Public safety during evacuation of building

Discuss & collaborate on issues of public safety and fire prevention.
FireChief81

Public safety during evacuation of building

Postby FireChief81 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

hello, our department just had a fire call at a local apartment building which forced the evacuation of the entire apartment complex out into -40 temperatures in the middle of the night. Thankfully it was only a false alarm and resolved quickly, but it brought about the question...who's responsibility is it to ensure the safety of the building occupants had this become a prolonged event? -40 temperatures in flip flops and the shirt on your back will only escalate the situation rather quickly...

Is it the responsibility of the owner to have provisions for this type of situation in their fire safety plan? Is it up to the fire department or is it up to the individuals themselves?

We are a small town with limited resources available, especially between 11pm - 7am.

Thanks

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 am

The simplest solution, IMHO, is to require that provision in the buildings fire safety plan, and then help them implement it... Churches, schools, school bus lines, and community service groups are usually pretty accommodating, especially with what should be infrequent events like this.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

HookandLadder

Postby HookandLadder » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 am

I think a part of this responsibility also lies with the FD. It's good scene management, and a strong incident commander should let dispatch know right away to contact the local transit service, rural school bus line, some kind of transit mutual aid agreement or even St Johns Ambulance to have some type of warm vehicles or a large bus brought to the scene, within minutes of a call to handle the evacuated occupants.

Those relationships and emergency contact numbers should already be in place, within your fire department or existing 2nd party dispatch center. Thats how it is handled within our fire department. Its defintiley something to look into. Good Luck!
" When the elevator doors open, if it's hot...dont get out!" - Lt. Steven McCaffrey

someday

Postby someday » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 pm

[quote=""FireChief81""]hello, our department just had a fire call at a local apartment building which forced the evacuation of the entire apartment complex out into -40 temperatures in the middle of the night. Thankfully it was only a false alarm and resolved quickly, but it brought about the question...who's responsibility is it to ensure the safety of the building occupants had this become a prolonged event? -40 temperatures in flip flops and the shirt on your back will only escalate the situation rather quickly...

Is it the responsibility of the owner to have provisions for this type of situation in their fire safety plan? Is it up to the fire department or is it up to the individuals themselves?

We are a small town with limited resources available, especially between 11pm - 7am.

Thanks[/quote]

how did you get to be a chief? should u not already know the answer??

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 pm

[quote=""someday""]how did you get to be a chief? should u not already know the answer??[/quote]

Seriously???? Why would you ask such a silly question boy. He's asking the opinion of adults... go sit at the kiddies table

Chief, I would see if a community hall is available, commandeer any busses you can and perhaps a nearby Coffee shop (usually open all night). Church or place of prayer to keep warm.

Good question
How the hell did I end up here?????

someday

Postby someday » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 pm

[quote=""FLASHOVER05""]Seriously???? Why would you ask such a silly question boy. He's asking the opinion of adults... go sit at the kiddies table

Chief, I would see if a community hall is available, commandeer any busses you can and perhaps a nearby Coffee shop (usually open all night). Church or place of prayer to keep warm.

Good question[/quote]

No seriously, if he's the chief , then he should have already have those plans worked out . is that not part of emergency planning.

bigsmoke

"Someday" - doubt it

Postby bigsmoke » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 am

[quote=""someday""]No seriously, if he's the chief , then he should have already have those plans worked out . is that not part of emergency planning.[/quote]

Well, when you're a big boy and get hired you can take care of all the things you seem to know about.

someday

Postby someday » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am

[quote=""bigsmoke""]Well, when you're a big boy and get hired you can take care of all the things you seem to know about.[/quote]

I see you u have an answer........NOT. maybe the qualifications to become chief arent as high as i thought.

chief asked a question , i asked one back. why attack me . i simply stated that i thought a chief wouldve known that answer .

FireChief81

Postby FireChief81 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 am

Yes this should be part of emergency planning, which is why I am seeking input. Believe it or not, the position of Fire Chief is a newly created position within our department, particularly to develop and implement necessary emergency planning and standardized policies and operating guidelines, which until now had been lacking.

Having come in recently from an outside agency, yes, it has been somewhat challenging at times, but I am not embarrassed by that fact nor will I run and hide from those challenges.

Rome was not built in 1 day, and nor is an efficient and effective Fire Department, but thanks to those who come on this forum to provide and share relevant feedback and information, I truly believe my department and I will continue to evolve into something to be extremely proud of.

Thanks to all who have provided relevant information.

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 am

[quote=""someday""]I see you u have an answer........NOT. maybe the qualifications to become chief arent as high as i thought.

chief asked a question , i asked one back. why attack me . i simply stated that i thought a chief wouldve known that answer .[/quote]

Your question falls under the old saying or: "some things are better left unsaid!"

The spirit in which you asked your question was not in a supportive manner. The fire service is about compassion, service, and working as a team. That means helping without judgment and backing one another up.

The chief asked a question in regards to how other services handle the situation. This forum is for that.
My response to you was also inappropriate. But too often we have members of our service losing focus on the proud profession we have and focusing on only themselves. Don;t fall into that trap. As evident by my own response, it's far easier than not.

Good luck in your endeavor if you are not already a firefighter.