Owen Sound Hiring

FF95

Confused...

Postby FF95 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:26 pm

[quote=""Reup""]congrats to those who were invited. If anyone who was invited doesn't mind listing off some of their qualifications I would really appreciate it, just seeing what I'm lacking. Also, are those who were invited only from the area?

Just curious...

Thanks guys, and good luck![/quote]

Honestly, I don't know what this dept was looking for... Below is a list of what I have and I didn't get an invite.

I'm currently on two volley depts ( rural and urban)
11 yrs in the fire service
Completed the Ontario ff curriculum (components 1,2 &3 + hazmat ops)
Certified ff
Numerous courses @ the OFC both ff and company officer
Emr and O2 admin
On county hazmat response team
Pump ops tf

Some ppl say it comes down to resume and cover letter and to a degree I agree with that. I have had both work for me with 10+ dept (smaller and very large dept) recruitments with advancing through to at least the written...

This one has me completely confused as to what sort of qualifications they were looking for. I thought with being a Smaller dept that they would what to hire someone with experience (both life and fire related) to help save on recruit training, both cost and time. I know in a past recruitment you had to be a licensed 310s mechanic.

If anyone who did get a call would mind sharing a little background it may shed some light on what the town was looking for.

Anyway, good luck to anyone who got the invite to write, I'm sure it's a great dept to work for.
Last edited by FF95 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irons22

Postby irons22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:53 pm

This is a smaller department and therefore they pick and choose the guy who knows the guy. I am willing to bet the person has already been chosen prior to the write, they just need to charge that $100.00 to people.. Wooot typical fire recruitment.

FF80

Postby FF80 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

I got a call. I have fire experience, courses, life experience, a university degree and building experience. I'm not from the area and I dont currently know anyone on the department or in the city. Form my research the chief and HR use some sort of scoring criteria for how they decide who writes. That being said I'm sure there is some stock put into your cover letter and resume. I have had to hire staff before and I know it doesn't hurt to have a resume that stands out from the pile, especially if they had the 400 plus that I heard applied.
Good luck to anyone else who was chosen to write and keep trying to those who didn't. With a career that is this competitive to get a job I can only hope that the best people will get the jobs.

FDready

Postby FDready » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 pm

OSFD any other smaller cities use a scoring system called the matrix. It looks for specific phrases or words in your résumé and scores them accordingly. You may have lots of expierence but it seems like so does everyone else. Take away your schooling take away your Volly expierence take away your EFR or EMR take away what you think is the best job you have that relates such as construction, forest firefighting, patient transfer or even some sort of fire safety company. Everyone has that. So now you've taken all that stuff off your résumé (obv don't actually take it off because you need it) what do you have left on there that puts you ahead of everyone else?
The problem I see here most is everyone has so much of the same stuff but everyone is so frustrated when they don't get selected. It's because even though your résumé is perfect for the service it's not better than the 20 that did more.
They have a dive team, are you dive rescued certified? They have water and ice rescue, have you got your pleasure craft operators card? Better yet, they have only the one hall and a HUGE part of the community because they literally know everyone; have you packed your résumé with vollunteer expierence such as coaching kids?

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 pm

[quote=""irons22""]This is a smaller department and therefore they pick and choose the guy who knows the guy. I am willing to bet the person has already been chosen prior to the write, they just need to charge that $100.00 to people.. Wooot typical fire recruitment.[/quote]

Nice try cowboy those days are long gone

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 pm

[quote=""FDready""]OSFD any other smaller cities use a scoring system called the matrix. It looks for specific phrases or words in your résumé and scores them accordingly. You may have lots of expierence but it seems like so does everyone else. Take away your schooling take away your Volly expierence take away your EFR or EMR take away what you think is the best job you have that relates such as construction, forest firefighting, patient transfer or even some sort of fire safety company. Everyone has that. So now you've taken all that stuff off your résumé (obv don't actually take it off because you need it) what do you have left on there that puts you ahead of everyone else?
The problem I see here most is everyone has so much of the same stuff but everyone is so frustrated when they don't get selected. It's because even though your résumé is perfect for the service it's not better than the 20 that did more.
They have a dive team, are you dive rescued certified? They have water and ice rescue, have you got your pleasure craft operators card? Better yet, they have only the one hall and a HUGE part of the community because they literally know everyone; have you packed your résumé with vollunteer expierence such as coaching kids?[/quote]

Wow that is one of the best responses I have seen on this website in many years.You have summed up in this paragraph what many of us have been saying for years.

Everybody has fire courses,where are the language skills the food handling courses the small engine mech courses the H&S courses need I go on? getting hired on a dept esp a small dept does not all come down to who has teh mod fire related courses!

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

FDready

Postby FDready » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:27 am

That's exactly the type of stuff that puts you ahead of the typical fire résumé. I know the guys in Owen Sound and they adviced me to take a small engines course back before I was on. They're small so they need people to step up to the plate with their union and health and safety. They take care of their own equipment unlike a bigger department who may have a maintenance division or air division, thats why they required a mechanic awhile back, because they can't afford to take the truck out of service for a simple job that can be done in station. Health and fitness is a big role now and Owen sound is always looking at programs to bring in to help the guys out with a healthier life style. So educate yourself on that.
There are so many other options out there for your résumé but everyone is only focusing on the suppression side of things. You have to look outside the box to be noticed or you'll just be another candidate with a kick ass fire suppression résumé with no call back.
Last edited by FDready on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Letsgettropical

Postby Letsgettropical » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Did anybody write OS and Mississauga notice more than half of the questions were the same?

someday

Postby someday » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:26 pm

[quote=""Letsgettropical""]Did anybody write OS and Mississauga notice more than half of the questions were the same?[/quote]

Not really , but I did notice that less than half were different

FF1001B

Postby FF1001B » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Did they use the same oral passage as Mississauga?