Just then my pager goes off...

DFCSmash

Postby DFCSmash » Sat May 27, 2006 11:56 pm

telesquirt wrote:By the way----I was just doing some work in the basement on my electrical panel------carefully reach in with a screwdriver and my pager goes off!!!---man! talk about a special delivery into my pants. :o
Yep, thatll do it! Bzzzzzzzzzzttttttt! I'm on my way! lol
This is of course only my opinion. But then again, what else matters? It is not necessarily the opinion or policy of the department I belong to or the community I live in.

DCCHam "I agree with DFCSmash though"
goosebump "I have to agree with DFCSMASH"
iamvff "I need to borrow some of that good ole common sense of yours"
ScubaJude "DFCS-Great Reply"
PellattFire "I like your way of thinking though"

Proud member of the National Sarcasm Society
"Like we need your support"

fireman-911

Postby fireman-911 » Sun May 28, 2006 11:26 am

Well, thanks for the "reminder" to turn off the pager during the delivery. Luckily, I have a few months left before I have to worry about that, but I'm also sure that my wife will remind me to turn it off! LOL
Joel Gallant
Dieppe Fire Dept

ABFF37

Postby ABFF37 » Sun May 28, 2006 5:55 pm

When I was in Search and Rescue I carried a pager. I remember one night coming home and being absolutely exhausted, I went straight to bed. My pager was on vibrate instead of regular mode, and I forgot to put it down on a hard surface. Instead it stayed cliped to my pants on the carpeted floor. I woke up in the morning to find that I had missed all of the pages for one of the biggest searches in months. I was pretty pissed!

I don't have a pager anymore, so that was my one life lesson with them. Make sure that they are set up right so that they'll wake you up if need be!!! ;)

AB :p

Danno3273

Forgot my son

Postby Danno3273 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:01 pm

My worse was the day my son and I were up on the roof shovelling the mounds of snow we get here. Got a call for a VSA so of course you get tunnel vision and away you go. I got to the hall, got in our rescue unit. It was not until the paramedics arrived and did a field pronouncement that i realized I left my son on the roof by himself.

Needless to say that the father of the year award was NOT given to me that year

fireman-911

Postby fireman-911 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm

Danno3273 wrote:My worse was the day my son and I were up on the roof shovelling the mounds of snow we get here. Got a call for a VSA so of course you get tunnel vision and away you go. I got to the hall, got in our rescue unit. It was not until the paramedics arrived and did a field pronouncement that i realized I left my son on the roof by himself.

Needless to say that the father of the year award was NOT given to me that year
OOPS!

Kinda funny! Just cause I'm curious, how old was your son?
Joel Gallant
Dieppe Fire Dept

aaron88

Me TOO!!!

Postby aaron88 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:53 pm

wilderness wrote:got you all beat, bring my wife to the hospital for the birth of our daughter, and i,m at work and the pager goes off as i,m driving home to pick her up......

phoned from the truck, and she was yelling at me if you miss this birth your a dead man... i went pardon me and the phone went dead...... phoned my mother to pick her up and bring her to the hospital....... Chief says hey aren't you to be going the hospital? yea i said and laughed as i brought the truck to the fire.... I'am so pumped about this birth, i walk into the hospital in bunker pants. Nurse says excuse me sir where are you going, i said to witness the birth of life and she said not in that outfit your not... made me take it all off and have a shower before i got to see my wife, it was a cold welcome from the better half, but we laugh about it now....
I was at the hospital with my wife when the pager went off. I left and got to the call and got back in time to be there when my son was born. Good thing too, as I most likely wouldn't be alive to tell this story today. Not from the fire either, my wife may be small, but i've never fought a tougher fire. You can out them out, my wife remains burning for years. The cheif now uses my story as a reference when he asked why you missed the call "aaron can make it while his wife is having a baby, what is yourt excuse?

mitchfpo

I know it happens

Postby mitchfpo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:22 am

Once my girlfriend decided to get up early and wanted to go for breakfast. Needless to say I was pretty tired from the night before and didn't want to leave my warm bed. For about a half hour she kept pushing me, pulling the blackets off and she got dressed. My radio goes off for a working garbage bin fire 15 miles out of town. In a flash i'm out of bed, dressed and at the hall in less then 7 minutes.

When i returned an hour or so later I find her sleeping I try to wake her but had to wait a half hour until she wanted to leave. She wasn't happy and I was really hungry. Haven't missed a meal yet, but then again haven't had a early moring call in a while either.

Knock Knock
Mitch Newton
Fire Captain
Calmar Fire and Rescue

ROOKIELZ

Postby ROOKIELZ » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:24 am

This is kind of a twist on the intimate moment scenario.

Hubby and I were having a moment, when we got the page. We are BOTH VFF. To this day, we cannot figure out who left who first.

Then there was the time that we invited my parents to Easter supper. Page. I phoned my mother to say we had to leave, turkey is in the oven and the potatoes are boiling. Can you come finish cooking and if we aren't back in time, help yourselves.
We didn't make it back in time.
Mother was NOT amused...
If you are willing to teach,
I am willing to learn

IACOJ

fireice

Been there -- done that.

Postby fireice » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:26 pm

A few that come to mind for me:

. Just having finished a large, special dinner for my wife's birthday and setting it on the table.

. Having the power shut off to the house to install a breaker. (I assessed the situation and restored power to the house as it was safe to do so before I left.)

. Putting my summer car on blocks, I had just taught my four-year-old daughter how to put her weight at the end of the jack handle to raise the car. Told her to tell mommy I was leaving. As I roll out the driveway, I call my wife on the cell phone to tell her to keep my two girls away from the jack.

I remember watching a full-time guy on TV cooking food for his hall mates when a call came out and watching him take the extra five seconds to think about what he should do before he leaves his BBQ. He smartly turns it off and runs to the call. I always try to take that 3-5 seconds to think about what I am abandoning. I also keep the wallet and cell phone by the keys for any extra info I have to get out and also to pick up milk and bread on the way back from the call!

Living farthest from the station I always try to have everything ready, but I'd hate to have the next fire call at my house because I left in too much of a rush!

Brian911FD

Postby Brian911FD » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:46 pm

Hmm, after reading through this thread it appears that I am the ONLY ONE that was sitting in the barbers chair, only half done no less ... Thank god we have helmets.
911 - Here to help your ass, not kiss it!