire, I had to go up top of our tanker and when came time to come down, my ring finger got stuck in the ladder as I tried to jump off the bumper... I was hanging by the ring until someone helped me off... so I learned my lesson, don't get engaged.... lol

MFD_31

Postby MFD_31 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:43 pm

I had a wall fall on me during overhaul. I thought it broke my arm but it didn't. My wrist still "clicks" when I move it. Lots of bumps and bruises. Heat stress sometimes.
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sounds easy if you say it fast"