People paniking at incidents...

Nagrom

People paniking at incidents...

Postby Nagrom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 pm

Does this happen often to you? It happens at MVAs a lot for us around here it seems. A neighboring dept got an MVA call the other day, with fluids leaking and injuries. I happened upon the scene on the way home, and there were no injuries, or fluids. We also got a call a while ago, for a single vehicle MVA with injuries, possible entrapment. No trucks were rolled. The car slid off the road.No injuries, and it appeared very minimal damage to the car.
I think it is great that people report these. I would rather be woken up and sent out at 1:30 AM than to have someone hurt or dying sitting in a car, but it uses up valuable resources when simple stuff is called in, and there is no need at all for us. Do you catch my drift? Better public education would help. Any thoughts?

PFD023

Postby PFD023 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:39 pm

Good topic.
I guess it matters who makes the 911 call and how much info they have. A passerby may see the MVA and think the world is falling apart....FD arrives to find that both cars have driven off (happened to us a few times). Lack of information supplied to and/or given from the dispatcher has a big impact as well.
Going to these kind of calls is part of the job and I guess thats why we get paid the big bucks.....oh ya .... I'm a volunteer.....(hence no IAFF avatar).
Personally I'm kinda fond of the activated alarms which are a result of the alarm company testing their system and not notifying the proper folks.
Last edited by PFD023 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: crappy typing skills

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:45 pm

I'd rather be dispatched for nothing than not dispatched for something. We've had it both ways called out for nothing, and on the other hand hearing about a call we weren't sent to that turned out we should have.
You've got to look at how these calls are dispatched. Remember the game telephone when you were a kid. Well some of these calls go through enough people that are dealing with multiple things, that the message gets a little messed up. Its like we say all the time, the taxpayers are paying me good money to be on duty so it doesn't matter to me whether I'm in the kitchen or on the side of the road!
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

PellattFire

Postby PellattFire » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 pm

[quote=""PFD023""]Good topic.
I guess it matters who makes the 911 call and how much info they have. A passerby may see the MVA and think the world is falling apart....FD arrives to find that both cars have driven off (happened to us a few times). Lack of information supplied to and/or given from the dispatcher has a big impact as well.
Going to these kind of calls is part of the job and I guess thats why we get paid the big bucks.....oh ya .... I'm a volunteer.....(hence no IAFF avatar).
Personally I'm kinda fond of the activated alarms which are a result of the alarm company testing their system and not notifying the proper folks.[/quote]
I like the inept alarm company personnel who dispatch fire for a mechanical fault from the panel or the mass calls after a power surge myself.

Most of the time it's just a nice break from chores or work to drive around and chat with FF I might not have seen for a few days.

I do get cranky when the roads are like skating rinks and we get something that really should have been a no-brainer.

So much happens between dispatchers and callers though that I like to cut them as much slack as I can.

Just like us they would rather make an error on the safe side of the equation.

Let's face it, Joe citizen is not used to seeing things critically while under stress. They freak out because they are not ready to do otherwise.

kriand

Postby kriand » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 am

On a related note...........

CELL PHONE CALLERS

People with cell phones that are driving by something that they think they might have seen. Calls like ,
smoke visible = STEAM or smoke from exhaust stacks
mva = CAR(s) parked or broken down on the side of the road.
Vehicle Fire = Overheated , or powder from airbag

etc etc.......so when we`re driving around looking for these things, and can`t find them , we get dispatch to call them back and there is no answer or they don`t know where they are.

If you want to call in a 911 call on your cell phone , stick around to point out the emergency to the appropriate agency when they arrive.

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 pm

[quote=""kriand""]On a related note...........

CELL PHONE CALLERS

People with cell phones that are driving by something that they think they might have seen. Calls like ,
smoke visible = STEAM or smoke from exhaust stacks
mva = CAR(s) parked or broken down on the side of the road.
Vehicle Fire = Overheated , or powder from airbag

etc etc.......so when we`re driving around looking for these things, and can`t find them , we get dispatch to call them back and there is no answer or they don`t know where they are.

If you want to call in a 911 call on your cell phone , stick around to point out the emergency to the appropriate agency when they arrive.[/quote]

And in Ontario, the poor guy with the overheated rad on the 400 will get a $350 bill from the Ministry of Transportation if we respond! :(

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:20 pm

[quote=""irsqyu""]And in Ontario, the poor guy with the overheated rad on the 400 will get a $350 bill from the Ministry of Transportation if we respond! :([/quote]

That's if he gets a discount. Richmond hill or Markham are charging 300 a truck.
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

CrazyLadder

Postby CrazyLadder » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:27 pm

One of my personal favorites is the MVA with liquids leaking, no injuries, no entrapment, no apparent risk of fire. Its windshield washer fluid ... evacuate to 1km call in haz-mat!!!

FitSsikS

Postby FitSsikS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:36 pm

[quote=""irsqyu""]And in Ontario, the poor guy with the overheated rad on the 400 will get a $350 bill from the Ministry of Transportation if we respond! :([/quote]

Hey that's a bargain, if you're responding from Burlington! :p
On paid duty 24/7........................a month.

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:37 pm

[quote=""FitSsikS""]Hey that's a bargain, if you're responding from Burlington! :p [/quote]

Ah yes I guess thats true, not too many responses to the 400, but plenty to the Quick & Easy Way as well as the 403 and the 407

For Itsnotahobby, it is pretty well standard for the province, I have filled out many invoices. We all fill out the MTO invoices on line. It basically allows for a minimum $350 charge for responding as long as you do SOMETHING, IE block a lane for scene safety while you investigate for hazards or injuries. If you get waved off you collect nothing. If there is an actual working incident then it is $350 per truck per hour.
A few years ago we got the minimum fee as soon as a wheel touched the on ramp, not so any more.