Occupational Health & Safety

Safety and hazards on the job...
firecaptain13

Occupational Health & Safety

Postby firecaptain13 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:24 pm

Does anyone have a presentation on Occupational Health & Safety relating to volunteer fire departments. We all have Health & Safety in our workplaces how does this relate to the volunteer fire dept.

Firecaptain13

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:28 pm

firecaptain13 wrote:Does anyone have a presentation on Occupational Health & Safety relating to volunteer fire departments. We all have Health & Safety in our workplaces how does this relate to the volunteer fire dept.

Firecaptain13
I would say your provincial OHSA act should spell it out.I think there was a thread started today about H&S through the OFM.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

CBNC

Postby CBNC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 pm

If you are in ontario the OSHA covers all workers as if your volunteers are paid while working (litmus test for worker is wether they are paid). Also WSIB kicks in if one of your volunteers are injured while on duty. I agree with Dentedhead in that it's best to consult the code and regs to find answers to your specific questions. I like the folowing website (canada legal library) b/c it has most laws/regs in canada plus case law so you can look up any prescedent setting cases in regards to specific incidents/circumstances.

http://www.canlii.ca

if in ontario in addition to the FPPA take a look at teh following to get you started

occupational health & safety act + regs
workers safety and insurance act
Human rights Code

Hope this helps.

MFD_31

Postby MFD_31 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:02 pm

I am a Health and Safety Officer in NB and I give a presentation to FDs (usually volunteer) on how the NB OHS Act and Regulations relate to fire departments. Everyone seems to learn a lot and it is a real eye opener for most. It is a win-win as the FD gets the info and 10-30 FFs go back to their "day jobs" with a bit more knowledge on Health and Safety and how it applies to them at their workplace.
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sounds easy if you say it fast"

Arnika

Psychological health

Postby Arnika » Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 am

WHO's definition of health: "a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." Oups, it should say "psychological", not "mental".

Did you know you can learn how to improve psychological health of yours, your co-workers, your patients, etc?